- Text Size +
He began to walk up the stairs, avoiding the large hole he had created earlier. As soon as he got to the top, he looked down both corridors, left and right of him, not seeing anything or anyone. He decided to wander the left corridor first, walking down and looking through each room. Once the left side was clear, he began to walk to the right corridor, expecting each room yet again.

“Alright Jay… your time is up!”

AJ grabbed his walkie-talkie and radioed in. “Alrighty then… go get Kevin?”

There was silence for a while. “Um… yeah, it says to go get Kevin and for both of you to return to the safe house.”

AJ nodded and had clipped his walkie-talkie back onto his holster, but as soon as he turned around, he froze. At the top of the stairs stood the same black cat he saw before he fell, and it just sat there, licking it’s paws again and cleaning itself.

“Damn cat…” AJ mumbled to himself, but just as he said that, a pair of arms had reached out from by the stairs and had grabbed the cat.

“What the fuck?” AJ shouted, taking his flashlight out and shining it by the stairs, no longer seeing the arms or the cat.

Slowly, he began to walk towards the stairs, keeping his flashlight on. As soon as he turned the corner to look down the stairs, he saw nothing. He just shook his head and began to quickly walk down the stairs, avoiding the hole once again. As soon as he got to the bottom of the stairs, he began to walk down the long hallway, over towards where Kevin was. As soon as he placed his hand on the knob, the door whipped open, revealing Kevin who was just staring at him.

Seconds later, Kevin walked out and had closed the door behind him, continuing to stare at AJ in such a dark matter. “Nick forgot this…” was all Kevin said as he shoved Nick’s walkie-talkie into AJ’s chest.

AJ gasped as he literally felt the wind being knocked out of his lungs as Kevin shoved the walkie-talkie to him, did he not realize his own strength? Kevin began to walk towards the entrance of the building, a puzzled AJ following close behind.

“Yo’ man… are you okay?” AJ softly asked.

Kevin looked over his shoulder, “Of course I am… why wouldn’t I be?”

AJ fell silent and shrugged. “I don’t know… you just don’t seem like yourself, you know? You seem angry or something…”

Kevin simply chuckled and shook his head, “No Alex… I’m not angry…”

AJ’s eyes widened. Kevin never called him ‘Alex’. The last time he called him by his real name was when he found him locked up in his house, trying to overcome his hangover. None of the guys really called him ‘Alex’ unless they were really mad, if they were irritated, or if they were trying to get their point across.

“Why did you call me that?”

Kevin paused to take a look back at him. “What do you mean ‘why did I call you that’? What did I call you?”

“Alex… why did you call me that?”

“I don’t know…” Kevin simply replied, shrugging his shoulders. “That is your name, right? Alexander James McLean… what, I can’t even call my brother by his real name? You know… I really don’t know why you insisted on going with AJ, that just doesn’t suit you… AJ isn’t who you are, Alex is the real you… you shouldn’t hide yourself, you know…”

AJ continued to stare at him awkwardly. Who the hell was this talking? AJ thought to himself. “This is who I am Kevin… I have been me for the past three years, you of all people should know that!”

“Look!” Kevin shouted, turning around to face a now scared AJ. “I’m not trying to pick a fucking fight with you, all I’m saying is that you should really consider getting rid of ‘AJ’ and going back to ‘Alex’… I like that name better anyway…”

Kevin turned back around and continued walking, leaving AJ standing there dumbfounded. “Who the hell are you?” he shouted, not meaning to really say it.

Kevin abruptly stopped, still facing forward. He began to laugh maniacally, slowly turning his head to the side. Before AJ knew what was happening, Kevin shot towards him like a lightening bolt and had grabbed him by the collar of his shirt, yanking a surprised AJ towards him. “Shut… the… fuck…up!”

AJ tried to wiggle out of his tight grasp, but Kevin only tightened his clenched fist around his shirt. “Get your fucking hands off me man…” AJ said in a low and warning tone.

Kevin continued to hold him in font of his face, and all of a sudden, he cracked a smile. He released his grasp on AJ’s shirt and turned around to walk away. AJ just stood there, shocked, staring at Kevin as he began walking towards the safe house. He fixed his ruffled shirt and had turned to look back at the building, before slowly and hesitantly following Kevin.