- Text Size +
Brian's View

I stuffed my hands into my pant pockets and walked through the hall toward the living room.

"Hey man," I said. Nick nodded his head as to say 'Hi' as he tried to defeat some ugly looking monster on N64.

"What's up?" he asked.

"Just got back from Nicole's," I said.

"Who?" he asked. I stared at the back of his head and then toward his fingers that pressed the buttons quickly.

"Nicole," I repeated.

"Who's Nicole?" he asked sticking his tongue out at the screen.

"Nikki..." I said looking at him strangely.

"Cute name, but who is she?" he asked.

"Stop playin' man, you know who Nicole is," I laughed lightly. He shook his head saying, "No I don't. Is she a new friend or something?"

"No," I said slowly.

"Wassuh! The bone daddy is in the house!" AJ barked as he entered the room grinning widely.

"Hey," I said.

"Sup? Yo Nick," AJ waved.

"Yo," Nick replied never taking his eyes off the television screen.

"What's up B?" AJ asked as he took a seat next to me.

"Wondering why Nick wants to pretend like he doesn't know who Nicole is," I said rolling my eyes. He furrowed his eyebrow, "Who?"

"Nicole!" I repeated more fiercely.

"Man, I'm telling you, I don't know that girl," Nick said finally pausing the game and turning around.

"Stop playin' around. AJ, you don't need to get in on this joke too," I said. He looked at me confused, "What joke?"

"Acting like you don't know Nicole."

"But I don't know any Nicole..." he said slowly. I stared at him and then over at Nick. They were both looking at me strangely.

"You don't know who Nicole is?" I asked. They both shook their heads.

"Did B hook up last night?" AJ grinned punching my arm.

"No, I didn't," I said frowning.

"Well, then who's this Nicole girl?" Nick asked.

"A girl I fell in love with," I said softly.

"What!? Hold up, hold up, hold up..." AJ exclaimed shaking his head unbelievingly. "Did you just say you fell in love?"

"Yeah," I said looking at him like he were stupid. "You knew..."

"I did not," AJ protested.

I looked between the two of them, "Guys this isn't funny."

They just stared at me blankly.

"Bri, we seriously don't know who you're talking about," Nick said looking at me apologetically. I looked into his eyes and found no hint of him being untruthful. I turned my head to look at AJ. He just stared at me like he were lost.

"I can't believe this," I said to myself sinking down into the couch. "Everyone has forgotten Nicole ever existed...except me."

Nicole's View

"What's this crap about Brian not forgetting about me?" I asked sitting down in front of Melanie. She looked up at me surprised.

"Hey Nikki, I heard you were back," she smiled. I looked at her pleadingly, "Please tell me what happened. You, Bill, and Madeline are the only ones I can really turn too. 'Tima is still down there."

She looked at me for a second and then said, "What do you need to know?"

"Why Brian didn't forget about me like he was supposed to."

"Where did you hear this?"

"I didn't hear anything, I saw it," I said.

She nodded, "You should know by now that some things don't go as planned."

"Obviously," I said.

"You, of course, have began to change, so that didn't go back to the way it should have. Brian was supposed to forget about you, but since he fell in love with you, he can't. How can a person forget about someone they love? They can't. It's what human emotions do to you. We have no way of making him forget you."

"Oh, so the other guys don't remember me cause they didn't love me?" I asked. She slowly nodded, "Not like Brian does."

I stared down for a second taking in what she said.

"What am I supposed to do?" I asked quietly, more to myself than to her.

"That's what you're supposed to figure out," she said. I looked up at her, "But I don't know! Brian's going to slip into another depression, what am I supposed to do about that?"

She slightly smiled and said, "Do what Bill told you."

She then got up and started to walk away.

"What did he tell me?" I asked not knowing what she was talking about. She stopped, turned around, and smiled, "Listen to your heart."

A Few Hours Later

I sat there on the white sofa inside my home, chewing my nails nervously and staring at the ground. What was I going to do? Nobody was being cooperative. They all just tell me that I have to figure it out. It seems easy enough doesn't it? Sure it does. It's a simple decision. Yeah, a simple decision for a normal person. This was something much more complicated, this was something no other angel would get the chance to do. Well, something that no other angel will be able to do in a very long time. I have to decide to become human or to stay an angel for all eternity. I have to decide to be with the man I love or leave my family and God. I have to decide whether I want my life back, a life that was taken away from me 280 years ago. If you think about it, I was getting a second chance, but did I really want it? I don't know.

I looked up to the sound of rustling. Madeline came into the room quietly, never glancing at me.

"Hey," I greeted her. She looked up at me for the first time and smiled lightly.

"Is something wrong?" I asked looking at her face. She took a deep breath and said, "No, not really, but something is bothering me."

"What is it?" I asked curiously. She walked over to me and sat down.

"It's about Brian," she said. I laughed lightly, "I figured as much."

She gave me a small smile, "I overheard Bill talking with the council earlier."

"About Brian?" I asked. She nodded, "And Leighanne."

My heart skipped a beat and my eyes furrowed, "Are they...are they together again?"

She shook her head, "No, of course not."

"Then what about them?"

"Did Brian ever tell you why Leigh left him?" she asked looking me over carefully. I shook my head slowly.

"Never?"

"No."

"Would you like to know?" she asked.

"Of course I do Maddy."

"OK," she sighed. "Leigh left Brian because Brian told her he didn't love her."

"Oh wait, I know about that already," I interrupted. She stopped and looked at me as if she were thinking.

