- Text Size +
Seated in the cold wet sand, Stacia did her best to gather the mounds of sand into sleek towers for a gorgeous sandcastle. Baylee was running toward the surf to collect another pale of sand, insisting that it was the best sand to use. She kept a close eye on him, especially with the photographers milling about. Each seemed anxious to catch another photograph of Stacia with Baylee. And many had actually cooed in delight when he flopped in her lap and forced her hands to help him build the center of the castle. After a exhausting night of spilling her darkest secret, she just needed an escape. From everyone.

Holly had tried starting a simple conversation with Stacia, but it ended up dying on her lips as Stacia scooped up Baylee, muttered they were going out and left. It was too hard to look into the older woman's eyes and see the pity. She screened the calls on her cell phone, letting the ones from Holly or AJ go to her voicemail.

What did they expect her to say when they murmured apologies for her nightmare? That it was oaky. She was a fighter. She'd survive. It wasn't that bad. Bullshit. She told herself those things every day and she didn't even believe them. She didn't find it necessary to repeat the nonesense to her friends. She'd rather disappear. Fall into a black hole of nothingness. Where she could be nothing.

"Staci! Got the perfect sand!" Baylee came trotting back with a bucket full of sand.

"Did Mermaids help you scoop it up?" Stacia asked with a small smile, allowing Baylee to flop onto her lap with the bucket in his.

"They wanted to! But I'm a big boy," Baylee replied as he scooped up some of the sand. "I can do it myself."

"I should have known," Stacia mused, overturning the rest of the bucket to create a perfect tower.

"This is the best castle EVER!" Baylee squealed with delight, clapping his sandy hands.

"Yeah, just don't get it in your eyes," Stacia laughed, brushing the grit of sand from his face.

"Otay," Baylee grinned as he began digging a circle around the castle. "Help me build a boat, Staci!"

"A boat? Boats don't go in a castle!"

"No... a BOAT!" Baylee pointed to the ring he was building around the castle.

"A moat," Stacia clarified with a quick nod, leaning forward to help dig away the sands around the castle. Once they had a large moat to protect the castle, she helped him from the ground and handed him the bucket. Adjusting her cherry printed bikini, she laughed soft when he hugged her leg so she carried him down the beach. "Let's go get some water for the moat."

"Got to protect our castle from the bad guys!" Baylee giggled as they reached the water. The waves were gentle for mid-afternoon, hissing softly when it pulled away from the sand.

"Dragons and goblins and--"

"Nick Carter's!"

"Since when was your Uncle Nicky a bad guy?"

"Uncles aren't supposed to date Aunties!"

"Then how do you get cousins?"

"The stork!"

"Baylee--"

"Daddy says Uncle Nicky is a bad guy," Baylee explained, taking the pale to collect the water that rushed in with the waves.

"Daddy says a lot of things," Stacia murmured, leaning down to clean the sand from her hands, listening to the repeated clicks of expensive cameras.

"Daddy tells the truth!" Baylee insisted as he kneeled down and carefully poured the water into the moat.

"You love your Daddy very much."

"He loves me. Mommy doesn't," Baylee said softly, setting the pail down on the sand and turning his attention to cleaning up around the moat.

"He loves you very much," Stacia promised, reaching out to grasp Baylee. Pulling him into her embrace, she tucked her chin over the top of his head. She planted soft kisses to the crown of his beautiful curls, feeling his arms snake around her body. He clung to her. Frightened.

"Why doesn't Mommy love me?" Baylee asked, his bright blue eyes brimming with tears.

"Sweetheart," Stacia cooed softly, gently rubbing his back in a soothing manner. "I love you so much. And your Daddy loves you so much. And your Uncle AJ, Aunt Holly, Uncle Nicky--"

"I know," Baylee stressed, his little hands clutching the strings of her bikini top. "But why don't Mommy love me? Was I bad?"

"You don't have an inch of bad bone in your body, Baylee Thomas," Stacia assured, running her fingers repeatedly through the boy's damp locks. She hated that she needed to have this conversation with Baylee, not even knowing what to say to him. How could she admit to the boy that his mother actually loathed the sight of him? It wasn't fair to the boy. Not when he was so sweet and impressionable.

"Then how come Mommy don't love me?"

"She does..."

"She never says it."

"Some people don't know how to."

