- Text Size +
3 Years Later

Brian's View

I leaned back on the picnic table, staring up at the tree above me. The green leaves rustled from the summer breeze. As the leaves fluttered, sun light sparkled through. I breathed in deeply, closing my eyes, smiling.

Peace. That’s what I felt. That’s what I smiled about. There was peace in my life.

I lowered my head and opened my eyes. I looked at the playground in front of me. Kids ran around screaming and playing. The squeaks of the swings echoed through the air. Parents sat off to the side, reading books or talking to one another. A few active parents joined their children in the festivities. Others were trying desperately to gather their kids up to go home and were only greeted by cries or cold shoulders.

I scanned the scene before me, looking for the signature glint of blonde hair I knew so well. I spotted her then. She was wearing a baby blue babydoll dress with flip flops. Her hair glistened in the sun as she moved, stray strands falling into her face. Her smile was large and genuine. Her smile meant happiness. Her smile meant peace.

She bent down and picked up a bundle from the baby swings. The little boy in her arms clung to her. She held him lovingly, rubbing his back. Her lips moved as if she were telling him what they were going to do next. Her smile never left her lips.

She moved away from the swings, carefully dodging running children. When she reached the grass, she bent down and put the little boy on the ground. He looked around inquisitively as she pulled down his shirt over his chubby belly, and readjusted his baseball cap. She grabbed his little hand and began walking towards me. The little boy wobbled a little but he was doing well. He had improved so much.

The little boy couldn’t keep his attention on any one thing for long. He looked around, staring at things with a look of wonder. He stopped and bent down, attempting to pull a clump of grass out. The woman laughed, bending down and grabbing the grass from his grasp. She pulled him along and he reluctantly hobbled forward.

She looked up at me then and smiled, putting hair behind her ear. She then glanced back down at the little boy, bending down. She said something to him and then pointed in my direction. I leaned forward on my knees, waving at him as he looked over at me. His four toothed mouth smiled at me.

I heard the woman say, “Go to daddy.”

She let go of his hand and let him come to me. He tried running, his hands slightly in the air. I couldn’t help but grin and laugh as he clumsily came toward me. I stood up, opening my arms for him. When he got close enough, I scooped him up, holding him above my head. He giggled wildly. I brought him down and held him to my side, “Hello there mister.”

I kissed his cheek but he seemed to have lost interest in me. He pointed up above him to the leaves in the tree, leaning back extensively. I grabbed a hold of him tighter.

The woman came up and kissed me on the lips, then turned her attention to her nearly 1 and half year old child. She pulled his shirt down again over his belly. She laughed, “I think we need to get him a bigger shirt.”

I smiled at her, “Nah, he’s just trying to catch the ladies attention you know.”

“Oh yeah?”

I nodded, “Oh yeah, I taught him everything he knows.”

She laughed, rolling her eyes, “That explains a lot.”

I set the boy down on the blanket. He immediately crawled toward his toys and began playing with them. The woman had sat down on the bench and I took a seat next to her.

“You know what?”

“What?”

I leaned back on the picnic table and motioned out towards the park, “I own this park.”

“Is that so?” she laughed.

“Yep.”

“The trees and everything?”

“Yep, every last strand of grass.”

“Fascinating,” she said, trying to sound serious.

“Definitely,” I said, smiling at her. “Oh, and you see that fountain over there?”

She looked to where I was pointing and nodded, “What about it?”

“Totally made in my honor.”

“That’s incredible!” she exclaimed.

“You’re telling me!”

“And the pond?”

“All mine.”

“Seriously?” she asked, raising her eyebrows. I looked at her, grinning. I then said, “No.”

“What?”

“I’m kidding.”

“Liar.”

“Nope, I am. I don’t own this park, sadly to say.”

“Not even the fountain and pond?”

I shook my head, “Closet I got is a handmade pool.”

She laughed, leaning in to kiss me, “I’d take the handmade pool any day.”

“I’d take you any day love,” I said, winking at her. She looked down at the little boy and chuckled. I looked to where she was looking and began laughing too.

“I think we wore Christian out,” she said. Christian was lying on his stomach, splayed out. He still gripped a chewing toy in his hand, but his eyes were closed and he was breathing steadily.

“And this one?” I asked, resting my hand on her round growing belly. She put her hand over mine and looked at me smiling, “Not yet.”

I grabbed her hand and squeezed. We stared at each other for a few moments, and then I said, “Thank you.”

“For what?” she asked.

“Everything,” I replied softly. She squeezed my hand and leaned in for another kiss. I met her half way, touching her lips softly. I slightly pulled back, our lips still nearly touching, “Tell me you love me.”

I could feel her lips turn into a smile, “I love you, Brian.”

I grinned, “Damn straight.”

She giggled and I planted another quick kiss on her. Though I would have left it at the ‘damn straight’, I couldn’t help myself, “I love you too, Angela. Always have, always will.”

She looked at me with so much love her in eyes. She reached her free hand over to my knee and rubbed it gently.

“I know.”

She scooted closer to me, linking her hand with mine. She rested her head on my shoulder. I turned my head to kiss the top of her head, and then leaned my head on hers. I closed my eyes and breathed in.

This is what I had been longing for. This was my happiness. This was our dream.

This was our peace.

Brian and Angela, Angela and Brian. Two people that made it through the darkness. Two people forever madly and hopelessly in love.