"Ah, yes, OK, I forgot about that. He told you when he came over that one night right?" she asked. I nodded.

"All right, then we'll skip all that," she said as she waved her hand. "Since you know that, do you know why he could never love her?"

I shook my head and said, "No."

"Because of you," she said looking me square in the eye. I looked at her confused, "Because of me?"

She nodded.

"But Maddy, he didn't even know who I was until 2 months later!"

"I know, I know, but he told her he could never love her because he was only meant to love you," she said. I stared at her incredulously.

"Maddy, you can't be serious! He had no idea I existed then! How could he love someone he never even met?" I asked. She lightly smiled and pointed to her head and then to her heart, "He knew in his heart and in his mind that he didn't love Leighanne, that he loved another woman, a woman that was his true soul mate."

I shook my head, "I don't understand."

She sighed, "Gosh, how am I going to explain this? Bill found out from the council that they made Brian say those things to Leighanne."

"Wait," I interrupted. "You're telling me the council took over Brian's mind and made him tell Leighanne those things to get her out of the picture?"

She bit her lip and tilted her head to the side looking unsure at my words, "I guess you could say that."

"That sounds like something the devil would do!" I exclaimed. "The reason why he went into that depression was mostly because of her! They're responsible for him going into that depression!?"

"Calm down Nikki, let me finish explaining," she said looking at me a little shocked at my outburst. I nodded and sat listening to what she was telling me.

"I know it sounds evil to do, but you have to think why the council would do such a thing. They would never do something that would endanger a human life and they would never do something that would change the course of their lives. They did this for a reason.

The council sent one of our oldest angels down to earth. Brian had lunch with him because he thought that the person he was having lunch with was an old friend from Kentucky. The angel did something, I don't know what, it was something we can't do because we're still so young, but it made Brian go home to Leighanne with something on his mind.

He didn't really know what was bothering him at first until Leighanne came in and sat down next to him. His mind then started putting pieces together and those pieces are the words that came out of his mouth that made Leighanne leave. After those things were said, they were erased from his mind so he wouldn't remember what had happened. He remembers that he did say something that made her leave, he remembers how she left, he remembers her tears, but he doesn't remember what he said to her. He never will. He won't even remember it if someone told him what he said, which is the case. When he ran into Leighanne, she burst out what he had said to her. He got really confused and came to you to help him feel better."

"What did he say exactly?" I asked quietly.

"That he didn't love her and that he could only love you," she said. "I don't want you thinking that they made him not love her, that he actually did love her but they fooled around with his emotions to make him think he didn't love her. That's not true at all. Brian was blind with Leighanne. He thought he loved her, but he really didn't. He knew that something wasn't right. He could feel it, but the feeling wasn't strong enough to make him realize that Leighanne wasn't the girl he really loved. Sooner or later he would have proposed to her, they would have gotten married, and he would always have that feeling that he made a mistake. That Leighanne wasn't the love of his life. The council simply helped him get back on the right track. They prevented him from making a mistake. You see that right?"

I slowly nodded trying to take in everything that she was telling me.

"But why would they make him say he loved me? I'm an angel, I can't possibly be his soul mate. They should have made him think of another girl," I said. She smiled, "They didn't make him say a girl's name. They didn't make him think of a girl at all."

I looked at her puzzled, "But you said he told Leighanne that he could only love me."

She nodded, "Yes, that's true, but they didn't put it into his head. It was already there."

I stared at her blankly, "I'm lost here."

She lightly laughed, "What I'm saying is the angel that got Brian to tell Leighanne those things only made him say that he didn't love her. Nothing more, nothing less. He didn't make Brian say who he really loved. He didn't make Brian say he could only love you. He only made Brian say he didn't love Leighanne."

"Wait...I don't think I'm hearing this right," I said shaking my head unbelievingly. "Are you saying that Brian said that he could only love me on his own? The angel didn't make him say it? The angel had nothing to do with it?"

She slowly nodded, "Nikki, you still have a lot to learn, but all humans know in their head who they truly love. It's always in the back of their brain, sitting and waiting for that one person to show up so it can then open up and let the person know that 'hey, that's the girl/boy that you're supposed to be with.' Am I making sense?"

"Kind of," I said. "So are you saying that Brian knew that I was the one he could ever really love? That my name and my face have been sitting in his head waiting for me to come along so it could tell him that he's supposed to be with me?"

She smiled and said, "I shouldn't really be telling you but I hear no one else is really helping you out on this, so I might as well. Yes, you're right. When he was born, you were the girl that he was meant to fall in love with. You were the girl that sat in the back of his mind waiting for you to come along. When he saw you, he knew that you were that girl because his mind was sending feelings to his heart, and his heart was sending feelings back up to his brain pretty much yelling at him that you were the one. I know that if you were a human you would know too that he was the one you were supposed to fall in love with."

I smiled widely as she told me that, "I'm supposed to be with him?"

"You need to think about what I just told you and decide if you really are supposed to be with him. It's your decision Nikki," she said.

I threw my arms around her and hugged her to me tight, "Thank you so much Maddy. You have no idea how much that helped me out."

"No problem. Just don't tell anyone I told you. Bill will kill me if he finds out I helped you make a decision with this whole thing," she said.

"I promise I won't tell," I said.

"Do you know what your decision is?" she asked slowly. I bit my lip and said, "Yeah, I'm pretty sure, but I don't know really yet. I just have a lot of thinking to do."

She nodded and said, "You do that and if your mind fails you, do what Bill told you to do."

"Listen to my heart?" I asked. She smiled, "Do that and you'll never go wrong."