- Text Size +
The doorbell rang and Cheryl rushed to answer the door.
"Hey, babe," Dan said with a smile as Cheryl opened the door.
"Hi, Dan. Give me minute, ok?"
"Yea, no problem."
Cheryl ran to grab her coat before leaving for her last night with Dan. Dan took Cheryl to the restaurant where they had their first date, hoping it would help to mend the troubles within their relationship. Cheryl was beyond surprised when they arrived. The location had so much meaning to both of them that she began to feel guilt welding up inside of her upon the thought of breaking up with Dan. Ending her relationship was never something she wanted or planned. But after four years with him, she realized she didn't feel the same way anymore. In turn, she constantly found herself picking fights with Dan, subconsciously hoping it would cause them to break up.
But as long as she left the decision in Dan's hands that would never happen because his world fell within her heart. There were never any words that could describe the intensity of his love for Cheryl. She was his survival and his reason for living, but that didn't matter to Cheryl anymore. Instead, she doubted his feelings and questioned his love, despite knowing there would never be anyone better.
The dinner went relatively well, and Dan fell even more in love with Cheryl. On the other hand, Cheryl wondered how Dan would take it at the end of the night when she told him their relationship was over. She thought Dan was completely unaware of her intent, and she faked her happiness while she was with him to prevent him from knowing her true feelings.
But Dan had figure out long ago that Cheryl was pushing him away. He just hadn't figured out why. He was hoping that on this night, he could reassure her that they would be alright together, and nothing could ever come between them. He knew he had to come up with the right words to say to her so she would know how serious he was.
When Dan went up to pay the bill, he asked for a small piece of paper and a pen. On the paper, he wrote her a short note and prayed his life wouldn't change.
Without a word, they walked out of the restaurant and got into the car. Remaining silent the entire drive, they arrived at the movie theatre. Dan's heart was shattering with every moment of silence. He knew something was wrong, but for the first time in his life, he hoped that if he just ignored it, it would go away.
Cheryl and Dan went into the movie, remaining silent. Dan didn't mind as much though, because the theatre at least gave them a reason for their silence.
Cheryl paid no attention to the film, and she visibly looked as though her thoughts were moving faster than her mind could keep up with. Dan remained still, only his fingers in his pocket moving as he fumbled with the note he had written earlier. Simultaneously, Dan and Cheryl wondered what either should say after the movie ended. What was there to say? With each passing second, they were moving farther apart from each other. Dan hated it, and Cheryl was ok with it.
The only thing they had in common was that neither Dan nor Cheryl ever expected things to end the way they were. It was long and painful, disguised by lies.