- Text Size +
It was July 22nd. The day of the first concert had finally arrived.

Karyn was nervous and couldn’t keep still for a minute. She had been waiting all day in the lobby for the boys to show up but no such luck. Katelynn spent her time laying in the sun making the best of this whole trip by working on her tan.

It didn’t take long for the evening to arrive. They were slowly getting ready. Karyn was in a hurry but Kate just laughed.

“Girl, relax. We have seats for the first row. You won’t miss a thing. It’s still two hours, remember?” she said rolling her eyes. She was wearing simple jeans and an orange shirt but her sister couldn’t decide.

“Lynn – help me,” Karyn sounded almost desperate. This whole BSB thing meant the world to her. She wanted to look good for the guys.

“Here take this one. It’s cute,” Katelynn handed her a blue sundress. She wanted her sister to look normal. She really wasn’t thrilled to see her in a band t-shirt which she was still wearing.

She looked doubtful at the dress but took it anyway. She guessed her sister had more sense for fashion as she did.

15 minutes later they were on their way. The first accounter with the boys was about to come.

Hardly did they know this was the beginning of an adventure that would last longer than anyone thought.

***


“BACKSTREET BOYS! BACKSTREET BOYS!”

The screaming was overwhelming when Katelynn and Karyn entered the Sound Advice Amphitheatre of West Palm Beach.

This is ridiculous, Kate thought. She had never seen so much fans at once and it seemed like every single one of them was screaming. This is crazy.

They moved forward, jealous eyes following them. Her dad must have spent a bunch of money for these seats. Not only were they front row seats but they were right in front of the stage, too. Karyn was screaming when she saw them, Katelynn wasn’t happy at all. She saw cameras and a big screens over the stage. She knew from experience that the people sitting first row were filmed and she didn’t want to be seen by anyone. This whole following around was embarassing enough.

Suddenly the lights went out and the screaming became even louder. Katelynn was sure she would be deaf after the concert. She looked over to her sister. She had to make sure she saw right. Karyn was crying. She could only roll her eyes. Why were girls crying now? Nothing had even happened yet.

Music began playing loud and clear. Fans started jumping up and down. The spotlight went on and there they were. Kate couldn’t see their faces yet but she saw five figures coated by light.

Let me tell you the story 'bout the call that changed my destiny…” someone started singing and fireworks started to go off. But it wasn’t really that that caught her eyes.

Me and my boys went out just to end up in misery. Was about to go home when there she was standing in front of me and said ‘Hi, I got a little place nearby.Wanna go?” The fans kept singing along. More like screaming along, Kate thought.

She kept her eyes on the stage. Still staring.

I should've said no - someone's waiting for me. Then I called my girl up and said,” the guys went to the front of the stage, standing right before the two sisters and they everyone of them joined in, “Listen baby, I'm sorry just wanna tell you don't worry, I will be late don't stay up and wait for me. I said again, you’re dropping out, my battery is low, just so you know we're going to a place nearby - gotta go!

Now it was the blonde guy who started singing and he did it while looking Kate right into the eye, “Now two years gone, nothing's been won. I can't take it back, what's done is done, one of her friends found out that she wasn't my only one and it eats me from inside that she's not by my side - just because I made that call and lied!

Karyn turned her head to her sister looking shocked. “Oh my God, Kate! Did you see that? Nick was staring at you the whole time!!” She screamed so her sister could hear her.

“Nick?” she asked before shrugging her shoulders, “who cares?”

Karyn could only shook her head at her sister’s disinterest.

To be honest, Katelynn had noticed. How could she not? Two beautiful blue eyes staring at her, singing to her, but she didn’t want it to get to her. She was here for a concert and not a staring contest.

She liked having this guy’s, what was his name again? Oh yeah Nick, attention for awhile but he kept doing it and it started to annoy her. Doesn’t he have better things to do? Making his fans happy or whatever?

