- Text Size +
“Good morning Backstreet Boys… and welcome to the set of Fear.” one of the MTV producers had introduced.

The five of them had nodded and one by one, shook the producers, the directors and the MTV staff’s hands. As soon as their introduction was over, they gathered back around the producer and waited for him to continue.

“As you may know, Fear is an actual reality show in which we find and observe the most scariest and haunted places on earth, and we send people or contestants, such as yourselves, to observe the unknown activity that takes place. Your fear is being tested, hence the name of the show, and the longer you can withstand your fear, the more money that you bank. Normally, we would hide the stash of money throughout the haunted area so we could send you guys out to find it, but since we’re making a comeback, we decided to give the game a little twist. First off, no one will be voted out nor will they be able to leave the game. In the past, we had people who were voted out for not keeping their end of the bargain, or had decided to leave because they couldn’t handle fear. You five are permanently set to play this game to the end… if one person cannot complete their mission, another will have to take over while another mission is being devised for the one who couldn’t come through to accomplish their objective. There will be times where we will send two or three people out at the same time, have at least two people to stay back and navigate their team members. You five will be assigned different colors to be referred to, for that’s how the computer will judge who is to do what.” the producer explained.

All of a sudden, a mass of MTV staff had approached the boys with gears and had strapped them up, their equipment each having a different color. “Kevin Richardson is blue, Howie Dorough is red, Brian Littrell is white, AJ McLean is yellow, and Nick Carter is green. You guys will be residing in a safe house that we had built over the months and this is where you’ll stay if your not doing a mission or if we decide to call it a night. No one is to leave the safe house at any time unless they have a mission to accomplish. If someone isn’t able to complete the mission, the suggested color cannot leave the safe house to continue the mission until the other person has returned. I have to tell you that your safe house is a long walk from the haunted place you will be investigating, but all that will be explained to you as why it is once you reach the safe house. You will be investigating an area, acres and acres of land, known as Satan’s Playground. The computer in the safe house will explain everything you need to know, from the origin to the stories that had accumulated over the years. Now, without further questioning, please grab each other’s hands and create a chain.”

The five of them had stared at the producer in puzzlement, and had slowly turned to stare at each other, wondering why they had to hold each other’s hands. Just as they slowly and hesitantly grabbed each other’s hands and had created a train, a black blindfold was draped over their eyes and was tied loosely behind the back of they’re heads. They stood in a line, from oldest to youngest, and one of the MTV staff people had grabbed Kevin’s hand and had led him over to a large van. Once they had piled each and every one of them into the van, they drove off to their destination, all the while being blindfolded.

Almost half an hour later, they felt the van come to a slow stop, indicating that they had reached their destination. They were all guided out of the van and was guided over to where they assumed the safe house to be.

“You have walkie talkies to use in order to communicate one another,” the producer had informed them. “you also have handheld camcorders to record anything and everything on your little… expedition. If you have noticed, we have taken away all cell phones, pagers, basically any device that can be used to contact anyone. We also took away any electronic devices you may have packed away in your luggage, for the only equipment you will be needing and using is the ones that was already provided for you. Good luck fellas…”

They heard someone open a door and had felt themselves being led into a room. Once the door had closed and everything was silent, the five of them had removed their blindfolds, looking around their new surrounding. There was five cots lined up against the wall in a row, a small bathroom off to the side, and right across from their cots was a desk and a computer, which had the word “FEAR” as the screensaver. They slowly approached their cots and had noticed that they each had a crucifix that hung above their beds. The quilts that covered the bed was also color coded, Nick having the very first bed, followed by AJ, Brian, Howie, and Kevin had the last bed at the end.

“Damn… I feel like the Spice Girls!” AJ joked as he dropped his duffle bag on top of his yellow quilted bed.

Nick chuckled as he came from behind, placing his things down on his bed beside AJ’s. “No kidding… although no one was appointed pink.”

As soon as they all had settled down and had placed their belongings on their own separate cots, Kevin had walked over to the computer, the other four crowding around him and staring at the computer.

