- Text Size +
The Next Day

Brian's View


I stepped out of my jeep and looked nervously up at the apartment buildings in front of me. Would she still be there? Probably not, but it didn't hurt to try. If I didn't try and she was still there, I'd feel guilty for the rest of my life.

I took a deep breath and began to walk up the stairs to her door. The closer I got to her door the more nervous I became. I licked my lips and stopped in front of it.

I raised my hand, hesitated, but then lightly rapped on the door. I stood there waiting for a minute or two and just when I was going to turn and go back to my car, convinced that she already left, the door swung open.

I jumped a little surprised and faced the person.

"Can I help you?" the fat ugly man asked as he tore off a piece of bread with his teeth and smacked on it.

"Uh...is Nicole or Madeline home?" I asked nervously, stuffing my hands into my pockets. Why the hell would a man be in their apartment? Especially this disgusting creature.

"Who?" he asked eyeing me.

"Nicole or Madeline," I repeated for him. He shook his head, "Never heard of 'em."

"I must have the wrong apartment. Is this 24A?" I asked. He nodded and tapped the number on the door, "Sure is."

"Oh, I'm guessing you moved in today when they left," I said a little sadly.

"Moved in? Today? Hell no. I've been living here for the past 3 years," he said. I stopped fidgeting and stood there, staring at him blankly. Did he say 3 years?

"Ex...excuse me?"

"I've lived here for the past 3 years," he repeated. "Man, are you OK? You look like you're gonna hurl."

I swallowed hard and shook my head, looking down, "I'm fine. Thank you."

"Uh huh," he said and then slammed the door. My mouth had fallen open and I was staring at the ground blankly. I was in complete shock. I felt completely sick. My stomach had started to churn. I stumbled toward the railing and put my arm out to lean on it.

I had been able to keep my composure longer than I had thought I could, but I had totally lost it at that point. I knelt down and fell on my butt. I put my head in my hands and just started to cry.

Why do I have such bad luck with girls? It's like I'm cursed. I thought something great happened when I fell in love with her, but no, oh no, she just had to be an angel. Angels can't be with humans, but why? Well, that's a stupid question. Let me see, maybe it's because they're pretty much dead!

I groaned and opened my eyes. I rubbed my eyes and was about to get to my feet when something caught my eye. I froze and squinted.

No, it couldn't be.

I got to my feet and walked slowly towards the stairs. I bent down and picked up the white rose that was lying silently at the top of the stairs. I looked around quickly, looking over the railing and into the parking lot below.

"Nicole?" I called scanning the area. I frowned and looked back down at the rose, knowing that seeing her again would probably never happen.

Nicole's View

I pushed through the door blindly, sighing deeply. I was deep in thought about what had happened. I was deep in though about Brian.

"I heard what happened," I heard someone's annoying voice whine from behind me. I spun around and glared at her.

"What do you want?" I snapped.

"What a nice way to greet a friend," she scoffed.

"Friend? You're far from it Eugene," I said turning around and starting to walk.

"I hope you know you're in big trouble," she said running to catch up, standing in front of me.

"Oh really? You think I didn't know that?" I asked.

"You must be really stupid to fall in love with a mortal like that," she said.

"Shove it Eugene," I snapped trying to push past her. She held out her arm to stop me.

"Woah! Look at that anger. Haven't seen that up here in awhile. And why so fast? Running to your little daddy figure?" she said in a baby voice. I didn't say anything.

"Don't think you're better than everyone else just because you got a mortal to fall in love with you," she said, her tone turning angry.

"What!? I don't think I'm better than everyone else!"

"Uh huh, you did this on purpose. You wanted to be little miss popular around here didn't you? I know you made him fall in love with you on purpose."

"Oh really? Then I must be some dark witch or something huh? There's no way I could have made him fall in love with me! It happened on it's own OK? Get your facts straight," I snapped. I tried to push past her again but she held out her arm once more.

"You should go to hell for this," she growled.

"Me? Go to hell? I think you need to turn it around sweetie," I said pushing her arm out of the way. Her mouth dropped open. As angry as I was, I was relishing this new freedom that erupted within me. I felt uninhibited and it felt amazing.

"How dare you!" she exclaimed.

"Leave me alone. You should be lucky you're even up here. I know what you did in your past life. Stop acting like such a snot and act like a civilized angel for once. I pity the people that you've tried to help. I'm sure you failed quite a few times huh?"

She shifted her eyes nervously away from mine.

"Uh huh. So don't you dare go off saying that I'm lower than everyone else here because I fell in love with a human and a human fell in love with me. Some things are meant to happen Eugene," I said and then stopped suddenly. Bill's voice echoed in my head 'Most things only happen if they're supposed to.'

"I gotta go," I said hurriedly rushing past her. I heard her shout something after me, but I didn't listen to what she said. I was running toward Bill's home. I needed to talk to him.