- Text Size +
I open my eyes and realize that it is morning. I smile to myself knowing that in about an hour I am going to be off of this ship. I get out of my bunk and stretch my arm to the ceiling and squeal loud. That is kind of my thing…. Squealing… I do it a lot. I walk over to my locker to decide what I am going to wear. I look through my clothes and decide on a light blue tank top and some black skinny jeans. I choose a pair gray flats to wear with them. I pull my blond hair up into a high pony tail. I put on some mascara and lip gloss and then examine myself in the mirror.


I really wanted to lose about five more pounds. I am not fat over overweight by any means, but I gained a little bit of weight when I returned from Iraq last year. I started to drink a lot and I found comfort in food. I was now only five pounds from my original weight. My long blond hair desperately needed to be trimmed. It was getting so long. It is almost touching my butt now.


I look at myself one more time and walked out of the room to go find Elle. “It is about damn time” she said as I walked in the room. “I was beginning to think that you left me.”


“Sorry, I was having trouble deciding on what shoes to wear”


“You ready” she say’s jumping up.


“Yeah.” I reply as we turn to walk out the door. Once we leave the ship I immediately feel like I am going to puke. After being on a ship for so long flat ground feels really weird. It is like when you are running on a treadmill and you suddenly get off without progressively slowing down. You know you kind of feel like you are walking on air. After a few minutes we get our land legs back.


“So, where to first?” I ask excitedly.


“How about shopping!?” she replies as an evil grin moves across her face.


“Oh yeah! Let’s go!”


We take a cab to the shopping district. When we get there I am stunned. It is absolutely amazing. The streets are all cobblestone and the street light are actually little lamps. It smells of a bakery and a flower shop at the same time. I can’t help but realize that all of the conversation around me is completely foreign. The language sounds so beautiful. I make a mental note in my head to learn to speak Spanish.

“Let’s go in there.” points Elle. She is pointing to this quaint little clothing store. We head over and I instantly see things that I want. As I rummage through the racks I can’t help but think about being home, so that I could be doing some shopping with my little sisters. Since joining the Navy, I never see them anymore. I choose a few tops and a really cute hand made scarf and pay for them. As Elle and I walk out of the store we are suddenly bombarded by people running in every direction. With in an instant I don’t see Elle anymore. “Elle!” I scream. “Elle!!” Nothing. Great this is fucking great. Now I am
lost in a fucking city I have never been in before and to top it off I am by myself. I take a deep breath and decide to continue looking for her. She couldn’t have gone that far. Then out of now where I get knocked over and onto the ground.


“What the Fuck…. watch where you are going” I yell as I try and pick myself up.


“ME!... you ran in to me!”


“Give me a…..” I suddenly lose my words. I am staring into some of the most beautiful eyes I have ever seen. They are the deepest shade of blue with just a hint of yellow. Gorgeous, is the only word popping in my head. “Ummm…. I uhh…umm…shit”


I see the guys face soften a little. “Sorry” he says. I wasn’t really watching where I was going.


“That is ok. I wasn’t really paying attention either.”


“You looking for something or somebody?” he asked


“Yeah. I lost my friend in the sudden rush that just cam through”


“Oh that. There is a street parade going on a few blocks over, people were probably heading to that.” He stated knowingly. “What’s your name and where are you staying? Maybe I could help you get there.”


“My name is Desiree, but people call me Dessie” I say shaking his hand. “And I haven’t got a room yet. I just got here”


“Well it is nice to meet you Dessie, and I will help you find a room.”


“Don’t you think maybe you should tell me your name?” I state.


“Umm… ok it’s…. Nick.” He replies with a little hesitation. Almost like he didn’t want to tell me. He did look a little familiar to me, but I am sure if I knew him, I would never forget a face like that.


“Well Nick, it is nice to me you too” I say smiling up at him.


“Shall we...” he say’s reaching out to take my hand. “I wouldn’t want you to get lost again.”


I smile shyly and take hold of his hand. He has to be one of the cutest guys I have ever seen. And I don’t normally go for blonde headed guys. I still have this feeling that I know him from somewhere.



“Why don’t we stop and get some lunch and we can talk about possible places for you to stay.” he suggests.


“Ok” I reply still not really able to talk much.


He chooses this little Italian restaurant that looks kind of like a hole in the wall. We walk in and he requests a table in the back. I wondered why he didn’t want to sit out on the patio, but didn’t bother to ask.


“Don’t you find it kind of funny that we are in Spain eating Italian food?” I ask kind of giggling.


“I love Italian in any country” replied Nick. “But we can always go to the McDonald’s around the corner.” He added.


“UGH! No! Italian is my favorite. I just find it kind of funny that we are eating it in Spain.”


“SO tell me a little bit about your self.” Nick say’s after the waitress takes out orders.


“Well, I am 25 and I from Louisiana, but I am currently in the Navy and our ship is here on port call”


“Navy, huh? I love the water. I considered joining the Navy just for that purpose” he said looking really interested.


“I love the water too, but it kind of loses it charm after 23 days of nothing but water”


“23 days! You have been on a ship for 23 days!”


“Yeah…” an uncomfortable silence fell over the table. “What about you?” I ask to break the silence.


“What about me?” he shrugs.


“What are you doing in Spain?”


“OH! Umm…. I am here for work to. It is kind of a business trip.”


We talk a little more about the Navy and I tell him about the medical department where I work, and I tell him how I have two more years in the Navy. He doesn’t really talk much about himself, but he does tell me that he is from Florida and his family lives in California now. He also tells me that he is 26 years old.



“I have an idea” he suddenly say’s. “Why don’t you come back to my hotel? You could get a room there. And you can hang out with me and a few of my friends tonight” he offers.


I think for a second and decide that I am in a different country to enjoy myself and do new things. And this is considered a new thing. “Cool! I’d love too”


“Great!”