- Text Size +
"Let's get inside before the rain starts." Brian said giving me a gentle push toward the house.

The entrance hall was even gloomier then the outside.Smells of wood smoke and the ashes of long ago fires were hanging in the air.

It was damp and dark.Light filted through a stain-glass window halfway up the stairs to the second floor.Kevin led me to a small room.

"You can sleep here.Brian and I will be down the hall if you need us."

Before I could say a word Kevin was gone.I was surrounded by antiques.A tall carved headboard leaned over the bed I was supposed to sleep in.A spooky cabnet with mirrored doors lurked in a corner.Rocking chair.Bookcase.Deck.

I turned on the lamp and started to unpack.For the next hour or two I kept myself busy.I open the door opposite of my bed.Instead of finding a closet,I was surprised to see a flight of steps.Almost blocked by old boxes.I climbed the steps.They led up to a dark attic.Cold,damp air blew on my face.Tickling my nose with the smell of dust.The floor creaked under my feet.I was just about to look around when I heard Brian calling me.

"Nick,dinner."

I ran downstairs with a smile.Wait til I tell them.

"You'll never guess what's in my room!"

"The attic?"

"Ah,How'd you know?"

Kevin smiled at Brian."This is our uncle's place."

"Yeah,We spent a lot of time here."

"Why didn't you tell me that?"

"Just didn't think about it I guess."

We sat down with a plate of spaghetti.I stared at the bubbling tomato sauce.If I only knew what was waiting for me upstairs I would have never went back to my room.