“Hello, and welcome to Fear.” a computerized voice had said. “I would like to start off by saying that there are hidden cameras set up everywhere in this safe house in which it will be recording every bit of action that happens in this house. The rules should’ve been explained to you already, the equipment should’ve been distributed to you all already, and you each should’ve been assigned a different color. That leaves me only to explain the origin and your missions. The area you will be investigating is known as Satan’s Playground. It was a hospital that was constructed in the 1960’s, around the same time the Salem Witch Trials was occurring. This hospital facility contained over a hundred hospital rooms, a small chapel, a morgue, and a rehabilitation room for the psychotic. Upon constructing this hospital, architectures discovered archeological findings of what they believed to be dated all the way back to when Jesus was born. They believe that these acres and acres of land is where Lucifer had befallen when he fell from Heaven. Since that time, man had been created and from there on, buildings and structures were built, over the area where they found the artifacts. It is believed that nothing can be built over the dead, for if it is, the deceased will never be able to live in peace, nor will the people who wander that area. For many years, strange occurrences took place, from missing people to murdered children, all of which could never be explained. Most people want to believe that there was a murder on the loose who always manages to wipe his tracks clean… many believe otherwise. There was a specific case that occurred just 15 years ago… in the year of 1990. Five children were wandering Satan’s Playground one day, playing a simple game of truth and dare. They managed to drag their game onto the grounds of the hospital, waking the dead in the process. Four of the five were mysteriously killed while one of them managed to escape, the survivor being a female. Many restless souls wander these grounds… having that said, do you believe in ghost? It’s up to you to decide… for the only way you can answer the question is if you disturb them. You will hear things, you will see things, you will feel things… my only advice to you is not to scream.”

The five had them had glanced silently at each other, wondering if they should or shouldn’t proceed on with the game. “Assignment number one… this mission will only acquire two colors… lucky color red and white. Red, you will be blindfolded while white navigates you to the building. White, you will be instructed from color yellow how to navigate red to their destination. Once the two of you reach the building, yellow will continue to instruct white on how to enter the hospital and where and when to depart. Once you are inside, white, you will walk red into the hospital room all the way at the end of the corridor. Once you have red inside the room and close the door, it is your job white to walk the lower level of the hospital and inspect the area, see if you can feel, see, or hear any abnormal activity. Meanwhile, red, you will sit in the hospital room in complete isolation. From the time you enter the room and the door is closed, you are allowed to remove your blindfold. You will remain in that room and investigate any activity that occurs in that specific room. You will stay in that room for approximately ten minutes, having no contact with anyone until your ten minutes are up. Yellow will then contact you when your time is up, and white will then get you and you will both make your way back to the safe house. No one may leave the safe house during or after the mission unless instructed otherwise. Let the games begin…”

Both Howie and Brian had walked away from the computer, strapping their equipment back on and bringing the various devices to life. Kevin had rose from his seat and had approached the two, helping them to strap up. Meanwhile, AJ had taken the vacant seat, where Kevin was presumably seated, and Nick had slightly nudged AJ over, sitting on the edge of the chair.

“Well losers… wish us luck!” Brian joked while trying to adjust the weight of the equipment.

Both AJ and Nick flipped them the middle finger, their eyes still glued to the computer.

“Are you sure they wanted AJ to navigate us?” Howie had muttered to Kevin, obviously loud enough for AJ to hear.

“Oh no… we’re gonna die! You know, I could’ve swore that the computer appointed blue to be the navigator… either that or they made a mistake…” Brian had said before AJ could even retaliate.

AJ had turned around, ready to say a comeback, but he refrained from doing so once he saw Brian quickly exit the door, a hesitant Howie following suit.

“Bastard…” AJ had mumbled as he grabbed the head set from off the desk and had placed it on his head. He waited for a couple of seconds and then clicked the button that said “continue” on the computer. “Alright… Brian, can you hear me?” AJ asked while trying to adjust the mouth piece of the walkie talkie headset.

“Loud and clear…” Brian soon replied.

AJ nodded to himself and had waited for a little longer, quickly scanning over the map and the instructions that was displayed on the computer. “Have you place the blindfold on Howie yet?”

There was silence for a while, but then Brian’s voice cackled in. “Yes ma’am…”

AJ could only roll his eyes at Brian’s humorous behavior. “Alright, now here’s what your gonna do…”