"I guess," Baylee sighed, resting his head on Stacia's chest and closing his eyes.

"Baylee, I love you so much," Stacia volunteered after a few moments of stretching silence. Gently she rubbed his back while pressing soft kisses to his brow.

"I love you, too," Baylee replied, relaxing in her arms as he stuck his thumb into his mouth. It was something he did only when he was upset and the cause was usually Leighanne.

"Sweet Pea, I don't want you to be upset..." Stacia cooed sadly. "I'll always be here for you, no matter what. You can call me any time you need me, okay? Because you're so very special to me."

"How come you can't live here? Philly is too far."

"Philly is too far..." Stacia agreed with a nod, tucking a few curls behind his ears.

"Stay in Mal'bu. Please?"

"Are you and I going to move into our own place?"

"Yeah! We could have pizza and ice cream ever night!"

"Then get a tubby together and snuggle in bed!"

"Yeah! And watch movies and eat popcorn and, and, and--"

"I hope I'm invited into these festitives," Brian announced, crossing the long length of boardwalk in a hurry when he spotted Stacia and Baylee. He had also noticed the paparazzi hovering about, so he wanted to reach them quickly. Last night had been tortourous and he felt so foolish for running out on Stacia. When she needed someone to hold her.

"DADDY!" Baylee squealed, looking up to see his father.

"Go get him," Stacia encouraged softly, releasing the boy as he squirmed frantically.

"Daddy! Daddy! Daddy!" Baylee chanted with a round of giggles as he ran towards Brian in the warm sand.

"Scooper! Scooper! Scooper!" Brian chorused, throwing his son into the air before crushing him into a powerful hug. He had felt so terrible about stranding the boy at AJ's house last night, knowing he never should have left in the first place. But he was grateful that Baylee and Stacia had spent the morning together, knowing each would soothe the other's heartache. His son seemed happier than he had in weeks.

"I missed you!" Baylee wrapped his little arms around Brian's neck and gave his cheek a loud, wet kiss. His father always made things better, just like Stacia.

"I missed you too," Brian promised, blowing a loud raspberry to his son's cheek in return.

"How'd you find us?" Baylee questioned, leaning back to let their brilliant blue eyes connect.

"Magic," Brian teased, noticing that Stacia had moved to the ocean waters to wash herself of the sand. The beautifully bright aura that usually hovered over her essence had died completely. There was a stain of darkness circling her now. The beast that had attacked her had stolen the innocence that Brian had cherished so much.

"Y'mean like Harry Potter?" Baylee's eyes went wide with wonder.

"Something like that," Brian agreed, smoothing the wet locks away from his son's eyes. "I just knew that you and Staci would go to the beach. You both love to be here."

"She's good at making castles! Moats, too! Right, Staci?" Baylee called out to Staci, who was still standing by the water.

"I think she can't hear you over the waves," Brian explained when Stacia didn't turn to acknowledge Baylee's question. Setting his son on the large beach blanket, he rummaged in the cooler to produce a box of apple juice and a sandwhich. "How about you eat up and I talk to her?"

"Okay. But careful of the waves! They could sweep you away!" Baylee nodded as he sat down on the beach blanket and took a big bite of his sandwich.

"You don't leave with any strangers," Brian warned, keeping a close eye on his son while he walked toward the water's edge. He hesitated on touching Stacia immediately, not knowing what she would do. He was frightened of her reactions and didn't want to think of the atrocities that had occured in Philidelphia. Holding his breath, he continued to watch Baylee eating and stepped beside Stacia. "Thank you for watching Baylee."

"It was a free date, I had to take it," Stacia answered, tucking her hands against her hips and continuing to stare at the horizon.

"I would have been there this morning, but Mom and Pop thought it would be better if I went home since you were so upset last night--"

"I love spending time with Baylee. You don't need to thank me."

"But--"

"I love him."

"I know you do. I just don't want you to feel obliged--"

"Never with Baylee. He needs the love like I do and we have fun together."

"Stacia..."

"Seems like fate is always working against us, doesn't it?" Stacia continued, refusing to turn her gaze to the older man.

"What?" Brian mumbled in surprise, arching his light blonde brows with question. The statement was so simplistic, yet the meaning behind it weighed heavily on his heart. He had never been the one to tempt fate. Nor God. Yet, here he was, having to face what he feared most.

