- Text Size +


Five Years Earlier

Angela's View

“Hey Melissa, ever heard of modesty?” I laughed, watching her scale the table, immediately shaking her ass around. I looked to my right and Ben sat back laughing. “She knows nothing of that word Angela.”

“It’s a pity really,” I yelled over the music.

“Why’s that?” he yelled back. His eyes were still transfixed on Melissa.

“She’s giving away the whole farm. She’s barely leaving anything to the imagination. Where’s the fun in that?”

He laughed, “There’s still a lot fun. Believe me.”

I rolled my eyes, and took a sip of my drink. It’s been like this since college. The three of us, Melissa, Ben, and I, would go out clubbing or to the bars on the weekend. Melissa would get tipsy and immediately start dancing all over the place. Ben and I were more reserved. We enjoyed the more quiet life, but Melissa would never choose that route. She was a wild child, but that’s why we loved her. She kept our lives interesting. She would get hit on constantly, and lord knows how many men she’s left with over the years, but she never saw much wrong with that sort of lifestyle.

Ben, our beloved gay man, has been in a committed relationship since junior year of college. Four years is a long time to be with someone, especially when you’re a homosexual male. Their love is inspiring though, and the trust that they have for one another is unbelievable. I envy them.

As for me, I’m a 25 year old single woman, living in Buffalo, New York. My life surrounds work and my friends. My past relationships have been sub par to say the least. I’m picky, I’m reserved, and I’m cautious. I don’t like pain or heartache so I always try my best to stray far from anything that could bring me to such feelings. But when I do love, I love hard. When someone can break through my barriers, the love and loyalty I have for that person is immeasurable. To say the least, I don’t let many people in.

Ben coughed at me, motioning his eyes to the right, letting me know that someone was behind me. I mouthed ‘What?’ to him, and he just smiled. I felt a tap on my shoulder, and I reluctantly turned towards the man.

I generally got hit on at least once a night when we’d go bar hopping, so it was nothing new. The last time I actually accepted an invitation from anyone was, well, I can’t even remember how long it’s been. I normally didn’t even give them a chance to state their case.

His smile astounded me. It was genuine and warm. It was something I wasn’t expecting.

“Hi,” he greeted, holding out his hand. Taken aback from him and his charming good looks, I put my hand in his. “I’m Brian.”

His smile was infectious, and I couldn’t help smiling a little bit back. I didn’t say anything, and he tilted his head, the smile never wavering, “And you are?”

“Oh,” I said a bit startled. “Sorry, Angela.”

“What?” he asked, leaning in a bit. God, this damn music was so loud.

I raised my voice, “Angela. My name is Angela.”

He leaned back and let go of my hand, “It’s nice to meet you Angela.”

His eyes were a piercing blue, his face strong yet soft, his sandy blonde hair a few inches long, a few stray pieces of hair fell over his forehead. The man was gorgeous, but his face let off nothing of an ego.

“Kind of loud in here isn’t it?”

I nodded, “A bit yeah.”

“You know, I own this night club,” he said, motioning around the place.

There it was. The ego that was hiding just reared its ugly head.

“Wow, that’s…that’s great,” I replied.

“Yeah, I’ll say. I make thousands of dollars a night, I own a Ferrari, a house in Malibu.” He leaned back on the bar, “I live the good life.”

I had to hold back the throw up that so wanted to escape.

“Really?” I replied, trying to seem a bit interested.

He looked at me, and smiled, “No.”

I looked at him confused, and his grin only became bigger. “I’m kidding.”

“Kidding?”

He gently laughed, “I don’t own this nightclub, I don’t own a house in Malibu.”

“And the Ferrari?” I asked.

“More like Jeep Cherokee.”

I smiled lightly at that.

“You know, the look on your face was pretty priceless.”

“How so?”

“You looked like you were about to hurl all over me.”

“I was actually,” I laughed. He laughed with me, “I guess it’s good to know you aren’t into men like that.”

