- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Hey guys! Thanks for reading, and, with this chapter, the ball gets rolling on this story! I hope you enjoy, and let me know what you think!
Nick was nervous. No, nervous was not the word to describe how he felt, he decided as he paced his bedroom. He was freaking out, the furthest thing from calm and collected. He’d never been this nervous before in his life, not even before the very first concert he’d ever performed at in the very beginning of his career. What he felt now made the anxieties from his younger years seem like a walk in the park.

He was a week away from his wedding.

It wasn’t that he didn’t want to get married because, after all, proposing to Cara had been his idea. What had him shaking in his shoes was the idea of marriage. He’d been okay about it from the start, but, as the big day crept ever so closer, he was getting more and more worried and nervous.

What if he made a bad husband? What if finally moving in together totally changed the dynamic in his relationship with Cara? What if he screwed everything up, and she hated him?

What if, what if, what if! Nick nearly kicked the side of his dresser in frustration. He knew what he was doing. He was overanalyzing the whole thing to pieces. What he really needed to do was call Cara up and have her calm him down. Something about her voice always made him feel better.

When he walked down the stairs, he found Sydney by the door, digging through her purse and muttering to herself. “Hey, kid. What’s up?”

She barely glanced up. “I can’t find my keys! I need to get to the airport because the flight lands in twenty minutes, but I can’t remember where I left my keys.” She rummaged some more before she tossed her purse aside and hurried into the kitchen. “You haven’t seen them, have you?” she called from the kitchen.

Nick shook his head as he picked up the set of keys from the table by the front door. His daughter was as good as he was at keeping track of keys. Which wasn’t that great at all. “Sydney! Found them!” When she ran back in, he waved them. “They were right here, on the table. Funny how they turn up in the weirdest places, huh?”

“Ha ha, Dad. Anyway, thanks for finding them. I gotta go!”

He suppressed the smile that tickled his lips at her last words. She was such a Backstreet baby. “So, am I ever going to find out who your guest is?”

“Dad, I really don’t have time for this.” Sydney grabbed her purse and opened the front door. “You’ll see soon enough.”

“I guess I will, seeing how I’m letting your guest stay in our house for the next week.” He wrinkled his nose. “It’s not some random guy, is it? Is it your boyfriend?”

She rolled her eyes. “Dad! I told you I didn’t have a boyfriend. All I can say is, it’s my best friend in the whole world.” She slipped out the door. “See you later!”

When the door shut behind Sydney, Nick shrugged and turned to find his phone to call Cara. He didn’t care who it was that Sydney had invited. After all, his daughter had pretty good taste in people, and he knew she wouldn’t pick anyone that he’d have to worry over.

It probably wasn’t a boy, he decided before he called Cara.

***

Skimming her eyes over the awaiting cars, Spencer spotted the flashy convertible that Nick had bought Sydney as a graduation present. Gripping her suitcase in one hand, she took a deep breath and started out of the terminal. When Sydney spotted her, she waved a hand, and Spencer waved back with a smile. No matter what happened, she reminded herself for the billionth time, she was thankful that she would get to spend much-needed quality time with her daughter. That was what she would focus on.

“I’m so glad you came, Mom!” Sydney hugged Spencer before picking up her suitcase and stowing it in her trunk. “Think the DA’s office will survive with you gone for a week?”

Spencer settled into the car and tipped her sunglasses onto her nose. “Very funny. I think they’ll hobble along. Besides, it’s not like I run the show. It might be my office, but it’s definitely Donna’s domain,” she added, referring to her stalwart and commanding secretary.

“Too true. So, how was the flight?” Sydney steered her tiny car onto the highway before letting it rip.

Spencer decided to bite her tongue to keep from yelling out for her daughter to slow down. “Uh, it was fine. I think you might actually be driving as fast as the plane was flying.”

Sydney shot her a grin then began to babble away about something or other, and Spencer just listened to how happy her daughter sounded. It appeared as though Tampa had done good things for Sydney. Her internship, the beautiful weather, the beach, and her father—Sydney’s favorite things, Spencer thought. Though it was slightly disappointing that her child had never taken to Nashville as well as Spencer had hoped she would, she was still glad that Sydney was happy—no matter where, or with who, she was happy.

Letting the sun warm her face, Spencer zoned out for a little while. She simply did not want to think of the eventual meeting she would have with Nick. Of course, they probably wouldn’t see each other until his wedding, but the eventuality was nerve-wracking. She hadn’t seen the man in three years, and she’d nearly convinced herself she was over him. And it was about time, too. She was a grown woman, she was about to see forty-seven in four months, and she couldn’t stay hung up on one man her entire life.

So, she decided, when she did meet Nick, she would be absolutely civil. Even if he said something to rile her up, which he so often did, she would just be the bigger person and not strike back.

Yup, that was exactly what she was going to do. Good thing she had nearly a week to practice on doing it.