"Fate..." Stacia repeated, tucking her arms over her chest. "Last night... We could have done something so sinful... So delicious... Yet, Leighanne calls... It's just perfect."

"Staci--"

"We have to accept it, Brian. Friendship is the only thing we can have and the sooner we realize it... the less painful it will be."

"But I just wanted--"

"You can't have me and Leighanne."

"Sta--"

"I will always be your friend. I don't think I could ever stop our friendship. But you can't play with my heart anymore... it's too much to take."

"Stacia, I have never played with your heart," Brian immediately disagreed with hurt, reaching to take her into his arms. He held her at an arm's length, refusing to chance the tense situation by hugging her. But he wanted to look into her eyes. For her to know the truth about what they had created. "I have made sure to take care of your heart from the very beginning. I love you so much. I can't imagine not having you in my life. But don't you dare say that I hurt you. I'm not that bastard--"

"Please don't," Stacia interupted quickly.

"Stacia, you and Baylee are my life! I just want you to see that I haven't--"

"How can you say you haven't hurt me? Everytime you hold me, or kiss me, or... you stop. And go home to Leighanne. What do you expect me to feel?"

"I would hope that you'd understand--"

"Understand what, Brian? I've waited and I've waited. I can't do it anymore. I can't hold onto something that is never going to happen. You are never going to leave her and I'm refuse to be 'that woman' people talk about at parties. If you're just going to string me along like this... then I just want the friendship."

"Staci, I thought that--"

"I'm not a whore."

"I know you're not! God, I would NEVER--"

"You almost made me one last night."

"Last night... how does that make you a whore? A whore sleeps around with multiple men! That's not you."

"A whore is a woman who takes what doesn't belong to her. You don't belong to me. I refuse to damage my soul over you anymore. I can't take it. I hurt too much," Stacia explained, tugging hard on her damp locks. "Do you have any idea how much I hate myself right now?"

"Damnit, Stacia--"

"For once... can you just please accept my wishes and allows us to be just friends?"

"But I--"

Brian wanted to object to her final decision. To tell her that she was wrong about them. There was no possible way for them to maintain a friendship without longing to persue each other for an intimate encounter. He was furious that she could even suggest that friendship be the only thing they could have. Especially after a night kindled with such passion. If the night had gone smoothly, they would have awoken in one another's arms, bare bodies entwined with the sweet scent of sex lingering about them. He wanted to grab her and throw her into the hot, gritty sand. To breathe such a fire into her body through wild lovemaking that the cold waves lapping upon their glistening bodies would create steam. Yet, there he stood, silent.

No words could project from his mouth. He couldn't find the strength to take that first step, knowing what it would mean for their lives. And, now, a dark cloud lingered over her. The menancing shadow of a spineless man who forcefully took Stacia's innocence without a second thought about the devastation it would cause. She was tainted and it pained him. It felt as if he had been the one assaulted when he looked into the depth of her murky emerald eyes. He wanted to tell her it would be okay. That he would love her reguardless of the bastard's attack--

"Stacia!"

"Just in time..." Stacia murmured with the utmost relief, turning from the surf to see Nick jogging down the length of beach. He stopped momentarily to sweep his fingers through Baylee's damp locks, but hurried to embrace her.

"Hey, Sweetie! I heard that you two would be down here," Nick smiled, kissing her cheek.

"Bay and I decided that today was going to be a Beach Bum Day."

"If I had the chance, every day would be filled with bumming on the beach," Nick agreed with a grin, looping his arm about her thin, bare waist to tug her close. She fit perfectly against his side and he could barely hide the pride that surfaced when her arm slid to rest along the small of his back as well. Giving her shoulder a squeeze, he looked to Baylee and then Brian. "Hell, our date is supposed to be today. That's why I hurried down. So, since Brian is here... Guess we can pass over the kid and have more time alone?"

"Sounds great to me," Stacia confirmed, pressing a gentle hand to the center of his chest and refusing to give Brian a second glance.

"You don't mind, right, B?" Nick questioned, raising his light blonde brows in question toward his friend. He seemed hesitant at first, not wanting another fist to connect with his face, but having Stacia at his side gave him confidence.

