- Text Size +
I felt the rain splash up against my pale skin as I ran through the street, dodging cars. It was in the low thirties, and the rain made it even colder, the wind seeping through my heavy NIKE sweatshirt. I shivered, and ran down the sidewalk, slipping down an alley. I threw the hood up, and ran faster, jumping over puddles. The condo rose in the distance, and I ran faster, hopping around the puddles. My feet slipped on the slick pavement, and I groaned, feeling my weight shift forwards. I righted myself, and resumed running over to the condo, slipping on the street. I reached the condo, slipping the key into the lock. The door swung open as I entered, to total darkness. “Annie.” I called, flicking on the light. Annie walked down the stairs, and said, “Ssh, Marshall’s asleep.” I looked up the stairs, and nodded, creeping up the stairs. Marshall was living with us until him and Kim made up. “Aunty.” A little girl’s voice cried, and I looked to my right to see Marshall’s little girl, Hailee, running full speed at me. I dropped to my knees, and enveloped her in a tight hug. “Hailee baby.” I heard a very groggy voice mutter, and then I saw Marshall enter the hall. “Daddy. Aunty is finally home.” Hailee announced, looking up seriously at Marshall. I smiled, and stood up, picking up Hailee as I went. She giggled, and I smiled, and said, “Ah, my little Hailee. What shall I do with you?” She squeaked, and said, “Daddy, help.” Marshall laughed, and grabbed Hailee out of my arms, spinning her around. “My girl.” He stated, kissing the side of her face. I smiled, and got up, hugging Marshall. He smiled, and watched me go into my room before going back into his room with Hailee. I smiled, and flopped onto the bed, closing my eyes. The room was dark, but I didn’t care as I closed my eyes to fall asleep. As I fell asleep, I heard someone sneak into my room. I didn’t even bother to look, because I knew if it were Nick, he’d climb into bed with me. Sure enough, the person climbed into bed with me. “Honey.” Nick whispered, shaking me gently. I groaned, and opened my eyes. “Wha?” I said, rubbing my eyes sleepily. “I’m home.” He whispered, wrapping his arms around me. I nodded, and closed my eyes, welcoming sleep.