“And I’m assuming you’re not one of them?”

“Nope, I can gladly say that I’m not.”

“And you see nothing wrong with the first few words to me being a lie? What trust could come from that?”

He shrugged, “I figured I could win you over with my charm and wittiness. Plus, I figured it would be a good ice breaker.”

I didn’t know how to reply, and I think he sensed that. He immediately asked, “May I buy you a drink?”

I picked up the cocktail that I had in front of me and gently lifted it. He glanced at it and nodded, “I’ll take that as a no then.”

He couldn’t be real. A man this gorgeous just couldn’t have good intentions. He was here for a booty call, he had to be. I wasn’t going to give in to it, though I secretly wanted to.

“Then how about a bit of conversation?”

I was taken aback from his question. No man has ever asked to actually talk. Most men, once rejected from the drink buying, walk away in search of their next victim.

“Excuse me?”

He was unfazed, “Conversation. You see, it’s what two people do to get to know one another.”

“I know what it is,” I said, shaking my head. I kind of came off as hostile, and I could see by the look on his face that he sensed it. I quickly said, “Sorry.”

He immediately responded, “No, no need to be. I think you’re getting me all wrong. I’m not here to, you know, hook up. You see, I was just standing over there with my friends,” he motioned across the room, where two guys were sitting at a table with a couple of beers, “When I saw you across the room.”

I raised my eyebrow at him skeptically.

“I’m not a creep, I’m far from it, and honestly, I normally don’t do this. I’m shy.”

“You, shy? You hardly seem the type.”

He smiled that gorgeous smile that had started to make my heart flutter, “Believe it or not. I don’t normally go to bars or clubs. I’m more of a rent movies, sit at home, and eat popcorn kind of guy.”

“Uh huh.”

“You don’t believe me,” he smirked. I shook my head, taking a sip of my drink.

“Well, Angela, I don’t know how to convince you otherwise.”

He saw that I wasn’t going to respond to this, so he started up again. He once again motioned toward the two guys at the table, clearing his throat, “My buddy AJ over there is getting married in a few days. It’s not much of a bachelor party, but his fiancée would kill him if anything other than this was orchestrated. We figured it would just be cool to go out and talk with the guys, ya know, before he’s forever doomed to bondage.”

“Then what are you doing over here talking to me? You should be over there with your friends.”

“Well, you see, it wasn’t my plan to. I just happened to see you over here and you just so happened to catch my eye. I figured a woman this striking had to be worth talking to. It’s not everyday this sort of thing happens to me you know.”

“Oh yeah?” I asked, looking him straight into his blue eyes. You could get lost in those eyes.

His voice became more gentle, “Yeah.” He paused a second, and then continued, still soft, “So what do you say? We could go sit down if you want. Or maybe go for some coffee? I’m up for pretty much anything.”

He looked at me hopeful. His voice was deep yet gentle, and absolutely genuine.

I opened my mouth to answer, but he immediately continued, “Except bungee jumping.”

“Wait, what?” I laughed.

“I’m afraid of heights.”

I couldn’t help but smile, “So am I.”

“See, look at that, we already have something in common. I’d say that’s a sign to accept my offer if I do say so myself.”

I wanted so much to accept it, but I couldn’t. I wasn’t in the right place in my life to do so.

I sighed, “Brian, right?”

He nodded.

“I’d love to Brian, but I can’t.”

His disappointment appeared, “Is it cause of hawk guy right there?”

I was puzzled at his statement, and looked to where he motioned. Ben was sipping out of his straw, staring at the both of us intently. I quickly turned back to Brian and replied, “No, not at all. He’s… with someone else. I just, I have to work really early tomorrow, so I have to get going soon.”

He nodded, clearly seeing through my lie, “Maybe some other time.”

I gave him a small smile, nodding once.

He gently touched my arm, “Have a goodnight Angela.” With that, he turned and walked away towards his friends. They greeted him with a hearty clap on the back, clearly seeing that he was rejected. I immediately felt my arm being slapped.

