- Text Size +
"There it is."

Kevin slowed the car and pointed to a big brick house standing on a hill above the highway.From a distance,it looked empty,deserted,maybe even haunted.

I looked up.Not happy with what I saw.It was in terrible shape.

"It's a little...uh,run down."

"Just look at the woods,fields,the river,and the hills.It's paradise."

Unfortunately,Kevin's enthusiasm was lost on me.My idea of paradise would be sand,sun,surf,and a lot of babes.Hot babes.Not some old spooky house in the country.While Kevin was going on about hiking and fishing I stared at the endless fields of corn.I wanted to tell him I changed my mind.But it was to late.We get our first vacation in god only knows when and I was stuck with this.

When Kevin pulled up in front of the house the three of us sat there still for a moment and stared at the gloomy pile of bricks.

Up close it looked even worse.Ivy clung to walls.A vine heavy with bunches of purple blossoms twisted around the porch.Paint peeled.Loose shutters banged in the wind.Slates from the roof littered the lawn.It was like an Alfred Hitchcock movie I tell you.I looked over to Brian as Kev got out of the car.

"Is he for real?"

"You know how Kevin gets."

As Brian and I got out of car,thunder boomed overhead and a bolt of lightning zig-zagged into the woods behind us.