- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Wow dude. A freaking chapter. Un-freaking-believable!! I can't believe it took me this long and it took the fact of my story being featured to help push the progress along. Damn. I'm glad I was able overcome this... whatever it was preventing me from progressing on with updates, lol. I'm glad to say that I'm diligently working on the next chapter and will be having that up sometime real soon. Thank you to all those who have pushed and encouraged me, it really means a lot, more than you'll know. :)

“Another mission?” Nick groaned, “Haven’t we endured enough for tonight?”

“Tonight?” AJ repeated scornfully as he walked back towards them, “We’ve endured enough period, but some people just don’t know when enough is enough.”

Howie closed his eyes, feeling another argument on the horizon. “You guys, lets just please get on with this. The faster we get it done, the better.”

Nick sighed heavily and had allowed himself to fall back down on his cot, “If I’m selected, I ain’t doing it. Simple as that.”

Brian shook his head, not liking how everything was falling apart, all over a stupid game. He grabbed the mouse and moved the cursor over the “NEXT” button, clicking it and waiting for the computerized voice to give the instructions.

“Assignment number four. This mission only requires one color, white. Yellow will navigate. White, your mission is to investigate the chapel of the hospital. As you know, chapels are a place to worship God and to pray for the quick healing of the ailing or a quick passing for the dying. Patient George Pelowski, who’s mission was to commit murders and to collect as many souls as possible, transformed the chapel into his own sanctuary, a place he was building to become his ritual site, to help Lucifer rise from hell and reign on earth. Your job is to investigate the chapel and to find a chest that was strategically placed somewhere within the chapel. In the chest you will find a bunch of ritual objects and a list, which gives you detailed instructions on how to set up the location for a ritual that’ll occur later on down the line.”

AJ glanced over at Brian, trying to study his reaction. He knew Brian didn’t appreciate anything that interfered or twisted the religious practices or God in general in any way. “You don’t have to do this, you know.” AJ reassured.

Brian glanced up at AJ and gave a small smile, “It’s okay. My faith lies in one god and one god only… and He surmounts any and all evil.”

AJ nodded as Brian rose from his seat and made his way over towards his cot, where all his equipment was settled. As he began to strap up, he looked over at his cousin, who was laying sound asleep on his cot. He sighed heavily… he wish he knew what was happening with Kevin, why he was being so stubborn and defiant, why he’s insistent on finishing this game when now they were not only playing the game, but playing with their lives as well.

For the first time, Brian did something he normally did on a daily basis but had long slipped his mind since they arrived at this place; prayed.

“God… grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. The light of God surrounds us, the love of God enfolds us, the power of God protects us, the presence of God watches over us… wherever we are, God is.”

Once he was strapped up and ready to go, he proceeded to the door and out, stepping out of the safe house and into the middle of darkness. As he continued his trek onwards to the hospital, he continued on with his prayer.

“In the name of Jesus Christ, Your one and only Son who died and rose again for remission of sin, I bind, rebuke and render powerless: wrath, murder, condemnation, evil speaking, complaining, lying, false gifts, false manifestations, lying signs and wonders, fear of spirits, deceiving spirits, religious spirits, hindering spirits, retaliatory spirits, occult spirits, witchcraft spirits, spirits of antichrist and all familiar and territorial spirits.”

He crossed the bridge that linked one separate land to another, “I am God’s child. I resist the devil and declare that no weapon formed against me shall prosper. I put on the whole amour of God, my loins girt about with truth; and having on the breastplate of righteousness; and my feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace; taking the shield of faith, with which I shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked; the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God; praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching with all perseverance and supplication for all saints and declare it is an armor of light. I take authority over this day, let me walk in your love.”

Before he knew it, he was standing before the menacing building, silently hearing the cries of the murdered and trapped. He felt a wicked presence descend down upon him, but not once did he falter. “The Holy Spirit leads and guides me today and fills me with all the needed gifting and graces. I discern between the righteous and the wicked and I take authority over Satan and all his demons and those people who are influenced by them. I declare Satan is under my feet and shall remain there all day.”

With the pearl white moon gleaming brightly up above, it’s milky rays peering through the bare limbs of the overbearing trees, he took a deep breath in and walked up the steps towards the doors and opened it, walking slowly inside. “I claim a hedge of protection, by the Precious Blood of Jesus, around myself and my loved ones throughout this day and night. I ask you God, in the name of Jesus, to send angels to surround us today and everyday. I call on your holy angels to protect me, my family and loved ones from any harmful demonic or other psychical or mental attacks. I ask all of this in the name of Jesus.”

Brian peered through the sheer darkness, looking over the dark outlines of the corridor. He grabbed his walkie talkie out of his holster and radioed in. “AJ, I’m here.”

“Okay Bri, to get to the chapel you’re going to walk down the long hallway all the way at the end, once you reach there, radio me back.”

Brian began walking down, keeping straight and not bothering to look around. Once he reached the end, he radioed back. “Okay, at the end.”

“Now, you’re gonna take a right and walk all the way down again. This was the similar route taken to get to the morgue.”

Brian nodded as he turned right and began walking down towards the end. “Alright, since the morgue was to left, I’m assuming the chapel is off down to the right?”

“Your assumption would be correct. Once you go down right to the end, you’ll notice the corridor forms an ‘L’ shape and you can only go right again. As soon as you reach the end and look to your right, you’ll see two glass doors with a sign that says ‘Chapel’ over it.”

Brian did as he was instructed and walked down, reaching the end and turning right again. He found himself standing outside the large glass doors that led into the chapel. Taking a deep breath in, he placed his hand on the handle of the glass door, closed his eyes and finished off the prayer before he entered.

“God indeed is my savior; I am confident and unafraid. My strength and my courage is the Lord, and He has been my savior.”

As soon as he entered, he quickly placed his hand over his nose and mouth, the musty atmosphere was tainted with the bitter aged smell of blood. His eyes began to water slightly as the odorous stench managed to seep through the cracks of fingers and filter right into his nose.

With one hand still clasped over his nose and mouth, he used his other hand to fasten his walkie talkie back into his holster and grab his flashlight, pushing the button and causing a strong beam of light to blast out, illuminating the darkened chapel a bit. He shone it over the room, grimacing at the pews that were covered in dust and webs. Slowly, he started walking further into the chapel, the front alter now taking his attention.

His eyes followed the path of the light as he shone up above and saw a rather large crucifix situated high above the alter. He immediately gasped and started to back away when he noticed that there was a decomposed, mummified corpse that was nailed to the cross.

Brian squeezed his eyes shut as he felt a burning sensation begin to rise up into his throat. He could not believe how this man managed to defile the chapel and make a mockery of Jesus’ crucifixion. As his mixed emotions continued to stir within him, he found himself all of a sudden extremely weak and ill. When he could no longer hold it in, he doubled over and had allowed the hot bile to spew forth and splatter on the floor in front of him.

When he finally heaved everything out, he used the back of his hand to wipe the corners of his mouth, but stopped when he noticed something on the ground. He straightened up a bit when he realized that there was a satanic star painted in crimson red, or what he assumed to be blood. The square cutout lines that encased the star indicated that the ground was probably hallow and led down under the hospital.

When he finally regained his composure, he looked back up at the cross which held the corpse, then back down at the satanic star. His mind suddenly became numb and frozen with fear as he was finally able to connect the pieces together.

“George.”