***

“Mom.” Sydney nudged Spencer’s arm as she made the turn into Nick’s neighborhood. Spencer had dozed off fifteen minutes earlier, but it was time for her to wake up. “Mom, we’re almost home. Wake up.”

Spencer’s eyelids fluttered then opened. A bit groggily, she looked out the window. They were in a neighborhood, which was certainly nowhere near the hotel she’d imagined. “Honey, where are we-” And then it hit her. Her heart bounded into her throat, and she sat up. “Sydney, please tell me we’re not going where I think we are going.”

“Mom, why are you freaking out?” Sydney frowned, playing her rehearsed part.

“Freaking out? I am not freaking out. Your father will freak out way worse than I am right now.” Spencer’s hands clenched together in her lap. “There is no hotel room, is there?”

Sydney hesitated then shook her head. She’d never heard her mother sound so scared. “No. Dad said my guest had to stay at his place because it was just going to be the two of us all next week. I thought it would be okay.” Which was a lie, but she wasn’t above a little white lie to get her way.

“Oh, Sydney.” Spencer rubbed her hands over her face wearily.

“Don’t worry, Mom. It’ll be fine. I told you, you probably won’t see Dad that much anyway.” Sydney smiled encouragingly as she turned onto Nick’s driveway. “You’ve got nothing to worry about.”

Yeah, right. Spencer knew that if that were true, pigs would be flying by now. She and Nick were like oil and water—they didn’t mix well. “Nick doesn’t know, does he?” When Sydney said nothing but simply turned the car off, Spencer tried not to scream. “Honey, you don’t know what you’ve done, do you?”

Sydney shrugged. “Look, Mom. I wanted you here so I could see you. You and Dad have had over twenty years to deal with whatever it is you’re always so mad at each other about. I think both of you can be adult enough to behave. If you can’t, then we’ll find you a hotel in the city.” She gave Spencer a small smile. “I just thought it’d be nice. I’m sorry if you’re upset.”

Spencer sighed. “It’s okay. I guess we’ll just have to see how your father reacts to this.”

By the time she’d pushed herself out of the car and followed Sydney up the front steps to the door, Spencer was a wreck. Nick was going to be furious.

“Mom, stop worrying.” Sydney slid her arm around her mother’s shoulders. “Everything will be fine. You’ll see.”

Spencer just nodded and took a deep breath as Sydney pushed open the door. When she stepped into Nick’s house for the first time in nearly twenty years, she had to smile. So much of it was still the same. The same painting still hung on the wall across from the front door. The same credenza was pushed against the side wall. From where she stood, she could see that the parlor rug was the same, even though the sofas and tables were different. She’d bought that rug for him, she remembered. It was nice to know he’d kept something of hers.

“Sydney, is that you?” Nick’s voice carried out from the kitchen.

Sydney grabbed Spencer’s hand and pulled her down the hall. “Yeah, it’s me.”

“Well, come on back. I managed not to burn lunch today, and it might be edible.” Nick arranged the paninis he’d cooked on a plate. He could hear footsteps coming down the hallway as he turned to rummage in the fridge for something to drink. “I made your favorite kind of sandwich. What do you want to…”

His voice trailed off as he shut the refrigerator door and saw Sydney standing by the island in the center of the kitchen. Next to her was the one person he’d never expected to see.

“Spencer.”

Her head inclined ever so slightly. “Hello, Nick.”

***

February 2007
Nashville, Tennessee


Nick fiddled with his cell phone as he sat in the plush comfort of the law firm of Lassiter, Tidwell, and Hildebrand. It was fifteen minutes past the appointment time, and he frowned. It was rare for Jordan Keller to be late. “Do you think he forgot about us?”

Brian glanced over from where he was flipping aimlessly through a magazine. “This is Jordan, remember? He’d have to be dealing with an emergency before he was late for anything. He probably got held up on something.”

“So, what? We just sit here and twiddle our thumbs? Maybe I’ve got better things to do.” Nick snapped his phone shut and slid it into his pocket. “Maybe I want to go explore the city.”

Brian shrugged. “We’ve both got better things we’d rather be doing. I wanted to stop by the studio and see how AJ and Howie did today.”

Nick leaned forward, resting his elbows on his knees. “Keller better hurry up.” Brian didn’t respond, but Nick knew he was thinking the same thing. His foot was tapping impatiently, something Brian did without thinking whenever he was in a hurry.

At the clicking of heels on the marble tiles, both men glanced up. A young woman in a tidy green suit stepped into the waiting area and offered them an apologetic smile. “Mr. Littrell, Mr. Carter. Mr. Keller sent me to tell you he’s very sorry, but he’s dealing with a sticky situation with another client at the moment. He asked that you wait a half hour, tops. In the meantime, can I get you anything? Coffee, juice?”

