- Text Size +
Nicole's View

"I'll get it!" I yelled to Maddy who was in her bedroom. I set my book to the side and got up, rushing over to the door. I opened the door and was greeted by a teary eyed Brian.

"Brian, wow, what are you doing here?" I asked. My smile wiped off my face as I saw his lip trembling, his eyes red. My eyes furrowed, "What's wrong?"

He didn't answer, he just stepped forward and wrapped his arms around me. I was taken aback but quickly wrapped my arms around him, pulling him close. He was sobbing into my shoulder.

"Shhhh," I soothed, rubbing his back. He was trembling.

"Brian, calm down," I said softly. "Lets get you inside."

He nodded and pulled away from our embrace, wiping his eyes. He moved past me as I closed the door.

"I'm sorry," he said sitting down on the couch. "I didn't know who else to talk to. Nick and AJ were with me but they weren't helping me much, they told me to go home and get some rest. I look like an idiot."

I frowned looking at him on the couch. He was upset and I hated it.

I walked over and sat down next to him, grabbing his hand, "What happened?"

"We were at the mall, Nick, AJ, and I," he began. "We went to the jewelers, just to look around, and Leigh was there."

He frowned, his eyes filling with fresh tears. I wrapped my arm around him and pulled him close. He put his head on my shoulder and started up again, "We got in a fight in front of everybody. She told me...she told me things that I didn't even know I said."

I didn't say anything, I just rested my head on his, listening.

"The look on her face...it was unbearable to look at her. She was hysterical Nicole. I never thought I could make someone that upset," he said quietly.

"What'd she tell you?" I asked.

"That I didn't love her," he stated. "She said I told her I didn't love her."

My mouth dropped open and my heart skipped a beat. What he said couldn't possibly be true, he did love her.

"That can't be true," I said puzzled. He quickly said, "I know, I don't remember saying anything like that, but it's possible that I did tell her that. I don't remember what I did tell her."

His head raised from my shoulder and he wiped the new tears glistening on his cheeks.

"Do you believe her?" I asked slowly.

He frowned and stared down at the floor, thinking about what I had just asked him. Then he slowly nodded his head, "Yeah."

"Why?" I asked.

Still staring at the floor like he was thinking deeply he said, "Because I really don't love her."

"You can't possibly mean that," I shook my head.

He slowly looked up at me and said, "I do though. After the whole mall scene, I got to thinking, especially on the way over here. I remember telling her so many times that I did love her, but then I got to thinking if I really meant it. I didn't. I really didn't mean it. I thought I did, I thought I loved her, but I was only infatuated."

I shook my head unbelievingly. No, he doesn't know what he's saying. He does love her, he's just not thinking clearly. He doesn't understand, he couldn't understand what I knew. I knew he loved her. I knew it for a fact.

"You don't understand," he said looking at me as I shook my head. I stared at him a little shocked.

"I wouldn't?"

"No," he shook his head firmly. I frowned, is that what it felt like to him whenever I told him he wouldn't understand?

Madeline's View

I stared from the dark hallway at the two on the couch, watching as they talked.

"Why?" Nicole asked. She was frowning an awful lot. It wasn't normal.

Brian didn't say anything. He stared at Nicole with his red eyes, and then looked away. God Nicole, don't you SEE it?

She stared at him concerned, reaching for his hand. She took it and squeezed it affectionately.

"What is it?" she asked. She really doesn't see it. She doesn't sense it, but how is that possible? She should sense it, she has to!

Brian shook his head looking at her hurtfully, "Never mind."

"He thought you knew..." I whispered to myself. "He thought you could figure it out. You should have Nicole, you should have. You have a gift people like Brian don't have. Why can't you see what he's feeling? What he's feeling toward you?"

"Brian, I need to tell you something," Nicole said quietly. Brian stared at her and waited for her to go on.

"Please don't get upset okay? I know this isn't a good time to tell you but I need to tell you some time," she sighed, shifting in her seat uncomfortably. Oh God Nicole, what's happening to you?

"What is it?" he asked. She frowned and said softly, "Maddy and I have to leave Monday."

Brian stared at her as if he didn't fully understand, "Where are you going? On vacation?"

She shook her head and looked over at him, "No, not vacation. We're going back home."

"Oh," he said. Nicole could see that he didn't fully understand what she was saying.

"Brian, we're moving back home, we're not going to come back here," she finally said. Brian's mouth parted and he stared at her dumbfounded.

"But, why?" he asked, his voice trembling. Nicole looked down and said quietly, "Because we have to."

Brian didn't push it, maybe because he knew he wouldn't get a straight explanation from her or because he simply couldn't speak. He broke down crying where he sat, crying into his hands. Nicole moved over quickly and wrapped her arms around him. Brian sat up and let her arms envelope him, holding her to him close, never wanting to let her go.

"Why don't you see it Nicole?" I asked looking at the two. "Just look at him."

Brian sat there in Nicole's arms crying, wanting to tell her not to leave.

"He's in love with you honey, he fell in love with you," I said softly. I stared at Nicole as she rubbed his back, frowning so deeply. Her eyes were burning, I could tell. She wanted to let go of something that she knew she couldn't.

"No," I breathed out. "Nicole no."

Nicole buried her head into Brian's shoulder and squeezed him tight.

I looked down finally realizing what was happening, finally realizing why she couldn't see that he loved her, couldn't FEEL that he loved her, finally realizing why she was frowning so much, why her eyes were burning, why she didn't want to leave.

"I told you not to fall in love," I said quietly turning around and walking slowly back to my room. "You didn't listen. Why didn't you listen?"