- Text Size +

"Did you really mean that?" Katie asked after she and AJ had settled into their assigned seats.  The rest of the guys and their dates were finishing up with their red carpet duties or greeting friends before the show started, so Katie and AJ had a few semi-private minutes to discuss things.

AJ couldn't get a good read of Katie's thoughts on the subject, "Umm...do you want me to mean it?"

Katie thought for a minute, her insecurities trying to take over, What if he was saying it for me, but he doesn't really mean it?  Maybe he's just trying to make me feel better about coming out here.  Or he's just trying to get something from me later...

Katie knew none of that was true.  She remembered what Kristin and Leighanne had said at dinner the other night.  She slowly nodded and looked over at him.

"If you wanted to mean it, I want you to mean it."

"What the hell are you two talking about?" Nick walked up, practically dragging Anna to their seats.

"I have to sit next to you?" Katie giggled.

"It's a privilege to sit next to me.  Anna here can vouch for that one," he grinned at Anna who was taking her seat next to him.

She rolled her eyes at him, "Of course it is!"

"So, back to what you two are jabbering about..." Nick pried.

"Must you be so nosy?" Katie poked him.

"I must.  AJ has this big goofy grin on his face.  I know he can't have gotten lucky, there's too many people..." Nick started speculating.

"No, no one has gotten that kind of lucky," AJ glared at Nick.

"Omigod," Anna squealed, "Omigod, omigod, omigod!"

Anna looked at Katie, and she knew.

"What's she freaking out about?" Brian asked as he, Leighanne, Kevin and Kristin walked up to take their seats.  Leighanne looked at Anna, then noticed Katie and AJ.

"Omigod," Leighanne joined in the squealing and hugged Katie, "I knew it!  I knew it was going to happen before you went back home Katie!"

The guys, aside from AJ, looked at each other and the girls, completely confused.

"Can someone fill the rest of us in?" Kevin inquired.

"We're dating," Katie smiled.

"I kinda said something to Norris when he stopped us on the carpet."

"Wow..." Howie said.

"Yeah, it was kind of a surprise," Katie replied.

"That he said something?  You two didn't discuss it beforehand?" Brian questioned.

"No, not exactly," Katie responded.

"We hadn't really even discussed officially dating at all," AJ admitted, "I said it and then prayed to the heavens she wouldn't kill me after the fact."

"You're still alive...and she looks pretty happy.  Congratulations you two."

***

"So who's party are we going to?" Nick asked when they had all piled back into the limousine.

One of the stars was having a big after show party.  Everyone would be there, so they had decided on this party as their first stop.  It wouldn't be a big deal if they didn't make to any other parties after.

Everyone was there when they arrived.  They all separated to mingle with the other guests.

"You want something to drink?" AJ asked Katie.  She nodded and he left her briefly to get drinks for the both of them.

On his way back to Katie, AJ was stopped by another woman.  The interaction was short and Katie could tell he didn't want to see this woman.  He walked away from the other woman back towards Katie, but she followed him.

He handed Katie their drinks, "Babe, can you gimme a minute?  This should only take a second."

Katie nodded and took both drinks.  He gave her a kiss and turned around, pulling the other woman a few steps away.

"What do you want Amanda?" he spat at the woman.

"Just wanted to say hi," Amanda said in her sugary sweet voice.  Anyone who really knew her knew that the voice was completely fake, just like the rest of her.

"You said hi.  I need to be getting back to my girlfriend now."

"Aww and you're not going to introduce me?  I'd love to meet the girl who's going to try and fill my shoes!" Amanda grinned as she pushed past AJ to get to Katie.

"Amanda, just go," AJ demanded as he followed her to Katie.

"No, I want to meet her.  Be a gentleman, won't you?" Amanda said as she stared Katie down.  Katie held her ground.  She didn't know much about this woman, but she'd seen pictures of her and AJ together.  Once Amanda had stepped into closer view, Katie recognized her as AJ's last ‘serious' girlfriend.

AJ huffed, but he knew the only way he might get Amanda to leave them alone was to introduce them, "Katie, this is Amanda.  Amanda, Katie.  You've been introduced, have a nice night now," AJ tried to shoo the woman away.

"So nice to meet you Katie," Amanda said.  Katie could practically see the venom dropping from her words.  This woman was mad that AJ had moved on from her.

Katie just smiled, nodding.  She was afraid she would say something mean if she opened her mouth.

"You better be treating my boy good or I might have to come take care of you," Amanda laughed.

Katie looked at AJ, almost as if looking for permission to smack this woman.  Katie decided against it, instead opting to get the two of them out of there.

"Baby, I'm getting really tired.  Do you think we could go?" Katie pulled a fake yawn.

AJ flashed her a quick smile, silently thanking her for an excuse, even if a fake excuse, to get the out of the party.

