- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Hey, I'm so happy to see some of y'all digging this fic. I hope y'all enjoy this chapter, your reviews totally helped me get it out faster. Lemme know what you think as always :). Enjoy!
“Rehab”

Chapter Two: Reunion

I'm tired of being what you want me to be
- “Numb” by Linkin Park

“Fucking hell you stupid bitch!”

“Oh I’m the bitch? Dammit Carter I wouldn’t have laid your ass out on the floor if you weren’t such an asshole. Oh my bad, that comes naturally. Well you could at least pretend to be human for once.”

“Around you? No human could fucking survive your toxic.”

“Don’t make me knock your ass out.”

“I’d like to see you try.”

“Would you now, fucking bring it.”

“So is that why you came here, to try and beat my ass again cause you didn’t get enough last time?!”

I stared at the bitch, thinking she needs to get the fuck out. I’m sick and tired of her. Sick and damn tired of all that shit that came with her. Anyone who says I’m fucking complicated, has never met Kayden. The bitch is beyond high maintenance. I ain’t lying. It’s hard to believe I was once so damn close to her. But I ain’t blind, she was fucking pregnant as all hell.

“No it’s so you know that in the next two months I’m having your kid ya moron.”

“And how do I know it’s mine? You fucking-”

Her fist slammed into my stomach and immediately my hands flew to it as I gasped for air. Fucking hell! My gut throbbed, and I kept struggling for air thanks to the violent psycho. Once I got it back I had to hold back my instinct to fucking shove the bitch out the door. She’s pregnant, I ain’t that bad. Not that she’d think that.

“Oh fucking go to hell! She’s yours Nickolas Gene Carter, you know I was with no one but you at the time. You know my ass wouldn’t be here right now if it didn’t have to be!”

Fact is, I’m surprised she’s here at all. My kid or not. “Well fucking hell I might need a damn DNA test with as much as you slept around, I can’t take your damn word for it.” Then my mind realized the words she screamed at me just now. “It’s a girl?”

Rubbing her round stomach, she leaned against my doorframe. Damn. The shit’s taking a toll on her. Good after trying to beat my ass, she deserves that. “Yeah, it’s a girl. Look, you can be part of her life or not. My ass is here to tell you that you’re gonna be a father, whether you like it or not. I know responsibility is such a bitch for ya, and lord knows you ain’t gonna step up and be a man, but I’m here telling you anyway.” She handed me a paper, on it was a phone number. I raise a brow at her. That slut always throws me through a loop I tell ya.

“My cell, on the slim chance in a pig flying, frozen, and devil polka dancing hell you decide to actually step up. I’m staying in town till the baby’s born cause the doctors ain’t liking me traveling around.”

And again I saw Kayden turn around, and slam a door in my face after giving me fucking hell. Deja-fucking-vu much? I rub my head, like I needed this on top of a damn hangover.

I met her when I was nine years old, when I decided I wanted to be famous. We became friends since then people hated me and girls weren’t wanting me. No one was. But it was aight cause I wanted to be famous. Both were huge ass mistakes. I’m great at mistakes. Didn’t you know? And now here I am, about to start promoting a new album “Unbreakable” and then I find out she’s pregnant. With what fucking may be my child. Fucking mistakes, I’m great at them.

Some things never change.

*************

A little more than five months ago, had Kayden standing in front of his door. Slimmer, a bit nervous, yet not angry. She should be angry. She was hurt, upset, at all that had come to pass only less than two months before. How someone could change so much and her not realize it… Had she been so blind because of history?

Maybe she was wrong. She hoped so, she had just gotten the news, felt queasy as it was. She didn’t need Nick turning into what he had become again. She hadn’t spoke with him since the morning after. The morning after the night that had caused this to happen. It felt open, unresolved, and it just rubbed salt into the wound that hadn’t even tried to heal yet.

She knocked.

And there he was, opening the door, with some new brunette on his arm. She actually recognized her. Ignoring the wave of fury building, she tried to be the calm mature twenty-five year old woman she was now. Though her mind was screaming to say fuck it and sock em both. Kayden never did have the smoothest temper control.

“What do you want Kay.”

So cold. So detached. Seemed like the Nick she knew really was gone. She did know enough just by his attitude, and so she avoided his eyes, not wanting him to see her thoughts nor wanting to see his. Once they did have that kind of connection. Once.

“Nick…I’m pregnant. With your kid.”

“In-fucking-possible.”

“You think I’d lie about this shit Carter?!” She spat out, wishing nothing more than to be done with this already. It was only right to tell him though.

“I had a vasectomy. Can‘t be my kid, try one of your other fuckers, I know it‘s a long list so get started.” He replied with just a smirk. At that she snapped. Simple as that. For the first time outside of childhood, she threw a punch at him, enraged at the cockiness and insults.

That was an old lie his lawyer had always advised him to use if a one night stand ever got pregnant. His words had been “I wouldn’t be a coward”, and always said he’d never use it. Using it now was low. The punch landed him dead on his nose, blood spurting and the brunette shrieking as she ran to get ice. He held his nose and his eyes blazed. Finally Nick regained composure after shock at what she just did.

“What the fuck are you doing?!”

“Use that shit on me will ya?”