"No. Not at all. You two... have fun," Brian forced the words over his numb lips, bending down to bring Baylee into his arms. "C'mon, Scooper, it's time to go home. I'll make some lunch and we'll watch cartoons."

"Daddy... I already ate," Baylee murmured in confusion, grasping at his father's neck when he was jostled quite roughly. Peering over Brian's shoulder, Baylee tilted his head in wonder at the way Nick leaned to murmur softly within Stacia's ear. She actually blushed and started to push him away, but Nick was quick to pull her back. Without hesitation, lips were pushed upon hers, coaxing her into a sweet surrender. "Daddy! What is Nicky doing?!"

Brian sighed heavily as he trodded through the heavy sand. He refused to look back at the new couple. "They're going on their date--"

"No! Daddy, look!"

"Scooper, it's not polite to stare--"

"Him's licking her! Like you licked her!"

"Baylee Thomas--"

"Daddy! Make him stop! You s'posed to love Staci! Not Nicky!"

"I can't make him stop," Brian grunted with irritation, abruptly placing his child upon the ground. Reaching for one of Baylee's hands, he hurried the pace of his stride till Baylee had to jog to catch up. He didn't want the child to observe what was occuring on the beach, especially as the paparazzi rushed past.

"Why not?!"

"Because I can't. Staci and Nicky are grown-up. They can do whatever they want..."

Yanking his hand from his father's particularly strong grasp, Baylee drew his body into a stance of pure fury. Clenching his fists in annoyance, he stopped a sandled foot against the boardwalk. "I want Staci!"

"You can't have Staci right now," Brian held back a groan as he looked down at his son. "We're going home."

"No!" Baylee disagreed sharply. "She at home! I hate her!"

"She's your mother! Don't ever say you hate her!" Brian almost snapped, finally picking Baylee up once again and heading towards his SUV.

"She hate me an' I hate her!"

"Baylee, you're working yourself on getting sent to your room for the rest of the night when we get home," Brian gritted, wincing when a furious string of kicks came from his son's legs, directly connecting with his chest. It had been years since his heart surgery, but the area was still tender. More so now considering the way Stacia had just ripped his heart out.

"Good!" Baylee growled.

"Fod God sakes, Baylee, give me a break! I'm doing the best I can for you!" Brian bit hard on his bottom lip when Baylee's knee slammed into his scar. "BAYLEE THOMAS WYLEE LITTRELL! That is ENOUGH!"

The sudden raising of his voice sounded like a gunshot to the preschooler and silence quickly consumed him. Plopped down none too gently into his carseat, Baylee simply froze within his father's hands, allowing himself to be fastened snuggly. Tears slipped from his large crystal eyes, but he pressed his lips together before burying his face within his hands. Never had Brian lost control with him before.

"Damnit..." Brian whispered, closing his eyes for a moment. He had always vowed he wouldn't raise his voice like that to Baylee. It killed him to see his son so upset because of something he said. "Baylee... son, I'm sorry. Daddy didn't mean to yell."

"I want to go home," Baylee sniffled, refusing to meet his father's gaze. Instead, he focused on the stretch of beach, just able to make out Stacia frolicking in the waves. Trembling, Baylee fought another sharp sob, causing a painful hiccup to lurch within him.

"Baylee, c'mon, look at me," Brian pleaded, reaching out to cup the toddler's chin.

"No."

"I'm sorry. Staci hurt my feelings and I shouldn't have taken it out on you."

"Go away."

"Baylee--"

"Not talk to you."

"I'm your Daddy--"

"You hurt'd Staci first!" Baylee suddenly accused, throwing a hateful finger into his father's face. His crystal eyes glistened with hate as tears clung to his reddened face.

"How did I--"

"You stay with her and make Staci watch!"

"Baylee!"

"I'm glad she hurt'd you!"


"I am not having this conversation with a four year old," Brian relented, reaching to secure his son into the booster seat. Though Baylee attempted to throw his feet toward Brian's hands, he managed to pull away unscathed, slamming the car door before hurrying to the driver's side. Sliding inside, he could hear the soft sniffles reverberating from his son, which only made him clench the steering wheel tighter. How could Baylee have possibly known? Much less understood? It was absurd to have his child talking about such twisted romantic triangles.

"I hate you, Daddy," Baylee reminded him from the backseat when the car was revved.

"Don't worry, I hate myself too, Scooper."

