- Text Size +
The Next Day

Brian's View


"Have you thought about getting back together with Leigh?" Kevin asked through the phone. I rubbed my forehead stressfully and said, "No."

"Why not?" he asked. "Don't you miss her?"

"Of course I miss her. It's just that I don't feel that way toward her anymore. Besides, she wouldn't want to get back together," I replied.

"You never know but you shouldn't be dwelling on this Nicole girl if you don't even know where she is," he said. I sighed, "I know, I know."

"Tell you what, how about we go out tonight? Just do something to get your mind off of things," he suggested.

"Yeah, OK, that sounds good," I agreed.

"Alright, I'll call you later," he said.

"OK, but Kev?"

"Yeah?"

"Are you sure you don't remember Nicole?" I asked hoping he'd remember her at least vaguely. He sat there in silence for a moment thinking and then said, "No, it doesn't ring a bell. Sorry man."

"Nah, it's OK, I'll talk to you later," I said.

"Later," he said hanging up the phone. I hit the "Talk" button and tossed the phone onto my bed. I rubbed my hands through my hair and looked around my room. Everything was so quiet. Living in a house with your dog isn't really what it's cracked up to be. Yeah, wow I'm a bachelor but I'm lonely, really lonely.

The chime of the doorbell broke through the silence. I jumped a little surprised and then made my way down the stairs.

"I'm coming," I called. Tyk came barreling into the hallway toward me.

"Hey boy," I smiled picking him up. He licked my face and snuggled up in my arms. I walked the rest of the way to the doors and then slowly came to a stop. I looked around me nervously as I saw the front door wide open.

"Hello?" I called through the quiet house. I gently put Tyk down and went over to the door cautiously. I grabbed the handle and pushed the door shut.

"Is somebod..." I stopped as my bare foot touched something soft. I jerked my foot up on impulse and looked down. A single white rose rested beneath me.

I bent down and gently picked it up, staring at it and twirling it slowly between my finger tips. My heart started to speed up.

"Nicole?" I called taking my eyes off the rose. I got no answer.

"Smile though your heart is aching..." a soft voice sang suddenly somewhere further into the house. I stepped forward and felt something else soft beneath my feet. I bent down and picked up another rose.

"Smile even though it's breaking..."

I walked down the hall slowly trying to see where the voice was coming from. Every few feet there was a white rose lying silently and peacefully on the floor, waiting for me to pick it up.

"When there are clouds in the sky you'll get by, if you smile through your fears and sorrows...smile...let me be tomorrow...you'll see the sun come shining through...if you..."

The flowers led to the staircase. Instead of whole flowers on each step, hundreds of little white pedals were scattered over the marble steps. I climbed them slowly until I got to the top of the stairs.

"Light up with your face with gladness...hide every trace of sadness..."

My room. The voice was coming from my room. I followed the rest of the rose pedals down the hall to my room. I didn't walk in at first, very hesitant at what I was going to see. Instead I peered inside to see if there was anyone in sight. There was no one.

I stood there in the hallway for a second but then slowly entered the room looking around. I still couldn't see anyone. Rose pedals were all over the floor and the double doors to the balcony were opened, the curtains were flapping in the breeze.

"Although a tear may be ever so near..."

I twirled around to see a girl standing just a few feet away from me. I didn't say anything, I couldn't really, I was in too much shock.

"That's the time you must keep on trying...smile...what's the use in crying? You'll find that life is still worth while...if you...just..."

As she sang those words she slowly stepped toward me and pretty soon, she was so close I could have leaned down and kissed her.

A smile spread across her face as she sang the last word to the song I only knew of one person to ever sing to me, "Smile."

"Nicole..." I breathed out. She bit her lip and looked down, then looking back up into my eyes.

"It's me," she said softly. Tears stung my eyes as I looked down into her smiling face. I raised my hand and gently touched her arm, letting out a shaky breath when my hand didn't go through. She wasn't an illusion, she was really there.

"Oh God," I said wrapping my arms around her and pulling her to me close. She wrapped her arms around my neck and squeezed me tight.

"I thought I was never going to see you again," I choked out. I was going to start crying any minute.

"I thought I wasn't going to see you again either," she quietly said.

"Did you come back to say good-bye?" I asked. I felt her shake her head, "No."

I pulled away and looked down at her tear filled eyes.

"What are you here for then?" I asked.

"To be with you."

A smile crept up onto my face.

"Really?"

She smiled and nodded. I grinned widely but soon my smile faded.

"What's wrong?" she asked furrowing her eyebrows.

"You can't be with me," I frowned deeply. Her smile returned and she said, "How are you so sure?"

"Because you're an angel and I'm...whatever you guys call me," I mumbled. She stroked my cheek and said, "I'm not an angel anymore. In fact, once you kiss me, I'll officially be human and I'll forget I was an angel. You'll forget I was too."

I stared down at her a little puzzled.

"You're just pulling my leg," I shook my head.

"I'm not," she said looking at me in the eye. She was telling the truth. My grin reappeared and I wrapped her in another hug.

"You did this for me?" I asked softly. I felt her nod her head, "Why not? I love you."

My heart fluttered when she said those words. I squeezed her gently.

"I love you too," I whispered in her ear. She pulled away and looked up at me smiling. I stroked her cheek and leaned in slowly. I closed my eyes and let my lips brush up against her soft lips. My whole body grew weak with the touch of her lips.

I hugged her to me close once more and whispered ever so softly, "Can I keep you?"

I could tell she was smiling. My heart was racing anticipating what she was going to say. My whole body then relaxed and I let out a sigh of relief as she answered me.

She whispered back, "Always."