- Text Size +
AJ walked out of the bathroom, a towel draped over his shoulder, and his toothbrush sticking out of his mouth. “Read that again for me…”

Nick sighed and had pulled out the paper from the envelope, re-reading the letter once again. “Dear Mr. Alexander James McLean. The producers of MTV would like to offer you, as well as your four other band mates a chance of a life time to participate in a previous successful show in which we hope we can bring back to various viewers. The hit show known as “Fear” was known to grab the attention of many young viewers and had drawn them in to witness diverse people withstand and conquer their fears. This show has been successful over the past couple years, but it had faded from our program. We would now like to take this opportunity to bring the show back, showcasing famous celebrities, like yourselves, in withstanding and conquering their fears. We feel that accepting this opportunity will heightened your popularity and success once more and would gain even more viewers to witness the way celebrities handle and can conquer their fears. Please know that no other boy band/vocal group/celebrity has ever done what we are asking of you now. Please know that you five will be the first, and please consider in giving yourselves, as well as our hit show, a massive comeback. Sincerely, the producers of MTV.”

AJ just stood there, scrubbing the toothbrush over his teeth as white foam began to collect at the corner’s of his mouth. He quickly walked back into the bathroom and had turned the faucet on, rinsing his mouth out with water. He soon walked back into his room and just stared at Nick who was sitting on his bed, placing the letter back into the envelope.

“Heightened our popularity and success once more?” AJ questioned him as he took the towel that was on his shoulder, using it to pat his wet hair dry. “give ourselves a massive comeback? Who the hell do they think we are, *NSYNC?”

Nick shrugged and had tossed AJ’s letter to the side. “No, I’m pretty sure they meant us… I don’t recall a member by the name of Alexander James McLean being in *NSYNC.”

AJ could only laugh as he walked over towards the bed, grabbing his letter and opening it, deciding to read it for himself. He shook his head and grinned, crumpling the letter up and making a perfect shot in the waste basket. “This is ridiculous…”

“You wanna know something even more ridiculous?” Nick asked as he stretched out on AJ’s bed, lying on his back. “Both Howie and Kevin is all gung-ho for this ’publicity stunt’.”

AJ glanced at him and had sat down beside him on the bed. “It would be those two… especially Kevin! I can hear him now… ’C’mon fellas… lets do this, this is our one and only chance to have a massive comeback! We’ll be making history guys… no one has ever done this before!’” AJ mocked.

Nick chuckled and rose up off the bed. “Well, better go pack my things… we leave first thing tomorrow morning…”

“WHAT?!?” AJ exclaimed, literally shooting up from where he sat. “What the hell do you mean we leave first thing tomorrow morning?”

“Oh, did I forget to mention that?” Nick replied sarcastically. “If you don’t believe me, read the small printing down towards the bottom of the page… it has an asterous right next to it…”

AJ walked over to the trash can and had grabbed the balled-up letter, unfolding it and quickly scanning over it. “Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah… uh, please pack your things and be ready to depart first thing tomorrow morning. Damn, did they not want to give us time to think over our decision?”

“Apparently not…” Nick replied with a shrug. “They’re only doing this for the money… so when money talks, we just have to shut up and listen… do whatever it is asked of us.”

There was a slight knock on the door, and they both turned to see Brian poking his head through the crack. “Who’s ready to go a-huntin’ for some ghost…” Brian asked in a Neanderthal accent.

“I don’t ever want to hear you talk like that again…” AJ simply responded.

Nick chuckled and had folded his arms across his chest. “Don’t tell me that this stupid letter had corrupted your… oh-so holy mind and getting you to believe that ghost really exist!”

“Nah,” Brian answered. He pushed the door open wider and had walked further into the room, grabbing the letter from AJ and crumpling it into a tight ball once again. He shot it at the waste basket and muttered a slight “yes” to himself when he realized that his shot had actually rimmed off the rim of the trash can. “I honestly found that show a bunch of bull crap anyway…”

“So what is it? Three over two?” Nick asked no one in particular.

“You know with Kevin, it’s always minority tops majority for some reason…” AJ replied, seemingly in a phase.

“Welp,” Brian interjected, clasping his hands together. “Better get back to my room… so, I’ll catch up with ya’ll tomorrow morning!” and with that, he left AJ’s room, leaving the door open expecting Nick to follow suit.

Nick sighed and walked out of AJ’s room. “Night Bone…” he muttered as he silently closed the door behind him.

AJ walked towards the door and had latched it shut. He simply turned and stared at his empty room, leaning his body and head back into the door. He began walking towards his bed and had stopped when he caught sight of the crumpled letter lying on top mounds of garbage in his small waste basket. He shook his head… what they were about to do was completely ridiculous! But then again he remembered the times he would sit in his living room, flicking through channels, finally resting on MTV when nothing else seemed to interest him.

He remembered watching “Fear” every night at 7:00 p.m., not because he enjoyed that show, but due to the fact that hardly any good shows or movies was on at 7:00, so what better to watch than people getting the s*** scared outta them? He remembered hearing them scream and run from someone or something that wasn’t seen. What he remembered most was the fact that the survivors of the show would receive money in the end, whoever could withstand fear the longest. But then he began to think how such determined people had let fear get the best of them. Who would turn down thousands of dollars, especially over fear? He didn’t know how the show ran or what exactly would happen, all he knew was that he now declared their situation to be “insane”.