- Text Size +
Brian's View

I stared at the two dancing figures on the screen surrounded by several people watching them as they rose off the ground. I can't believe I was sitting through this. Sitting through the one movie that I always watched with Nicole.

"Can I keep you?" Devon Sawa whispered into Christina Ricci's ear. I rolled my eyes and said, "No!"

I switched off the TV and slumped back on the couch, licking the chocolate from my lips. I tossed the rest of my Milky Way to the side and just laid there staring around the room. I felt ridiculous. I was handling things like a sterotypical woman, but what else was I supposed do?

I sighed, rubbing my eyes in frustration. Nicole's voice echoed all around me.

"This is your favorite movie?"

"What? It's cute!" she defended, smiling.

"Why do you like it so much?" I asked.

"I don't know...I guess I can just relate to it."

"Relate to it?"

She smiled, "It's hard to explain."


I can't believe I didn't see it. All the signs she was giving me. Everything just led up to how she was an angel.

"I don't know...I guess I can just relate to it."

Tears came to my eyes hearing her say those words over and over in my head. She could relate to it, she was like Casper. She wasn't a ghost, but an angel looking over a human. She can't be with me, just like Casper couldn't be with Kat.

"I don't know...I guess I can just relate to it."

A few tears escaped from my eyes. I wiped them away and reached up to touch one of the chains around my neck. I picked up the half heart and stared at it.

"You once asked me if I ever thought I met an angel," I said softly, running my finger across the heart. "I didn't get a chance to answer you, but my answer was yes. You were that angel. You were my angel even before I found out everything. You were my angel, my angel that I fell in love with."

Nicole's View

I ran my fingers across the heart on the necklace around my neck and sighed sadly.

"There's my girl."

I tilted my head so I could see who had entered the room.

"Hey Bill," I said sadly. He leaned on the wall and stared at me with his arms crossed over his chest.

"I never thought I'd see you like this. It's like looking at a mortal," he smiled lightly at me.

"Is that a compliment?" I asked dropping the heart back on my chest. He shrugged, "Looking like a mortal isn't bad."

"Yes, it is," I grumbled. "I'm an angel, not a human."

"Is that what you want though?" he asked looking at me intently. I stared at him tossing around the question in my head. I then slowly shook my head, "No."

"No?"

I shook my head again, "I want to be with Brian."

His smile slowly crept on his face, "Is that your decision?"

I nodded, "Yes."

"Are you sure?"

I bit my lip but then nodded.

"You do know what you're sacrificing right? You know that once you become mortal you'll forget about me, about Madeline, about Melanie, about ever being here? You'll forget about being an angel, about helping Brian, about the powers you possess. You'll only know that you love Brian and that he loves you."

I frowned and felt my eyes start to sting.

"I don't know if I should do this," I said quietly. I tear crept from my eye and slid down my cheek. I wiped it away quickly, trying to hide it from him.

He frowned slightly and walked towards me, "You shouldn't hide a tear Nicole. You shouldn't be ashamed of it."

"But I am, it's what got me into this mess in the first place!"

He shook his head, "No, I'm the one that got you into this mess."

"What?" I asked, a bit confused.

"I had a meeting with the council before you left. They suggested that you took this job. I didn't know why at first, so I let you take the job just for the heck of it."

"You didn't know this would happen though. It's not your fault," I said. He sighed, "It partly is. I knew what was happening a few weeks into it. I didn't want to stop it because I wanted to see how things would turn out. I didn't think it would really go to this extent. I'm surprised that it did."

I looked down and fiddled with my hands. He set his hand on my hand to stop my fiddling.

"I'm scared," I said softly. He nodded and wrapped his arm around me and said, "Don't be honey. You're going to be with the man you love. A man that will treat you the way you should be treated. You should be with him. You need to be with him."

"But what about you?" I asked looking up at him with tear filled eyes. He slightly smiled, "What about me?"

"I'm going to miss you and when I leave some other girl is just going to replace me," I said. He shook his head, "No one is going to replace you. I requested to not look after anymore girls. I want to be looking after you and Brian to make sure things go all right for you two."

"You're going to be watching me?" I asked. He nodded, "Of course, we all are. We aren't going to forget about you Nicole. You're going to be the topic of conversation around here for a very long time. You broke down our most important barrier. You fell in love with a human and somehow a human fell in love with you. You're one famous girl."

I lightly smiled, "Am I going to see you again?"

"You will in about 60 years," he smiled. I nodded slowly and said, "That's a long time."

"Yeah but you'll get through it. You'll be up here again in time and we'll be together again, we'll just have Brian to keep us company too," he said squeezing me lightly.

"You promise you won't forget me?"

"I promise."

"And you promise to watch over me?"

"I promise."

"OK," I smiled.

"And don't worry about how you won't remember me, Madeline, Melanie or Fatima. You'll start to remember things as you get older, but for now, you just need to focus on living. You're going to see us again I promise you."

"Thanks Bill," I said standing up. He stood up also and hugged me to him close. I kissed his cheek and rested my head on his chest.

"I love you papa, don't forget that OK?" I said softly.

"I could never forget that and even though you won't know that you love me in your mind, I know you'll know in your heart," he said kissing the top of my head. He rocked me back in forth in his arms not saying a word. Tears were seeping out of my tightly shut eyes and wetting his white shirt.

"I'm going to miss you," he whispered.

"I'm going to miss you too."

He pulled away and said, "Now keep your chin up and make the most of your second chance at life."

"Thanks a lot," I said kissing his cheek. "Be sure to tell Melanie and Madeline thanks for everything and that I'll miss them OK?"

He nodded, "Will do."

I sighed and let out a shaky breath.

"Ready?" he asked. I looked up at his sad filled eyes and nodded slowly.

"All right," he said and then bent down and whispered in my ear, "Remember to just smile. Smile your heart out."

A smile crept up onto my face and my eyes slowly closed.