- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
After much deliberation, names have finally been chosen.  Alex didn't make things easy, but we got their.  Enjoy the new chapter!
 

~June 29, 2003~

"These babies are going to be born nameless!" Katie cried.  She was flipping through a baby name book for the millionth time.

Katie threw the book down on the coffee table and adjusted herself, attempting to get comfortable.  AJ picked up the book and sat down in a chair across from her.

"That's not true, hon," Kristin consoled her friend, then she turned to glare at AJ, "You two will agree on something."

"What are you looking at me like that for?" AJ protested, "She rejects just as many of my suggestions!"

"That's because I am not naming my babies like a pimp and a stripper!"

"A pimp and a stripper?" AJ scoffed, "What are you talking about?"

"Barbi," Katie simply replied, staring AJ down.

"Like the doll?" Kristin laughed.

"Like a stripper," Katie insisted.

"Okay, I was completely joking about that!" AJ said as he flipped the baby book open and randomly pointed, "How about Baxter?"

"Sounds like a dog's name."

AJ grinned, "Here we go.  This will be good.  How about...Beaver."

"Beaver?" Katie glared at him again.

AJ burst into hysterical laughter and Katie threw her pen at him.

"Sorry.  I thought it was funny," AJ mumbled.  He flipped to another page and randomly pointed, "Daria."

"There's a MTV cartoon character Daria.  No."

"Kermit."

"The frog."

"Alec."

"Baldwin."

"Tatiana."

"Ali."

"Carlton."

"Banks."

"Who is Carlton Banks?" Kristin questioned.

"From The Fresh Prince.  Do you not watch tv?" Katie responded as if Kristin's question was completely stupid.

"See?" AJ turned to Kristin.

"You were just randomly choosing names from that book.  What are the chances that you actually like any of those names?"

AJ sighed, "Fine.  You're right."

"See, that's the problem, you're not taking this seriously," Katie said.

"You still have time," Kristin assured her, "You just need to get serious about this."

"So how do you propose we do that?" AJ asked.

"Make lists," Kristin suggested, "You both write down the names you like.  Come together and see if there are any matches, and go through the lists together choosing names you both like."

AJ nodded, "I can do that."

"Can you be serious about it?" Katie asked.

"Babe, I can do it.  We'll have names for these babies."

Katie watched AJ as he grabbed the pen she'd thrown at him and set to work.  After a few minutes she set to work as well.

A half an hour later, Kristin was gone and they each had a list of names scribbled out.  The two exchanged lists and went to crossing off names that weren't going to happen.

"Okay, so we have a start here," AJ assured her, "Let's see..."

"Well, we have fourteen girls names and fourteen boys."

Adelaide and Aiden

Annabella and Andrew

Brooklyn and Braden

Emmalyn and Ethan

Gracie and Graham

Joslin and Jakob

Kylee and Kaleb

Makayla and Maxwell

Natalee and Noah

Payton and Parker

Sadie and Scott

Skyler and Sean

Zoe and Zachary

*****

"Fourteen names?" Beth's jaw dropped.

"No, twenty-eight names.  Fourteen sets of names," Katie corrected her, "Don't look at me like that.  You've been gone for weeks, leaving me with no best friend.  You have no right to look at me like that!"

"I can't help it Joe had family issues.  I'm sorry I left you, but I'm here now.  How exactly are you going to choose two names from this crazy list?"

Katie rolled her eyes at her best friend, "Like I flippin' know.  I'm just happy we were able to agree on any names at all right now."

Beth studied the list, "Can I make a few suggestions?"

Katie slowly nodded.

"Well, even though Zoe is cute, it reminds me of the Sesame Street character.  I also think Rylee and Ryder are too close.  Oh, one more...do you know how many little girls are out there with some version of Emma?"

"I'll take that into consideration," Katie responded, promptly crossing the three pairs off of her list.

"Just trying to help.  You have any favorite sets in particular?"

Katie nodded, "Adelaide and Aiden, Joslin and Jakob, and Makayla and Maxwell."

"See, those are all really cute.  Does your fiancé know those are your favorites?"

Katie shook her head no.

"Which are your favorites?" AJ asked as he walked into the room.

When Katie didn't answer, Beth spoke up for her, "Adelaide and Aiden, Joslin and Jakob, and Makayla and Maxwell.  You guys still have like...what, ten weeks left?"

"It's eleven weeks and two days," Katie corrected.

"And you have it down to the day?"

"When you're this huge, and stuck in bed-"

"Or on the couch," Beth interjected.

"Or on the couch, you start counting the days."

AJ kissed Katie on the head and took a seat in the chair next to the couch.  He pulled her feet into his lap and began massaging.

"I'm next," Beth wiggled her toes, giggling.

AJ laughed, "Why didn't you tell me those were your favorites?"

Katie shrugged, "I dunno.  I guess I was still thinking."

"I really like those three.  They all fit with the middle names, too."

"What middle names?"

"Faith and James."

Katie smiled widely.  She had mentioned to him early on that she though it would be cool to give the babies their middle names.  She was surprised he'd remembered.

"You didn't think I remembered, did you?"

Katie shook her head.

"They do work," Beth said, "They flow well."

"So we've narrowed down our list?" AJ asked.

"I don't want to narrow it down to those if you don't like them as much."

"I already have my favorites, and it just so happens they're on your list."

"So what are they?"

AJ grinned, knowing that they'd just decided on their babies names, "They're..."
Chapter End Notes:
I said they chose names, not that you were going to find them out!  I'm mean, I know.  Sorry.  You'll just have to wait and see.