- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Here's the second chapter. It's taking me a while to write due to college, but the semester it's finally nearing its end. Please review! Thanks!

 

1574: A Timeless Summer

Chapter 2

© 2007 Nina

 

Nick took a left turn into White Oak Drive, seeing the hotel right on his left. At first glance, the hotel did not look like one. If it hadn't been for the sign and its name in huge letters, Nick would have guessed it was an apartment complex, which he didn't mind one bit. Glamour was the last thing he was looking for.

 

The hotel complex consisted of three not very large buildings. On the left side, there was a three-story building, which Nick guessed held the hotel's suites. Next to it, there was a smaller, one-story building, called the Gatehouse. In between the first building and the smaller one, there was a basketball court that doubled as a volleyball court, and right behind it was the pool. To the right of the Gatehouse, there was the third building, which was a mirror of the first one. In between the Gatehouse and this last building, there was an open area with freshly-cut grass and well-tended bushes, and a pathway to walk through.

 

He parked the rented SUV in one of the available parking spots right in front the basketball court. Deciding to leave his suitcases in the car for now, he grabbed his carry-on bag and got out of the car. Walking into the Gatehouse, he found himself in the lobby of the hotel. It was small, but then again, it was a small hotel. Just before the receptionist's counter, to his right, he could see a small market that offered various snacks, drinks, frozen foods, and other travel-size necessities, such as toothbrushes, razors, and over-the-counter medicines, to name a few. To the left, there were two big doors that led to the hotel's conference room. Next to the conference room, he could see a hallway, which led to the restrooms and the gym room, and straight in front of the Gatehouse's entrance was the hotel's dining room. He could spot some comfy lounge chairs placed in front of a large plasma TV.

 

Looks nice for a small place, he thought as he approached the receptionist's desk to check in.

 

"Good afternoon, how may I help you?" the receptionist asked Nick when he approached her. He read her tag name, Gloria. She was a Hispanic woman, in her thirties, with a Spanish accent when she spoke. Her wavy dark hair barely reached her shoulders and she had a friendly face.

 

"Yes, hi. I have a reservation, I'm checking in," Nick replied.

 

"Your last name, please?"

 

"Carter," Nick replied, now debating whether or not it had been a good idea to use his real last name. But then again, if the press or fans were looking for him, they'd probably be trying their luck at fancy hotels in the city, not a small one in the middle of Waukegan.

 

"Nick?" Gloria asked, to verify, as she looked up from the computer. Seeing him nod, she turned her attention back to the computer. "There's a $50 deposit, it can be cash or credit card."

 

"Cash," Nick replied, taking out his wallet. He handed her two twenties and a ten dollar bill.

 

A few moments later, she handed him the room key, "Here you go Mr. Carter. Your room is 302. If you go through the dining room, it's the building on your left. If there's anything you need, just let us know."

 

***

 

 

Nick opened the door to his suite. He had opted for the one-bedroom suite and he was surprised. As he stepped inside, to his right was a fully-equipped kitchenette, complete with a full size refrigerator, a counter-top two-range stove, sink, dishwasher and a microwave. Directly in front of the door there was a large desk. In front of the kitchenette, there was a small dining table with two chairs and in the living room area was a large L-shaped couch, and a TV in top of a dresser.

 

Bringing his suitcases inside, he shut the door behind him and brought them over to the room. The room had a Queen-sized bed; in front of it was another dresser with a TV on top of it as well. There were two night tables at either side of the bed, with lamps and an alarm clock. Next was the closet with two sliding mirror doors, and across from it, was a large counter space with the bathroom's sink. The bathroom door was in between the closet and the sink.

 

"Not bad," Nick said after examining the hotel room. He wasn't sure what he had been expecting, but was content with what he found. He looked down at his suitcases, as if contemplating what to do with them.

 

I think I'm gonna find a place to eat first and unpack later, he thought as he felt his stomach grumble in protest to the lack of food.

 

As he grabbed the room key, he heard the familiar tune of his cell phone. Looking at the screen, he saw his brother's name flashing across it, and unconsciously sighed.

 

"Hello?" he said as he took the call.

 

"Hey, bro! What's up?" Aaron's voice was heard through the phone.

 

"No much," was Nick's reply, but before he could say anything more, Aaron spoke again.

 

"Why'd you do it?"

 

"Why did I do what?" Nick asked in return.

 

"Don't play dumb Nick. You know what I'm talking about. Why did you back out?"

 

Nick knew exactly what his younger brother was referring to, and his hand went to the back of his neck, unconsciously rubbing it. It was a habit of his, something he often did, unconsciously, whenever he was worried, nervous, or in a situation he disliked or was uncomfortable in.

 

"Aaron, this is not the best way or the time to discuss this."

 

"Bullshit Nick!" Aaron exclaimed, "We had all talked about it, all ready to drop everything for three months and do this, and all of the sudden you just back out? You owe everybody, including me, an explanation!"

 

The younger man had a point, Nick realized. He did, at least, owe them an explanation. It had been, after all, his own idea. And it did seem like a good idea after all. Getting all five Carter siblings to live under one roof for the summer, surrounded by cameras for the world to witness. It had been so long since BJ, Leslie, Angel, Aaron, and him had been together, that he completely forgot what an explosive combination they could be. At least until that dinner together. It was then than Nick came to the realization that they couldn't do this. That he couldn't go through with it. They were as dysfunctional as they could be, and there was no way he was showcasing it to the world.

 

"Look Aaron, I just can't do this right now. Can't you respect that? I know you all deserve an explanation and in time you will get one, I promise."

 

"No, Nick. Not in time, we need to know, 'cause it's just not fa-"

 

But the younger man was interrupted, "But nothing Aaron, I can't give it to you now because there are a lot of things I need to figure out for myself. I'll talk to you later."

 

And without giving his brother a chance to say good bye, or rather to protest, Nick hit the End button in his cell phone, ending the call. There were a lot of things he needed to think about, there were a lot of things he needed to figure out, those were part of the reason why he decided to take off without telling anyone.

 

But I have the whole summer for that, he thought, for now all I need to figure out is where to get some dinner. And, placing his cell phone in his pocket, and with his car keys and room key in his hand, he left the room.