- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Yay for finally having time to write an update! I hope you enjoy, please review!
My instincts kicked in just in time though.


As my hand covered Howie’s mouth, he shouted Nick’s name, but thankfully, it sounded smothered and was therefore hardly audible. He shot me a look that could be read as shocked, irritated and puzzled as he grabbed my arm.


Obviously I let go.


“Sorry.” I whispered. “But he might freak out if he hears you yell and fall out of the freaking tree.”


Relief washed over Howie’s face as he realized his mistake and what could’ve happened had I not shut him up.


“What the hell is he doing up there?” Howie said as we both watched our youngest brother.


I wasn’t sure he was even conscious as he sat there on a what appeared to be a big steady branch, one leg at each side, his back leaning on the trunk, his arms by his sides. He was covered in dirt and leaves. Not much blood, as far as I could tell.


“What do we do now?” I asked Mr. Gable who’d walked over next to us.


“I guess one of you has to climb up there.” He shrugged. “I’m not sure if it’s the right thing to do, but if we call him from down here, he might fall off. Though, he might do the same if you tap him on the leg or something. My guess is as good as yours. I’ve never ever seen something like this.”


“This is just great.” I muttered to myself, knowing it’d be me climbing up that tree. I wouldn’t want Mr. Gable to even try. Not only because of his age, but because he was our guide out of there.


Then there was Howie. Well, I don’t know if you’ve ever watched him closely, but he’s really short. He could never make it up into that tree. And don’t forget the fact he’s not much of a sporty kinda guy. I mean, he does exercise to keep himself healthy and makes sure he can keep up with all the dance moves before a tour, but, well.. let’s just say I knew it would be me and Nick up there in that tree.


As quietly as I possibly could, I made my way up, keeping a close eye on Nick, silently praying he was okay and wouldn’t freak out to an extent that we’d both fall. I reached the branch below the one he was on, thinking this was going to have to do. I didn’t want to risk getting closer, not sure if the branch was strong enough to support us both.


“Nick.” I whispered, but got no response whatsoever. I tried again, saying his name just a little bit louder.


This time, it sparked a reaction. He slowly opened his eyes and it looked as if he had trouble seeing for a few seconds.


“Hey Kev.” He softly said after he directed his gaze at me. “Whatcha doing here?”



“I came to get you, little man.” I responded, trying to hide my concern. “I think it’s time for you to come down.”



“Down?” he asked.



“Yeah.”



His response had me worried. It was as if he had no clue as to where he was. I had no idea how to bring it up without maybe scaring the crap out of him.



“Listen, Nick.” I put my hand on his knee. “I need you to stay calm and sit still, okay?”



He looked at me all puzzled, but nodded.



“I’m not sure if you realize this, but..” I stopped, feeling stupid for a second. How could he not know? Maybe he’d just forgotten for a second because of his head injury. That had to be the case.



“Of course you know, but, well, you’re up in this tree and we need to get you down.” I hurried out, tightening my grip on his knee, just in case.



Nick looked at me as if I’d turned green and spoke alien, but then he turned his head to take in the surroundings.



He wasn’t looking too good when I first saw him sitting there, but as the news hit home the blood drained from his face. It looked like he was about to pass out, something I surely didn’t want to see happen.



“Stay with me, kiddo.” I urged, squeezing his knee. “We need to get going, before it gets dark. Do you think you can get down with some help?”



“Gimme a few seconds.” He tried to smile, but I could see right through his façade. Clearly, he was scared.



Slowly but surely, we started to make our way back down. I made sure to stay close to Nick in case he’d slip or lose his balance, but we got down without any further incidents.



As soon as we were both safe, I hugged him close.



“I’m so glad we found you.”



“Me too, Kevin.” Nick hugged me back. “But I still need to breathe.”



I let out a small laugh and let go, giving Howie the opportunity to hug him.



“Don’t you ever do that to us again, man.”



“I’ll try not to.” Nick said in a small voice, suddenly looking tired and weakened. He was swaying on his feet.



Howie and myself both noticed, so I rushed to his side.



Immediately, he looped his arm around my neck and leaned into me. I grabbed his hand and put my other hand on his side, supporting his weight.



Howie put a blanket over his shoulders, trying to make sure it covered most of his back. Nick grabbed hold of it to keep it in place.



“Did you bring some water, Kev?” he asked as he gave me a smile that seemed forced.



I nodded.



Mr. Gable had heard his request and handed him the opened bottle. Nick let go of the blanket and took a few swigs of the liquid, emptying the bottle within seconds.



He gave the plastic bottle to Howie and grabbed the blanket again. I could feel his body shivering and he seemed to lean into me even more.



Howie came to walk beside me, probably knowing full well he couldn’t really help me getting our youngest back to the car. Again, because he’s just so freaking short. I let out a breath and knew my back would be killing me the day after.



“Do you think you can manage getting him to the car?” he softly asked.



“I’ll have to.” I whispered back, slowly putting one feet in front of the other.



Nothing could have prepared any of us for what happened next and I get chills thinking about it again now.