- Text Size +
Nick smiled at the two girls in front of him. He couldn’t tell if their expressions held more shock or embarrassment.

“buh duhduh buh” Kim sputtered. She wasn’t sure how many shades of red a person could turn, but she was pretty confident she had hit every single one of them.

“I’m Nick” he said extending his hand to the taller curly haired brunette on the left.

“I’m completely mortified, and my name is Mary” said Mary with a sheepish grin.

He turned to the shorter brunette on the right. She had found sudden interest in her shoes. Nick put his hand out and she looked up meekly.

Holy shit, she thought, he must have heard that whole conversation. Oh shit oh shit oh shit OH SHIT!!! Ok, calm yourself down. You are a successful 26 year old business woman, you are not a teeny bopper anymore, you can handle this. Breathe in, breathe out, and pray actual words come out this time.

“I’m Kim and I have a terrible habit of sticking my foot in my mouth. It’s very nice to meet you” She said

Way to cover, be cool.

“Nice to meet you two ladies too. WHOA!” Nick said looking down at their full cart. “Feeding a small African country or having a party?”

“Definitely a party. That’s actually why we were, well, um” Mary stuttered “discussing you. You might think it’s kind of lame but it’s a theme party”

“You’re having a Backstreet Boys themed party?” Nick said confusedly giving them a strange look.

These girls are in their mid 20’s at least. This might be the time I start backing away.

“No no no!” Kim laughed “It’s more a time period party. You know how everyone has like 50’s, 60’s, 70’s, or 80’s themed parties?”

“Yeah”

“Well, we were a particularly fond of the late 90’s to early 2000’s. The time when pop music ruled the radios. Sabrina the Teenage Witch was on TGIF and butterfly clips graced the heads of all teenage girls” Mary said wistfully yet jokingly.

“It was pretty much the prime years of our lives. Oh to be a teenager again.” Kim said giggling.

Nick laughed at the two of them standing in front of them. He could tell that they were a lot of fun and this party was going to be a blast.

“ I must say I would agree with you ladies. Those years were pretty great for me too.” Nick agreed. Those were the prime years of his career. The Backstreet Boys could do no wrong in the eyes of their fans, girls would travel hundreds of miles and pay lots of money to see them. Things were a little different now. He didn’t really worry about being ambushed by swarms of girls anymore, in a very strange way he missed it.

“So, what does this party exactly entail?” Nick said shaking himself from his thoughts.

“Well, mostly it’s an excuse to get completely wasted. It’s been a very long couple of weeks for us.” Mary said with a laugh. “But, we will be playing amazing 90’s-2000’s jams including but not limited too of course the Backstreet Boys, NSYNC, 98 Degrees, Britney Spears”

“Pre-going completely insane” Kim interjected.

“Of course” Mary agreed “Jessica Simpson, Christina Auguilera, Mandy Moore, Savage Garden, most likely a little Ricky Martin, there will be Bon Bons being shaken. Ummm”


“Definitely TLC, some sugar ray.” Kim said with a straight face “Basically all of the greatest music of our time, oh!! And I totally forgot, Sisqo’s- The Thong Song.”

Nick started laughing “ Are you two serious? That sounds like so much fun; my friends never do anything silly like that.”

“We didn’t even start with what we are going to wear. People think the style of the 70’s and 80’s was crazy. Bascially the boys will be wearing flannel or a sports jersey. Basically the girls get to wear crunchy curly hair, those AMAZING flared jeans with the designs on the leg, and the best part…. BODY GLITTER” Mary said excitedly.

“Wow, just wow, you girls seem to have this all worked out.”

“This has been years of planning, I think we just perfected the place list yesterday” Kim said.

“Well you ladies have fun. I hope you put some tracks from Millennium on that list, it has some good dance songs. It was nice meeting you” Nick said pushing his cart past the girls.

“Bye Nick, it was great meeting you” called Mary.

“Bye!” called Kim.

Kim and Mary wanted nothing else but to turn to each other and start chatting about what had just happened to them. Unfortunately, they had already been overhead talking about Nick in the grocery store and didn’t want to suffer that embarrassment again. They looked at each other and knew exactly how much each other was freaking out inside.

“WAIT , Nick” Kim called after him.

He turned around and looked at her.

“Yeah?”

“If you’re not busy, well, I mean if you’re not busy, or don’t have anything better to do…”Kim started.

“spit it out woman!” Mary hissed quietly in her ear.

“doyouwanttocometoourparty?” Kim asked in lightening speed.

“Excuse me?” Nick asked.

“Would you like to come to our party tomorrow night? I mean, it’s not going to be classy like you’re probably used to, but there will be, lots of food” Kim said pointing to her cart “ and beer and music. It should be really fun.”

Nick smiled. This could be fun he thought, these girls seem really fun, and if not its only one night!

“I think I’d like” he said walking back towards the girls, pulling out his cell phone. “Let me get your number”

Mary gave him her number while Kim dug through her back for something to write their address on. After they exchanged information they went their separate ways. The girls finished their shopping, loaded everything in Kim’s SUV and hopped in their seats and closed to doors.

As soon as the girls buckled their seat belts, they turned to each other and started squealing like the 16 year old girls they used to be.

“KIMBERLY CALLAHAN WHEN THE HELL DID YOU GROW BALLS?!?!” Mary exclaimed to her best friend.

“I have no fucking idea. None at all. I can’t believe he said yes. Do you really think he’s going to come??” Kim asked excitedly.

“I really really hope so. I guess our mom’s were right about picking up cute guys at the grocery store”

“Lila’s not going to believe us. Never.”

“Then let’s pray he comes on Saturday”