~*~*~*~*~*~

"Y'know... if God wanted to strike me down now... I would welcome it," Brian mumbled to himself as he plopped down onto the couch and placed a hand over his face. Baylee had stormed up to his room once Brian unbuckled him from the car and slammed the door with all his little might. The entire ride home had been filled with a hateful silence that echoed in his heart.

"I hate you!" Baylee reminded quite harshly before throwing a parade of toys down the stairway. Each bounced and buckled beneath the weight of the toss, some breaking apart and continuing to roll. Yet Brian just settled on the couch, hating that he hadn't taken the opportunity that had been presented. Why couldn't he have just taken Stacia into his arms at the beach? Told Nick to fuck off? Why?

"I don't deserve to be happy... Maybe that's why I..." Brian trailed off, sighing heavily as Baylee continued his banter and throwing more toys down the stairs.

Reaching for one of the frilly pillows that Leighanne insisted would have to decorate their uncomfortable couch, Brian pushed it onto his face in hopes that he might smother. But all he could do was drown the screams of his son from upstairs. He hadn't the strength to settle the tantrum. He had never seen Baylee so furious. Except for perhaps the time that Leighanne had mentioned Stacia to one of her friends, giving the woman a nasty slur of a name. Baylee had actually broken his favorite toy upon his mother's knee. That spanking had been brutal--

"What the fuck is going on here?!" A demanding voice screeched as the front door slammed open. High heels click-clacked over the expensive marble tile in the foyer; a noise that always brought chills down Brian's spine.

"My son is throwing a tantrum, Leighanne," Brian announced dryly, not even bothering to sit up to greet her. It had been far too long since he had actually made the effort to greet her. Mostly because the woman was a ghost within the house. She would breeze in and hurry out just the same. The only remenance of her presence the stale scent of expensive perfume. And those were the good days.

"No wonder he's such a brat -- you let him do whatever he wants," Leighanne ripped the pillow off Brian's face, her lips curled into a sneer that he even saw while she was asleep in bed.

"What do you want, Leighanne?" Brian questioned sourly, folding his hands over his face to avoid the blaze of her glare. Having seen the way that Nick had intimately scooped Stacia in his arms was enough pain for the day, especially knowing what had happened just weeks previous. She wasn't ready to be manhandled. She didn't need some monster prowling beneath her clothes in search of the easiest access to her soul. She needed... Him...

"I wanted some damn quiet time in my house, but that little shitheaded clone of yours is throwing all those toys I wasted my money on--"

"Your money? You must mean my money, because you only buy for yourself."

"When I married you, Brian, your money became my money," Leighanne reminded quite haughtily, glaring down at a toy that skidded over her expensive leather heel. The dark streak that marred the perfect shoe caused a furious scowl to form upon her neatly painted face. Bending down, she scooped the toy from the floor and growled. Without even consulting Brian, she started up the staircase. "Baylee Thomas Wylee! You better hope to God that I run off my energy coming up these steps otherwise you won't be walking for a week!"

"Wait a fucking minute!" Brian got up and hurried after her. He would not allow Leighanne to hurt his son just because he was upset with him. He grabbed onto her arm. "You're not going to touch him!"

"Let go of my arm, Brian," Leighanne commanded with a sharp bark, yanking her arm away from the man's grasp. It caused both to stumble on the stairs, but she hollered for her son just the same. The noise had stopped within Baylee's room and the silence was deafening.

"Baylee, lock your door!" Brian commanded, putting his arm across to grasp the banister so she couldn't continue up the stairs. "He's four years old, Leighanne. You rough handle him like he's your size and I will not allow it anymore."

"He's my son and I'll punish him as I see fit--"

"No he is not. You only see him as a son when you feel like beating the shit out of him! I'm the one who loves and takes care of him," Brian growled, hearing Baylee close the door and the lock click. "You're not going to touch him."

"I gave birth to that little bastard--"

"That's all you ever did. He is not a bastard. He's my son, so stay the fuck away from him, you bitch--"

Releasing his anger against Leighanne had felt like a fond liberation, but he was robbed of his passion to escape the nightmare when Leighanne retaliated physicially. The plastic toy she had been clutching in her hand was thrown toward Brian, connecting sharply with his cheek. It felt as if bone had given way when he tumbled down the stairs. He could taste the blood pooling in his mouth when he hit the threshold of the stairs with a hard groan. But the sharp tap of heels behind him had warned him to react. He attempted to stumble away, but she descended upon him like a dark cloud. Manicured nails became talons. Expensive leather heels became sharp cleavers. Fists became mallets.

