- Text Size +


Present Day

Melissa’s View

I walked into the kitchen and sat on a stool, exasperated. Ben looked at me sadly, “No luck then?”

“No. She talked a bit though.”

He looked down at the boxes of Chinese food that were ready to be eaten out of and began closing them one by one.

“That’s an improvement.”

I started helping him, “I think she’s starting to come around. Slowly but surely. Maybe tomorrow, or the next day, I think she’ll get out of bed.”

Ben started putting the food in the refrigerator, “Shouldn’t we tell Brian?”

I shook my head, “No, it would just make things worse.”

“But how? Honestly, how? They need to talk things out anyway.”

“Yeah, but talk in this sort of state? She can barely function. Having a serious talk about anything right now wouldn’t help her.”

“I guess you’re right,” he sighed, rubbing his face in frustration.

Just then, the doorbell rang. Ben quickly stared at me, “Who is it?”

“How should I know? I don’t live here.”

I walked out of the kitchen and to the entry way, where I saw the door handle begin to turn, and the sound of keys on the other side.

“Shit,” I said under my breath. I quickly grabbed the door and swung it open. Brian stood before me, a look of surprise on his face.

“Mel, hi,” he said.

“What are you doing here Brian?”

“Can’t a man come into his own home?” he asked, grabbing his keys out of the lock.

“Angela isn’t here,” I said, trying to block him from entering the house. Ben stood in the entrance of the hallway that led to the kitchen, staring dumbfounded. This wasn’t good.

“Then she won’t mind me waiting,” he claimed. “Why won’t you let me in?”

I reluctantly moved out of the way, “Why don’t you come back another time? Angie won’t be home for a little while yet.”

He didn’t say anything to that, but only entered the house, looking around silently.

“Brian-“I began, but he interrupted. “Why are you two always here?”

I looked to Ben, who looked mortified.

“What do you mean?” I asked, trying my best to act as if I didn’t know what he were talking about.

“You’re always here. Whenever I call, either one of you answer. Why? You never visited this much before. And if Angela isn’t here, then why are you?”

I was dumbstruck. What was I supposed to say to that? He couldn’t see Angela yet, not now. She wouldn’t want it. She’d murder me and Ben.

“Just house sitting you know. We’re keeping her company with everything’s that’s happened. She needs someone right now.”

“She needs me,” he barked. I flinched at the sudden harshness in his voice. He softened then, and then repeated, “She needs me.” He paused and then said, “I need her.”

I nearly whispered, “You can’t be here Brian.”

“And why not?” he asked, turning to look at me, sadness etched all over his face.

“She doesn’t want you here,” Ben finally chimed in. Though that was a blatant lie, besides Ben and I, and Angela herself, no one would know the wiser. Brian didn’t turn to look at him. He only looked at the ground. He finally nodded once. His voice cracked when he began to speak, “Could you just tell her that I love her?”

He looked into my eyes then, “Can you do that for me Melissa?”

I nodded, not really knowing what to say to him. He began to walk towards the door.

“Also,” he began but then stopped. He sighed, “Just… I love her.”

With that, he left.