- Text Size +
I vaguely remember the sirens. AJ and I both are trapped in the car. I can still see AJ in my head. His body was lifeless. I reached for him, but I couldn't get to him. I can remember screaming his name. Then there is nothing. I can't remember a thing after that. I am trying to grab something, anything to let me know that he is ok, but there is nothing there.



***Hospital***



"Mr. Carter..." the doctor said as he walked up to Nick.



Nick jumped up from the seat to shake the doctor's hand. "How is she? How is the baby?"



"I am terribly sorry, but it doesn't look very good right now. She is in a coma, and we have her on life support due to the injuries to her internal organs. Both of her lungs are collapsed, she has several broken ribs, both of her legs are also broken, along with her pelvis."



"What about the baby? Is the baby ok?"



"The baby is hanging on right now, it was touch and go earlier. The baby's heart rate was erratic, but it seems we have got it under control. We may have to take the baby earlier than expected."



"Wait you can't, she is only 24 weeks; the baby can't live at 24 weeks."



"It can live at 24 weeks, it has been done before."



"No, you can't take it yet. Dess would want it to stay in here as long as possible. She wants to give it as much time as she can grow."



"Look as long as Desiree is stable, we can leave the baby in utero, but if she gets worse, we will have to take the baby or it will die."



Nick nodded his head ok. This had been the worst day of his life. His best friend is dead, and his fiancé is in a coma fighting for her life. How did things end up this way? A year ago, things were finally starting to look up, and now...now things couldn't get much worse.



AJ died in route to the hospital. He had massive internal injuries. The doctors said that he probably didn't feel any pain. Nick was just so confused. He couldn't understand why I called AJ instead of him. Actually I would never tell him why I called AJ.



I was in a coma for three and a half weeks. I will never forget the day I woke up. It was such an intense day. I had never in my life she Nick look so exhausted. He looked like he hadn't slept in days.



"Nick." I manage to say. My throat hurt so badly.



"Oh my Dess, you are awake... Nurse...Nurse..." he said running out of the room. "She is awake." He ran back into the room. "Oh Dess, you woke up. I can't believe you woke up."



I just stare at him so confused. "What happened?"



Nick stared at me for a few seconds. I am guessing he was trying to figure out how to tell me the most devastating news of my life. "You and AJ were in a car accident. You were severely injured. You have been in a coma for more than three weeks. They really didn't think you would make it. You have been on life support, to keep the baby alive..."I reached down and touched my stomach. "She is fine. She is strong." He said as I close my eyes thankful.



"AJ... how is AJ?" I ask remembering the accident a little. The look on Nicks face said it all. He didn't even have to say it. "No Nick, no please. Please Nick; tell me that he is ok."



"I am so sorry Dess, but he is gone. He died on the way to the hospital. His injuries were just too severe."



"No...no..." I begin crying. Nick wraps his arms around me and holds me tight.



"I am so sorry, baby."



I couldn't believe it. AJ was dead. It was my fault. If I hadn't called him to come get me, or if I hadn't told him that I wanted to be with him, he would be alive. I bury my face into Nick's chest. "It's my fault, if I hadn't called him to come get me..."



"No! It is my fault. I shouldn't have cheated on you, if I hadn't have cheated on you, if I had just been there for you, you wouldn't have needed AJ. It is my fault that all of this happened."



I sob harder into his chest. "How could this happen, how could things be so messed up. I just don't get it. It isn't fair."



"I know baby, I know, but you have to calm down. You need to keep it together for Presley." He replied as he held me in his arms.



I realize that he is right and I try to calm myself down. It takes a few minutes, but I am finally able to stop crying. "How did it happen?" I ask referring about the accident.



"The police said that it looks like the 18 wheeler moved over into the right lane just as AJ was pulling back onto the road. You guys were trapped in the car for about an hour."



"How is the guy who was driving the 18 wheeler?"



"As far I know he is fine." He answered shrugging his shoulders like he was unsure.



We both sat there in silence for a few minutes. So many questions were running through my head, I didn't even know where to begin with asking them. It was just so surreal. The next thing I knew, the doctor was coming to see me.



"Miss Mizell, I see you have woken up. I must admit, I didn't think you were going to pull through."