"Yeah.  It's been a long day.  Let's get you back to the hotel," AJ wrapped an arm around Katie and turned back to Amanda, "Well, we're going to get going.  It was so nice to see you."

Amanda rolled her eyes and watched AJ and Katie walk away.

"I always thought she looked like a bitch," Katie whispered.

They found the rest of the group, all deciding it was time to leave.  The girls were all exhausted from the excitement, and the Boys had an interview in the morning.

They got into the limousine and conversation immediately turned to the scene everyone else had seen play out between AJ, Katie and Amanda.

"What the hell was she doing there?" Howie asked.

"I don't know.  She won't back off.  She would've done me right there on the floor in front of everyone if I'd have let her!"

"Yeah, I'm sure that's exactly what Katie wants to see!" Kristin said sarcastically.

"Yeah, that would be great, you're new girlfriend watching your old girlfriend ravage you in public," Anna laughed.

"Ravage?" Nick looked at Anna.

"Would you rather I said boink?  Or screw?"

Everyone cracked up in hysterical laughter.

Once everyone settled down a bit AJ added, "I'd said if I let her.  No way in hell I'm letting her ravage me again!"

"No, no, that's Katie's job now!" Howie announced and sent the group into laughter again.

AJ turned to Katie, "So what about that deal we had?"

"Deal?" Kevin asked, "Do we even want to know?"

AJ grinned.

"By the looks of J's face...I don't think I want to know," Brian said.

"I told AJ that I have a tattoo."

"Okay, and...?" Leighanne prodded.

"Do not encourage them," Brian scolded his wife.

"I told him I would show him if he was good," Katie blushed.

"See, this is what happens when people butt in on other's relationships!" Brian exclaimed, "Please don't show him in here!"

Katie laughed, "Dirty, dirty Brian.  Don't worry, I won't."

"So where is it?" Anna asked.

"Don't tell us, let J find it!" Nick wiggled his eyebrows.  This elicited another blush from Katie.

***

The group rode up in the elevator together.  AJ stood at the back of the elevator leaning against the wall.  His tuxedo jacket was hanging open around Katie's shoulders to keep her warm, the top buttons of his shirt unbuttoned.  He grabbed Katie, pulling her back against him.  Her back pressed against his front, his arms wrapped around her waist.

AJ nuzzled her neck, pulling the tuxedo jacket to the side, pressing hot kisses to her neck and shoulders.

"Hey Alex, I know it can be difficult to control yourself, but you're not alone in this elevator," Kevin reminded him laughing.

AJ groaned, giving Kevin the evil eye and he stopped kissing Katie.  Katie again blushed, seeing everyone staring at her and AJ.

The elevator door finally dinged and slowly opened.  Everyone went to their rooms.  Katie reached into the pocket of AJ's jacket and pulled out the room key.  Almost before she'd pulled the key back out of the door, AJ had it open and he was pushing her in.

"Okay, we're alone, let's see it," AJ grinned.  He looked like a little kid in a candy store.

Katie smiled and sidetracked into the bathroom.

Plopping onto the bed with a sigh, AJ groaned, "Where are you going?"

"I have to pee," Katie called from the bathroom.  Really she just needed a minute to gather herself.  It's not like the tattoo was on some forbidden part of her body, but it wasn't typically visible either.  The only other guy who had seen it was Dane, and that didn't go over well.  And she was afraid that things would get carried away.  She wasn't sure she was ready for that kind of carried away yet.

Katie took the opportunity to gather herself and get into her pajamas.  She walked out of the bathroom a few minutes later in a tank top and a pair of flannel, butterfly print pajamas.  AJ popped up the second he saw her, walking over to wrap his arms around her again.

The two kissed for a few minutes before Katie pushed him away, "Not many people get to see this."

She lifted her top a little, sliding a finger in the elastic waistband of her pants by her right hip.  Sliding the pants down a few inches, Katie's tattoo was revealed.

"Beth went to get it with me a few months ago.  It means strength.  I was getting this tattoo and then I was going to take all of my strength and get away from Dane," Katie explained.  The small tattoo on her hip was the Chinese symbol for strength, holding a lot of meaning for Katie.

"You are a very strong woman Katherine Faith Sullivan."

Katie laid back in the bed, watching AJ strip out of his tuxedo into a pair of flannel pants for pajamas.  He'd been sleeping on the couch again since Katie had arrived, even though Katie had protested.

"Will you please sleep in the bed tonight?" Katie asked.  She pulled the blanket up on one side of the bed, inviting him in with her.

Slowly AJ climbed into the bed next to Katie.  He pulled her close to him, his arms wrapped around her and she leaned against him.  Her head rested against his chest and she listened to his heart, felt his chest rise and fall with each breath.

Pressing a soft kiss against his chest, Katie whispered so softly she barely heard herself, "I love you."