Karyn enjoyed every minute of the concert, singing along, grabbing the guys’ hands whenever they came close to her. She was on cloud nine.

Katelynn had to admit she liked the concert as well, besides the staring. Especially one song got to her and it didn’t leave her mind even when the show was over.

Never gone, never far
In my heart is where you are
Always close, everyday
Every step along the way
Even though for now we've got to say goodbye
I know you will be forever in my life


***


Katelynn was glad when they were back in the hotel. She felt safer there even though girls were giving her evil glances. What’s their problem? It wasn’t her fault they were staying in the hotel of the guys. At least I am not some stupid groupie, she snickered.

They went upstairs getting ready for bed, she could sense that Karyn was exhausted. She nearly fell asleep in the car and she was glad she didn’t because she slept like a rock when she was really tired.

Kate wanted to be tired, too, but she just wasn’t. She had feared the nights since her mom died because she couldn’t help but have nightmares.

Like she thought, Karyn was asleep as soon as she hit the mattress and she was glad about that. She, on the other hand, lay awake staring at the ceiling for about an hour before she decided to get up again. Maybe a drink will knock me out. She really wanted to believe that because tomorrow wouldn’t be any different than today. They would have to get up early and go to Tampa next because the second concert was calling already. Katelynn needed sleep and if it wasn’t coming to her she was getting it.

She silently got her clothes back on and went downstairs. There were still girls sitting around. Dressed in mini-skirts and a bunch of make up on their faces. Groupies. She could only shake her head because she couldn’t understand how girls would want to sleep with somebody they thought they knew but didn’t at all.

Kate made her way over to the bar, showing her ID to the security standing on the entrance. There were only a couple of people sitting around. She guessed they only let in hotel guests staying here, the ones who didn’t look like they were ready to do anything.

She sat herself at the bar, ordering a vodka coke when she heard screaming outside. She turned her head towards the door, wondering what was going on and she regretted it right away. The guy from stage that kept watching her was making his way over to her. What is he thinking? Do I look like a freaking groupie? Katelynn rolled her eyes.

He sat himself down right beside her, ordering a beer before turning to her.

“Hi,” he smirked.

“Hi,” Kate replied annoyed. She came down here for a drink not for a conversation.

“I saw you today at the concert. Did you like what you saw?” he asked,

He wants to make small talk? She couldn’t believe it. “It was okay,” she gave back.

“Just okay?” he laughed. Kate wondered what was so funny but she shrugged it off.

“Yeah, so what? I am forced to see your shows, that doesn’t mean I have to love them, right?”

She could sense a bit of uncertainty from him. “Forced?” he asked with raised eyebrows.

She had to laugh at that, he reminded her of a small kid not getting what it wants at this very moment.

“Yeah – forced. I’m following you guys for my sister who loves you guys. In fact I really can’t understand but who cares?” She swallowed down her drink before getting up, ready to leave. She pulled out her wallet ready to pay but a hand moved over hers.

“I got that, don’t worry,” he smiled.

Now it was Katelynn who raised her eyebrows. Did he think he could buy her or something.

“No thanks,” she smiled sweetly at him, pulling her hand out from under his, “I can pay for myself.” And with that she laid $15 on the table before moving to the door.

“By the way,” he yelled after her, “I am Nick!”

Katelynn rolled her eyes, “whatever,” before she letting the door swing closed.

Nick was left behind but he had a grin sitting on his face. He now knew she would be around and he understood the whole thing as challenge. “This will be fun,” he whispered before turning his attention back to his beer.

How can I begin to
Tell you what ya do to
Me every time I hear ya
More willin' I wanna see ya

I know that there's no use in
Tryin' to explain my confusion
But still I'm not complainin'
'Bout my situation


***

Lyrics by the Backstreet Boys “The Call”, “Never Gone”, “My Beautiful Woman”
Chapter End Notes:
If you read, please leave feedback! =) Thank you!!