Her voice had the distinct sound of Nashville layering over the warmth in it, and Nick couldn’t help but let his eyes drift over her. He nearly drooled over her legs before he mentally slapped himself. Since when had he lusted after women like this one? Since never, he decided. There wasn’t anything wrong with trying a new flavor, was there?

Brian shook his head. “No, but thanks for letting us know about Jordan, Ms…”

“Wilde,” she answered with a smile. “Spencer Wilde. It’s not a problem. It’s my job.” Spencer turned to Nick, her gray eyes twinkling with humor. She knew exactly what he was thinking. “Can I get you anything?”

Nick shrugged, shifting his eyes away from her. He shouldn’t be ogling women in business suits anyway, especially when they were sharp enough to know what was on his mind. What was wrong with him? “Coffee sounds good.”

“Great. I’ll be right back then.”

But, even as she turned to go, Nick sprang up and followed her. “I’ll come with you. I’m tired of sitting here and waiting. Walking would be nice.”

Spencer was clearly not fooled as she merely arched an eyebrow before shrugging. “Of course.”

As he followed her out, Nick glanced over his shoulder at Brian. Brian rolled his eyes and sighed. Nick had a one-track mind, but at least he was consistent. No matter how frustrating that was at times.

Nick matched his steps to Spencer’s as they walked down the hallway. On either side of the hall there were offices from which the sounds of voices, the tapping of computer keys, and the ringing of telephones could be heard.

“Busy place,” he commented.

Spencer nodded. “It’s a prestigious law firm. We handle all sorts of clients here.”

“You a lawyer?”

They reached the elevator, and she pressed the down button before looking up at him. “Almost. I graduate from law school in May, but, in the meantime, I’m an intern here.”

“Cool. So…” He cast his mind around to come up with something to talk about. He couldn’t believe he was actually tongue-tied at this point. This never happened to him. Then again, he never hit on women during business hours either. “What do you do as an intern?”

The elevator doors opened, and they both stepped on. “Lots of things. I help out with paperwork for different cases, do filing, photocopying, and so on.”

“Sounds like a secretary.”

“No, more like an assistant.” Her voice had chilled several degrees. Obviously, he’d hit on a sore point for her.

Nick scrambled to find something to make the conversation a little better. “Uh, so you live in Nashville?”

“Born and raised. Have you been here often?” The elevator doors opened on the first floor, and Spencer steered them towards the coffee shop in the lobby.

“Not really. We recorded a song or two here a couple years ago, but, this time, we’re really focusing on doing most of it here.” He stood next to her in the short line at the counter. “It’s a nice city.”

Spencer smiled a little, and Nick sighed, slightly relieved. They were back on stable ground. “It’s a pretty great city. Of course, it’s no Los Angeles.”

“Eh. LA’s overrated. Besides, I live in Tampa. That’s my real home.”

“Really? And here I thought all celebrities lived in New York or LA,” she commented, the humor in her eyes giving away the fact that she was joking.

Without thinking, he reached out and tugged playfully on her dark red curls. “Well, you’ve got a real narrow mind about celebrities. Guess I’ll have to change your mind.”

“Oh, really?” Spencer moved his hand away from her hair. “Try me.”

Before he could respond, it was their turn at the register. When Spencer opened her mouth to speak, Nick cut her off and talked to the clerk directly. “I’ll just have a regular coffee, black. And, I’m paying since I’m here,” he told Spencer.

She looked like she wanted to say something but thought better of it and just shrugged. “Have it your way.”

“McDonald’s.” Nick grinned.

Spencer rolled her eyes. “Sure. Whatever you want.”

When he’d paid for his coffee, they headed back to wait for the elevator. “So,” he began, “I haven’t really spent much time in Nashville, and I was thinking about exploring the city tonight. I mean, the guys and me, we’re going to be here for the next few weeks, so I might as well get to know the place, right?”

“I guess.” Her foot tapped impatiently, obviously in a hurry now.

“Right.” Nick ran a hand over his hair, trying to find the right way to do what he was trying to do. “So, you grew up here, and that would mean you probably know all the good places to go, right?”

Now, she turned those big gray eyes on him, and he could see the wariness on her face. “Yes, so?”

“So, I was thinking, if you weren’t busy tonight or even tomorrow night, maybe you could show me around, since you know Nashville better than I do?”

She blinked. “Why, Nick Carter, it sounds like you’re hitting on me.”

He cracked a smile. “Maybe I am. What are you going to do about it?”

They stepped on the elevator, and Spencer didn’t say anything as other people piled into the elevator with them. However, by the time the elevator moved between the fourth floor and towards the fifth where they were going, there was no one else on board.

“So, Spencer Wilde, go out with me tonight?” Nick tried again.

She was quiet for a moment before she turned to pin him with one long stare. Finally, she shrugged. “Well, it’s not what I usually do, but okay. Sure. It couldn’t be too bad, could it?” But she smiled as she said it, and Nick’s insides did a happy dance. Finally, this trip was starting to look more interesting.