- Text Size +
Brian's View

"Hey Rok, how's it goin'?" Nick greeted from the living room. I walked over and plopped down next to him on the soft black couch where he was playing a video game.

"I'm doin' alright. How about you?" I asked looking over at him. I could tell he was having a good day. He's one of those people where you can just tell straight off what kind of mood they're in by looking at their facial expressions.

"I'm great! I went to the mall earlier to get the new Mario game and I'm already beating half of it. I'm telling you Rok, they need to hire me to come up with harder games. These are just too damn easy," he said smiling widely. I laughed lightly and said, "Glad to know you're doin' alright."

"Yeah, so what time is it? I've been sitting here forever, I can barely feel my ass," he said, never taking his eyes off the TV. I looked over at the VCR clock and then said, "It's 4, what time do we have to be at the dance studio?"

"5, but 'Tima said that she would like it better if we were a tad bit earlier. Don't ask me why, I have no idea. If anyone would know, it's Kevin 'cause she called him first."

"Do you think it's something important?" I asked. He shrugged and goes, "Maybe, maybe not. Who knows with Fatima. You know how she is Rok. She could sound serious and what it really turns out to be is really stupid."

"Did Kev sound like she was serious?"

He shrugged again and paused the game.

"I dunno, but I don't think we're in trouble with anything. She just wants help with something," he said as he got up off the couch and walked over to the TV. He turned it off and then turned around smiling.

"Feelin' lucky Bri?" he grinned, rubbing his hands together mischievously. I scrunched up my nose and said, "That didn't sound right man."

"NO! Not like that! I mean basketball you nitwit," he laughed as he bent over and picked up the round ball and spun it on his finger.

"I know that dumbass, and yeah, lets go play a few rounds. I'm just warning you that you aren't going to win. You never do," I said as I got up and snatched the ball from his hand.

"Hah! We'll see about that 'Mr-I'm-the-best-basketball-player-around.' I just hope you know I've been practicing," he said proudly.

"With who? Your mini you?" I teased.

"Shut up man!"

"Well, then who's been helping you become so good?"

He just shrugged.

"Don't shrug, tell me," I pushed. He just shrugged again.

"Fine be that way, I'm just going to assume it was your stuffed teddy bear until you tell me," I grinned walking past him.

"You suck," he mumbled. I just elbowed him in the stomach and kept on walking to the backyard where his basketball court stood.

An Hour Later

I closed the door behind me as I got out of Nick's BMW. We just got to the dance studio and we were about to head inside. I kind of took Nick out of his happy mood by beating him 68-54. It wasn't that bad of a lose, but to be honest, he has been getting better. A whole lot better. I'm finally getting some competition.

"Don't be such a sore loser," I said to Nick who was walking ahead of me, his hands stuffed in his pockets.

"How can I not? I've been practicing, but it's like each time you come over to play, you get better and better. Do you ever practice?" he asked slowing down for me to catch up to him. I fell into step with him and looked over and just shook my head.

"That's just messed!" he exclaimed. I laughed at how upset he was that he lost and patted his back, "Don't worry about it. You are getting better."

"Thanks," he said. I just smiled at him.

We entered the studio and went over to the side where Howie, Kevin, and AJ were sitting quietly. Howie was playing with his keys, Kevin was fiddling around with his cellphone, and AJ was leaning back in a chair with his hat pulled low. It looked like he was trying to sleep. I don't really blame him.

"WASSUP!" Nick yelled running up to AJ's chair and kicking one of the legs. The result being AJ flying back out of his chair, landing on his back. We all burst out laughing. AJ's hat had flown off and he looked dazed, but then realized what happened and rushed to his feet.

"I'm gonna kick your ass little dude!" he yelled sprinting after Nick. Nick ran in circles a couple times around the dance studio before AJ jumped on his back and tackled him to the floor. I just shook my head laughing and looked over at the other guys.

"Hey," I said sitting next to Kevin.

"Hey Cuz, how you doin'?" Kevin asked as he slipped his cellphone in his back pocket. I just shrugged and said, "I'm doing pretty good. I kind of wish I was still home sleeping. I had a rough night."

"So did AJ. I called him up this morning to tell him about Fatima and all, and once I spit it out, he grunted and hung up the phone. I knew he wasn't gonna get out of bed so I took the liberty of going over to his house and throwing him in the shower. That woke him up," he smiled.

"You did that?" I laughed.

"Yeah, he wasn't too happy about it. What did you guys do anyway?" he asked.

"He took me out clubbing and I guess we stayed out a little too late," I said leaning back in the chair. Kevin just nodded.

"Yo Kev, where's 'Tima? She wanted us to be here earlier and she's not even here yet. That's pretty jacked up if you ask me. The first time in how long we're all here on time and she isn't? I don't know about you guys but I'm gonna give her hell," AJ said coming up to us a little out of breath. Nick walked up behind him, his hair all ruffled up. I looked over at Kevin and saw him shrug.

"She'll be here soon I guess."

"Why does she want us here?" Howie asked.

"She wouldn't tell me."

"She wouldn't tell you? She always tells us no matter how good or bad it is," Howie said.

"Well, she didn't this time."

"Hey boys!" we heard an all too familiar voice exclaim. We all turned our heads and saw Fatima walking over to us in a pair of Adidas tear aways and a black tank top.

"Hey," we all said, getting up out of our chairs.

"Ready to learn some new moves?" she smiled as she came up to us. Nick groaned loudly, as did most of us, but Nick stood out the most. Fatima laughed a little bit and just said, "I'm just teasing you. I wouldn't put all that work on you on your break. Chill."

"Then what do you want us here for?" Kevin asked.

"I need a little favor from you guys," she began.

"What kind of favor? Is it a BIG favor? Or a small favor? Or a kind of in between BIG and small favor? Or..."

"Shut up Nick!" AJ yelled punching his arm lightly.

"Ow," Nick mumbled rubbing his arm. AJ just rolled his eyes.

"It's not that big of a favor but it's still a favor."

"Well, shoot, you know we'd be glad to help ya out Fatima," Howie said. We all just nodded.

"OK, you guys remember Madeline? She was on the very first tour. She's like my best friend and all that," she asked looking at all of us. Our faces all went blank.

"Come on guys! You gotta remember Madeline! She's the short blonde girl that always brought you guys donuts in the morning..."

"Oh yeah!!! I remember her!" Nick exclaimed, smiling widely. We all just looked at him but then just nodded our heads telling her that we knew who she was.

"Well, I don't think you knew this but she has a little sister Nicole..."

"Do you need us to baby-sit her or something?" I asked.

"Well, yes and no. She's old enough to take care of herself, but she's really new here and she needs some help getting settled down and all that. I would do it myself, but I'm real busy trying to pick some dancers for the next tour and since you guys are free, and probably have nothing else better to do, I was wondering if you could show her around?" she asked looking at us hopeful.

"Sure why not, how long is she going to be staying here?" Kevin asked.

"About a year. She's gonna live with Madeline down at this apartment complex. Madeline would show her around too but she has school and work so she's real busy. Are you sure this is OK with you guys?" she asked.

"Yeah, it's completely fine," I smiled at her. I was looking forward to it. I loved watching kids. I wanted some of my own someday so I guess this could give me some practice.

"Alrighty, thanks so much you guys! This means a lot!" she smiled happily.

"No prob. Is...um..." AJ began.

"Nicole," Fatima finished for him.

"Yeah! Is Nicole here? I wouldn't mind meeting her..." he said.

"Oh, yeah, sorry, I forgot about that," she smiled. She then turned around and raised her hands up to her mouth, afterwards yelling, "Nikki! Girl come in here and meet the guys!"