"Don't you ever fucking talk to me like that again, you spineless asshole! I run this house! I have no problem teaching you and Baylee a lesson when it comes to following my rules!" Leighanne screamed, hitting whatever tender flesh she could reach.

Tucking his arms over his head, he made sure to draw himself into a tight ball. Squeezing his eyes shut, he tried to force his mind away from the pain. Drawing Stacia's perfect image into her mind, he tried to pretend it didn't hurt. That the pain didn't wash over him in wild torrents. The burning of his flesh actually felt as if it would sear the bone. But she would stop. Eventually.

~*~*~*~*~*~

Pressing his ear to the door, Baylee strained to hear any more noises errupting from his parents fight. He had listened when Brian instructed him to lock the door, knowing that his mother would be after him with any object in reach. Her whippings had become far more brutal since the last time she had visisted. But when the slam of the front door echoed throughout the house, Baylee worked to ease his door open and cautiously peered out. There was no sight of the horrifying woman that haunted his nightmares, but he was still careful. Creeping down the steps, his crystal blue eyes widened in horror to see Brian crumpled at the bottom of the steps. "Daddy!"

Not getting a response scared Baylee, thinking that his mother might have killed his father and he would end up living with her in an endless nightmare. He ran down the stairs as fast as his small legs allowed. "Daddy!"

Brian held his breath when Baylee's hands landed upon his spine, sending a dark flare of pain shooting through his body. Twisting away from the touch, he was aware of the throb against the side of his face. She had come with a vengence and left just the same. He was broken and she just didn't care. All he could taste was metal and he knew that it was blood. But, before he could react, Baylee had collapsed into his father's arms and sobbed openly. The boy fumbled to apologize, but Brian gently patted his back. "I'm okay, Scooper."

"I don't hate you, Daddy! I sorry I was so bad!" Baylee repeated over and over, his tears streaking Brian's blood-spotted shirt.

"Scooper, it's okay. Daddy's okay. I know you didn't mean it."

"Mommy hurt you 'cause of me!"

"It is not your fault. Mommy hurts me because... she likes to. It's not because of you and I do not want to hear you say that ever again. Do you hear me?"

"Mommy was mad at me--"

"Listen to me," Brian pulled Baylee away for a moment, running a shaking hand through the child's curls. "This was not your fault. It has never been your fault."

"I threw my toys," Baylee objected with a hard sniffle. He had learned quickly not to tempt his mother's temper. She always had a way of winding a palm back across his cheek without any explanation. But the way she treated his father... Baylee had been accustomed to seeing his father hurt. Wriggling, he hurried to the bathroom to gather the first aide kit.

"You're not the first kid to have a tantrum, son. It doesn't mean mommies or daddies should hurt them that she does to you," Brian diagreed as he carefully made himself sit up.

"You got bad owies, Daddy," Baylee commented softly.

"I know... they'l fade, Scoop. I promise," Brian opened up the kit and pulled out some gauze, tape and peroxide.

"I can call 9-1-1--"

"I'll be fine. I don't need an ambulance."

"But Daddy--"

"If one of the owies is really bad, we'll go to the doctor. Okay? I don't want anyone to know what Mommy did."

"I can call Staci--"

"Staci's out with Uncle Nick. I don't want them to know, either."

"What about Uncle J and Auntie Holly?"

"This is our secret, Scooper."

"Why?"

"Because... because it will cause more problems for us."

"But Daddy--"

"Scooper, please."

"But Staci fixes boo-boo's--"

"These are boo-boo's Staci can't know about."

"Daddy!"

"Promise me, Scooper. You don't tell Staci about the boo-boo's. She can't know," Brian instructed, holding his breath when he wiped hydrogen peroxide over his wounds.

"But--"

"Promise me."

"Otay... I promise."

"Good," Brian breathed with relief, leaning forward to press a small kiss to his son's brow. He couldn't stand the thought of Stacia knowing. Especially now. "Now, c'mon, let's get Daddy cleaned up."