“Ow! What was that for?” I exclaimed, turning to Ben. He looked angry and exasperated, “What were you thinking?”

“What?”

“Don’t ‘What’ me! That man… that man…” he was motioning towards where Brian had turned and left. “That man was gorgeous.”

“I know.”

“And nice! When do those two come together?” He folded his hands together and then quickly unlinked them, “Never! Why didn’t you go talk with him?”

“I didn’t want to,” I replied. He was definitely making me feel guilty for my decision. He rolled his eyes, “Fuck Angie, you’re going to end up old and frigid.”

I smacked him and laughed, “Shut up, and I will not.”

“Yeah, right. I’m angry as hell with you right now. I feel the urge to almost run over and tell him that you’ve reconsidered myself.”

I glared at him, and he once again rolled his eyes, “Come on, lets gather Mel and head home.”

The Next Day

“Hello lovelies,” Melissa greeted, dropping down into the empty chair at the table.

“You’re late… again,” Ben said. Melissa stopped what she was doing and looked at him, “I’m a busy woman.”

Ben laughed, “Busy my ass. What time did you get up this morning?”

Melissa didn’t respond, but only glanced at me. I shrugged, raising my eyebrows, as if waiting for her to answer. She rolled her eyes, “Shut up Ben.”

“Seriously, what time?”

“9, so sue me,” she said, grabbing Ben’s orange juice and drinking from it.

“6 here, what about you Angie?” he turned to me. I finished chewing the bacon that was in my mouth and then said, “Same.”

Ben looked over at Melissa, “So what was his name?”

“Does it matter? Not like I’ll see the man again.”

He shrugged, “Just wondering.”

“George or something,” she said, grabbing a piece of toast and tearing off a piece.

“How do you do it?” I asked, swallowing a big gulp of orange juice.

“Easy.”

“Easy? I hardly call that easy. I can see maybe one every once and awhile, but don’t you want to form some sort of emotional connection with someone? Fall in love maybe?”

She looked at me dumbfounded, “Talk about a hypocrite Angela.”

“What?”

“So says the woman that won’t even give a guy a chance.”

I glanced over at Ben, and he was nodding lightly.

“Hey, it’s better than sleeping with a different guy every night,” I said defensively.

“At least I’m getting something out of it.”

Ben laughed, “So true man. When was the last time you had sex A?”

I rolled my eyes, “What does it matter? I’m happy.”

Melissa stared, “Are you?”

“Of course,” I said, feeling uneasy under both of their hard stares. Ben coughed and began eating again, relieving some of the pressure off of my shoulders. Melissa wouldn’t let it go though, “I’m just saying, you talk of love and marriage and having children, but yet you won’t put yourself out there to even get close to those things. I don’t understand it.”

“I want those things, but I don’t have time in my life right now.”

“There’s always time for it Angela. It’s your life. You live it once and if you fuck it up, you don’t get a second chance. You’re not getting any younger.”

The waitress came by, and I leaned back to allow her to fill my water glass. Melissa continued, “What are you so afraid of?”

“I’m not afraid of anything.”

She sighed, “That’s it. If you don’t get a date by next weekend, you owe me a hundred bucks.”

Both Ben and I laughed, “I don’t think so.”

“No, seriously, I’m not kidding. Either get a date, or owe me a hundred bucks.”

Ben spoke up, “I don’t think she really wants to be forced to date someone. It’ll happen when it’ll happen.”

“Ugh, fine, forget the money. But seriously A, give the next guy you meet a chance.”

“Should have given bubble butt a chance,” Ben said under his breath. I kicked him under the table, “Shut up Ben.”

“Bubble butt?” Mel asked.

“The guy at the club last night,” Ben explained. Mel nodded, “I remember seeing him. Why bubble butt?”

Ben shrugged, “He had a nice ass. Round and bubble like.”

All of us laughed then, and we continued on with our late breakfast.