"Am I going to be OK?" I asked.



"Well, I wouldn't say that you are out of the woods yet. While your were in the coma your HELLP got progressively worse. Your kidneys are barely functioning, and your blood pressure has been through the roof. I suggest that we get the baby out as soon as possible."



"How far along am I know?" I asked forgetting the date.



"You are almost 28 weeks."



"I want to wait, then. Please just get it a couple more days. Everyday she can stay is better for her."



The doctor nodded his head in agreement. "OK, we can do that. We will schedule the surgery for next Tuesday. It is Thursday, so that will give her another 5 days."



"Thank you." I say wiping tears from my face.



"Yes Doctor, that you very much." Said Nick as he shuck the doctors hand.



After the doctor left, Nick sat down next to me. I feel his stare. I had my eyes closed trying to comprehend everything that had happened. "Why are you staring at me?" I ask with my eyes still clothes.



"I'm just so happy that I got you back...Dess?"



I open my eyes and look over at him, "Yes."



"Marry me..."



"Nick... I just don't..."



"Dess, look we don't know what is going to happen today or tomorrow. I know that I want to spend the rest of my life with you. I know that I want you to be Mrs. Carter. I don't want to wait another day. Please Dessie, just marry me."



I stare at him for a few more seconds and then nod my head ok "Ok, Nick, I will marry you."



"Thank you, thank you so much. I am going to go get a minister right now."



"Don't we need a marriage license?"



"I am going to get it too. I will have it faxed over here so that you can sign it. I will be back." He said kissing me before turning around and headed out of the door.



A few hours later Nick was back with our marriage license and a minister to marry us.

The ceremony wasn't anything extravagant. Nick and I said traditional vows and Howie and Brian were there to witness. Nick gave me a dozen flowers and a beautiful wedding band, along with a new ring. I hadn't even noticed that me original one was gone. It had to be cut off after the accident.



So that was it, I was married. I was now Mrs. Nick Carter, or Desiree Carter. Strangely I did feel content about it. Even though I had made up my mind before the accident that I was going to leave Nick and be with AJ. Things changed though. Presley had to have a father, and this way even if she is AJ's, she will have a daddy.



***Tuesday Morning***



The day was finally here; today I am going to have Presley. I have to be honest, I was terrified. I just felt like something horrible was going to happy. All I could do was pray that she would be ok. We had already instructed the doctors to get a DNA test done on her so that we could know right away if she was Nicks or not. Not that it really mattered anymore, but if she was AJ's we wanted her to know.



Nick is going into surgery with me. I am going to get to stay awake, so that I can see her as soon as she is born. I may not be able to see her for a few days after that. We have already been told that she will be taking to the NICU immediately. At 28 weeks gestation, she will still be really small and really weak. They warned us that her lungs may not work and her skin may be really translucent and sensitive.



So, the time came for surgery and I am wheeled down the hall and into the OR. A few minutes later Nick comes in a sits down next to my head. He leans over and kisses me softly. "I love you Dessie. This is it...she is going to be here in just a few minutes."



I am given my spinal and the doctor's prep. A few minutes later once the spinal took full affect the doctors inform me that they are about to begin. The next few minutes seemed to go on forever. Every thought imaginable went through me head, what would she look like, would see have any hair, will she live, and that is when I heard the most beautiful sound in the world. She was crying. I look over at Nick who has tears running down her checks. She is immediately brought over to a small table were they stick tubes down her throat her cry is getting louder. I just wanted to see her so bad. Nick gets up and walks toward her. I see him look back over at me and smile. At that moment I knew that she was going to make I knew that she was going to be a fighter.



A few minutes later a nurse brings her over to me so that I can look at her. I kiss her on the head and say "Hello, Presley, I am your mommy. I love you." I close my eyes and lay my head back down. I can hear a lot of commotion around me, as I feel myself drifting away. Suddenly it is like I am not in my body anymore. I literally am not. I can see everyone in the room. I see them trying to revive me. I see Nick, fighting to get next to me.



"Help her..." he screams as they push him out of the room.



The doctors really tried to bring me back, but it didn't matter, I knew that it was my time. I knew that I had served my purpose. Presley was the reason I was put on earth. To give her life.