- Text Size +
Brian's View

"I'm stuffed like a turkey," I said as I set down my fork and leaned back on the blanket, patting my stomach lightly.

"I know what you mean," Nicole laughed from next to me. "This must have taken you forever."

I looked around me and shook my head, "Actually it really didn't. I had it all planned out so it was pretty easy."

"It sure is a lot," she said. I shrugged and said, "It's worth it."

She smiled and said, "You're so sweet."

"Why thank you."

"But seriously, a picnic on the beach at night...it's just too good of an idea."

"AJ kind of gave me the idea a while back. We were talking on the tour bus about perfect dates, don't laugh, we were bored, and he said that girls really like beaches and picnics...so why not put them together?"

"AJ's a ladies man isn't he?"

I laughed and said, "Yeah, you could say that."

She nodded and grew quiet.

"It sure is pretty out," she said softly as she looked ahead at the water that sparkled under the moon's rays.

"Yeah it is," I breathed looking at her peaceful, beautiful face. This whole night, I couldn't bring myself to look away from her. I don't know what it was, but for some reason, I just couldn't stop looking at her. I couldn't even try. She was just too beautiful.

"Brian?" her heavenly voice filled the air.

"Hmm?"

She bit her lip and then turned her head to look at me, "How are you?"

I was a little taken aback on her question. I found it quite odd how she all of a sudden asked a question that should have been asked earlier in the evening.

"Why do you ask?" I asked.

She shrugged, looking back at the ocean saying, "It's just a question. I was just wondering how you were."

"Oh...I'm fine," I said quietly, for the first time taking my eyes off of her and looking down.

"Are you?" she asked with so much intensity it shocked me. I lifted my head and met her eyes. She was staring at me intently.

"Yes, I'm fine."

She looked at me with the same sternness for a few more moments, and then a small smile broke out on her face.

"That's good," she said nodding. I looked at her strangely and slowly nodded my head. We grew quiet once again. I closed my eyes and breathed in the salty air around me, the crashing of the waves against the shore reaching my ears. I could sit here forever. It was so peaceful.

"I missed this," Nicole said suddenly. My eyes opened and shifted over to her. She was now standing, with her arms crossed over her chest, looking out at the ocean.

"Missed what?" I asked, getting to my feet also. She looked over at me and smiled, "Nothing. Come on, lets walk."

She took my hand and pulled me down the beach, my feet sinking in the cool smooth sand.

"You must really love living here," she said.

"Yeah, it's great. It's a beautiful place to live," I nodded.

"It sure is. That's why I wanted to move here."

"I think you picked wisely," I smiled over at her.

"You say you're from Kentucky right?" she asked.

"Yup."

"Don't you miss it?"

"Of course I do," I said. "So does Kevin."

"No...I mean like really really really miss it. To the point of your heart hurting over it," she said. I looked over at her and then to the front of me, focusing in on the rocks that were ahead of us.

"You do don't you?" she asked.

"I never said that," I said quickly looking over at her. Her eyebrows furrowed and she said, "Well do you or don't you?"

"It's true I miss it, but I don't miss it that much," I shrugged. She just stared at me as we walked hand and hand down the beach. She finally said, "That's good then."

"Yup," I nodded. "But enough about me, what about you?"

"What do you mean, what about me?" she asked.

"Well, don't you miss where you came from?" I asked. She shrugged slightly and said, "I haven't been away from it that long. I've lived there for so long, longer than anyone would wanna live, so it's nice to have a change of scenery for once."

"I can understand that. Where do you live again?"

She smiled at me and said, "Up north."

"OK, I gotta ask, is up north like a town?"

She laughed as I said that.

"What? I'm just wondering."

"It's not a town. It's not really important where I used to live."

"Yes, it is. I want to know where you lived. I want to know all about you."

She waved her right hand, dismissing what I said by saying, "I'll tell you some other time."

I stared at her and finally just nodded my head.

"At least tell me this, was where you lived nice?"

She glanced at me and nodded, "It's one of the most beauiful places in the universe."

"Why did you leave then?"

She shrugged slightly and said, "Business."

"Business?" I asked a little confused.

"Yeah," she laughed at my expression. "Family business."

"Oh, OK, now I get it," I smiled. She just smiled back and me and squeezed my hand lightly.

"Are you guys going back on tour soon?" she asked.

"Um, not that I know of. We're taking a 4 month break. This is still our first month. I don't know when we'll be going back on tour," I replied.

"I bet you're gonna miss that. Touring must be so fun," she smiled at me. I slightly smiled back at her and looked ahead, shrugging lightly.

"Yeah I guess so."

"Don't you think so?" she asked. I looked over at her again and said, "Yeah, it's great."

Her eyebrows furrowed and she said, "You don't seem too confident when you say that. Do you have fun on tour?"

"Of course. It's just that it gets tiring you know?"

She nodded and said, "I can understand that. Is it stressful?"

I shrugged and said, "At times it can be. The fans can sure get out of control."

"Do you ever regret getting into the business?"

I licked my lips and took a deep breath, trying to figure out how I was going to answer that. The truth is, I could never really answer that question. I used to answer it with a 'no' but things have started to change and I've been having trouble figuring out if I do regret it or not.

"No," I stated as firmly as I could.

"Really?" she asked. I could tell that she somehow didn't fully believe me.

"Really," I smiled.

"You're a good guy and a smart one at that. You're smart enough to know what you want in life."

I looked down and said quietly, "Yeah."

She squeezed my hand once more and put her head on my shoulder. I let go of her hand and wrapped my arm around her shoulders, pulling her closer.

"Thank you for taking me out tonight," she said softly. I leaned my head on hers and said, "It was my pleasure."

For the rest of the time we spent at the beach we talked about anything and everything. We talked about what we thought about life, about music, about hate...about love. We talked about love the most, she couldn't ask enough questions about it. At times it felt like I was trying to teach a little girl about love. You can never teach a person about love, they have to experience it to fully understand it. Nicole has never fallen in love. She said she just wasn't able to. I don't really undestand what she meant by it, if she meant she's been too busy or never found the right guy to love.

I don't know what it is, but at times I think she's holding things back. More than I know of. She's mysterious you could say. I couldn't really understand her. She's a great girl and something inside me tells me that I should be afraid...be cautious, but I just couldn't. There was something about her that lured me to her, that made me never want to let go. I have never met someone like her before in my life, I never knew such a person could even exist. I really don't know what it was, but she was different. Not different in the sense of how people have different personalities, but different in a way that no one could understand. I wanted to understand and I was going to no matter what.