“You’re fucking obsessed and psychotic Kayden. You’re dirt to me if fucking that! Take your fucking whore self, and that imaginary baby of yours and get the FUCK off my property before I get the cops to haul your ass off to jail myself!”

“I’m the fucking whore?! Look who’s talking! The king of STD-Ville!”

“Well you screwed me didn’t you? So there ya go!”

“What the hell happened to you Nick?”

“I was never whatever it was you thought I was. Fuck I’m sick of damn trying to be that shit too. It’s been too many fucking years. Your pathetic self isn’t worth all that false bullshit! I ain‘t doing it anymore for some cling-on slut!”

“Screw you Carter!” She turned, slamming the door so hard that items around it fell and break. Kayden wiped her eyes despite the lack of tears. Only anger now. She’d never let herself speak to that poor excuse of a man again.

“Only a damn miracle will make me try that shit again.” She had muttered…


Many would call the birth of a child a miracle.

I walk to the car, wishing that thoughts like that would just go away. I feel like an outsider when those memories come up in my head. It’s weird. And now isn’t the time for this shit anyway. At least he knows I ain’t lying about actually being pregnant this time. Not that he could really deny it. I let out a sigh of annoyance and get in my car. Speeding off away from the popstar’s estate, the car takes on more speed as the surroundings flash by my windows again. Music plays through the speakers, and I can almost feel myself starting to cool down.

But like I said, almost only counts in horseshoes.

***********

I watched that bug of hers drive off from my damn window, waiting to see if she tried to run over my mailbox again. She did last time. But fuck she also had this massive ass truck then. Back then, before all this shit had started, her superiority shit had just been confidence in herself. Now she’s like some experiment gone horribly damn wrong. I get my hair out of my face and head to the phone as I hear it ring. I knew who it was.

Lisette. I’ve been dating her…damn since late April/early May. Heh, I ain’t one for dates. I’m lucky I know my own damn birthday. She’s been here to watch all this shit go down. I’m amazed she didn’t tell my ass see ya long ago.

I met her when she was doing a recording session in a local studio, we were coming in for the next record, without Kevin obviously. And there she was, fine as hell, letting it out and getting into the music. She’s not a Christina Aguilera vocal wise, but she ain’t as bad as Britney Spears either. I asked her number, and it all came from there.

I picked up the phone, listening to her excited chatter. I ain’t telling her what just went down. I can’t say shit till I know what the fuck is going on, and what I’m gonna do myself.

I should just say fuck her. She could be lying. I know it. But if she’s not. Should I fucking be a man, or let her take care it all herself. Ain’t like she don’t got the money. Kayden does have a thing on ESPN paying her well. Not like me but few are. I need some sort of shit to say about it all before I tell her.

Right now? I don’t have one damn fucking clue.

***********

Sometimes, I feel I've got to run away…I've got to get away, From the pain

Eh, not a fan of that particular Pussycat Dolls song. I am so not in the mood for some love lost song type shit anyway. Especially when you hear a lot of that shit most of your life cause you knew a boyband personally. Yeah, no. I push the button to change the song on my ipod, which was of course hooked into the stereo system of the car. Hey I ain’t some rockstar, but I do make myself decent cash with my career. Girl’s gotta have her car.

California love…California...knows how to party. California...knows how to party, In the citaaay of L.A. In the citaaay of good ol' Watts, In the citaaay, the city of Compton…We keep it rockin

I’m such a California girl at heart now. This music is much better, give me hip hop, recent or old school. I’m good. Besides, 2pac is like a legend anymore. I can’t believe I gave the asshole my cell number. Not that I think he’ll use it. But that’s not exactly the point. Kevin would be proud. I ain’t sure where I’m staying for now. I wasn’t lying about staying in Florida. doctors hated me coming out here anyway. Then I had to give word I wouldn’t do anymore major traveling. Meh, but fuck, Kevin was right. Don’t tell him I said that, but he was. I had to at least tell the asshole a second time.

I make my way into Tampa city, recognizing old sights. I could stay at a hotel, but I wasn’t exactly up for the idea. There were a couple people I could try. AJ (yes McLean) had a house out here but I’d rather burn in hell than ask him. He’s never liked me. I’ve never liked him. Fucking dude needs an identity, and lay off me. We could never get along, and we tried if only cause Kevin made us try. Never worked, and even Kevin gave up. There’s Howie, he does still live out here. A little further albeit, in Orlando. He and I have always been cool, not like me and Kev, or yeah anyways. But more casual friends, but he’s the sweet kind of guy who’d help out. I’m going to the wedding between him and Leigh. I’m in shock I can actually like a Leigh. Since ya know, Leighanne’s an uber-bitch who hated me (and asshole) from day one.

But I don’t want to ask him and impose. Ain’t right, he’s got his own life going on. He doesn’t need some huge pregnant lady pissed off at the fucker who caused it who happens to be like a brother to him living with him while he plans his wedding. Yeah, fucking complicated.

I do have another friend, one who I’ve known since my very beginning days in college. She studied teaching while I majored in broadcast journalism. We’ve always kept in touch, and at one point she was actually a fan of the Backstreet Boys. Which struck me funny until she realized who I’d known for so long. What she doesn’t know is the shit of the past year. I kept that from almost everyone. But she’s doing well, teaching children with special needs, doing some good in the world. She’s always been a good friend. I know Melissa, Melz wouldn’t judge.

I picked up my phone.