- Text Size +
 

~July 10, 2008~

"Ooh, c'mere, you can feel one of them kicking," Katie grinned, motioning the girls over to her belly.

Kristin rushed over and put her hand out allowing Katie to direct it to the spot the baby was kicking.

"Wow, that is so amazing," Kristin looked up at Katie.

"So Brian told me you guys chose names?" Leighanne cocked her head, hoping for the details.

"How did he know?  Alex wasn't supposed to say anything," Katie took Leighanne's hand now and pressed it to the kicking.

"He didn't tell the guys what they were, just told them that you guys agreed on something.  Now they're all going crazy trying to get it out of him."

Katie grinned, picturing Nick, Brian, Howie and Kevin beating AJ up over baby names.  That man loved to torture himself.

"Well...I'm not telling either.  You'll find out when the babies are born."

Leighanne pouted, and Katie just grinned.

"Hey, you have to see this," Katie said, changing the subject, "Someone go get the flashlight in the spare room down here."

"Flashlight?" Kristin asked as Leighanne got up and went in search of the flashlight.

Katie just nodded.

"Care to explain?" Leighanne returned with the flashlight.

"Just watch," Katie grabbed the flashlight and clicked it on.  Holding it up against her belly, she silently waited.

"Umm...what are you doing?"

"Just wait," Katie insisted, "Watch."

A few seconds later they saw it.

"Omigod...what is that?" Leighanne's jaw dropped open.

"A foot...or an elbow or knee or something," Katie replied, moving the flashlight around a little, "I read it in the pregnancy book.  The babies can see the light, they're, like, playing with it."

The girls could see little limbs just barely poking out as the babies batted at the light invading their space.

"Alex thought it was the coolest thing.  I swear he played with the flashlight for close to an hour."

"He tortured those poor babies for an hour?" Kristin laughed.

"No.  He tried.  The babies gave it up and went back to sleep," Katie laughed.  She clicked off the flashlight and set it on the coffee table in front of her.

"So, are you ready?" Kristin asked.

"Ha!" Katie began laughing, "Would you be ready for two babies?"

"Oh whatever, you're going to be a great mother," Kristin assured her.

"And Alex will be great, too," Leighanne added, "You should hear the way he talks about those babies.  He's so excited."

"Really?" Katie hadn't realized how excited he really was, "I guess he tones it down at home."

"He's always touching your belly when you two are together.  It's sickeningly cute."

"Yeah...I guess I can see the excitement.  He sings to them every night," Katie smiled.

"See?  He's going to be so good with those babies," Kristin said.

"I can't keep calling them ‘those babies'," Leighanne begged, "They need names."

"They have names.  I'm just not telling," Katie grinned evilly.

Leighanne glared at her playfully.

"I know you guys won't say anything on purpose, but what it someone hears?  We don't want their names out there yet."

"That's understandable," Leighanne admitted, "Have you guys been asked about pictures?"

Katie nodded, "Alex said we get offers daily."

"Have you decided what you'll do?"

"Not officially.  We haven't accepted anything.  We want their lives to be private, their just babies, but we know that people will be curious..."

"Especially after that stupid tabloid article," Kristin muttered.

"Yeah, people are going to wonder if they're really deformed," Katie laughed dryly.  She didn't really find it funny, she just didn't know what else to do.

"So you'll put out pictures?"

"We're going to do something.  Alex talked about an exclusive with one magazine, and interview and photo shoot.  When I'm up to it though," Katie said.  She wasn't stupid, she knew she was going to be damn exhausted with two newborns.

"How do you feel about that?"

"I think it'll be good.  We've also talked about posting a few photos up the fanclub site.  I don't know yet."

"Yeah.  Just take it as it comes.  See how you feel about it all when they're actually here," Leighanne summed it up.

*****

"Oh my GOD!  I can't sit here anymore!" Katie yelled.

AJ came running into the room in a panic, "What's wrong?  Are you okay?  Are the babies okay?  What happened?"

Katie took a deep breath, "I just can't sit here anymore."

Tears sprang to Katie's eyes and she tried to push them back.  AJ rushed over to her side, his hand rubbing small circles over her belly.

"I'm sorry babe."

"I just...I've been here for over six weeks.  I can't keep sitting here like this.  I feel completely useless!"

"You're not useless," he tried to assure her, "You're keeping our babies safe.  The longer those babies stay in there, the healthier they will be when they get here."

"But you've been doing everything around here!" Katie let the tears fall down her cheeks.

"First of all, the guys have been helping-"

Katie cut him off, "And they shouldn't have to be!"

"They're doing it because they want to, babe.  They love you.  They only want you and those babies to be okay.  And if that means them coming over here, or the girls helping out with a little cooking or cleaning...they're happy to do it."

"But it's not their job!  I should be doing it!" Katie continued to cry, getting more and more hysterical by the second.

AJ didn't know what to do.  He tried to remind himself that it was just her hormones out of whack, but she'd never gotten herself this upset before.

"I...babe...they just...do you want me to call one of the girls?" AJ suggested.  He wasn't sure what to do to get her to calm down.

Katie shook her head no, sniffling.  AJ got up to get Katie a tissue, whipping his cell phone out in the process.

He quickly dialed Kevin's phone number, hoping he would have a suggestion.

"What's up Aje?" Kevin answered on the third ring.

"Katie.  I don't know what to do," AJ started.

"Is she okay?  Did she go into labor?" Kevin began to panic.

"No, no.  Sorry.  She's not in labor.  She's okay...aside from the hysterical crying."

Kevin laughed, "What did you say to her?"

"This one wasn't my fault!" AJ cried.  He was on the verge of tears too.  He had no idea to calm his hysterical fiancé.

"Well where is she?"

"She's in the living room.  I left her to get her some tissues."

"Why'd she start crying in the first place?"

"I don't know, something about being useless..."

"Did you tell her she wasn't useless?"

"Of course I did!" AJ yelled, "She says she's useless because she's sitting there on the couch while you guys come over and do stuff she should be doing."

Kevin sighed, "Let me talk to her."

AJ walked back into the living room, "Babe?  Kevin wants to say hi."

Katie reluctantly took the cell phone and put it to her ear, "Hello?"

"How are you feeling?" he gently asked her.

"I'm f-fine," Katie sniffled.

"You know the girls love you, right?"

"Yeah."

"And so do we?"

"Yeah."

"That's why we're helping you.  We know you would do the same thing for us if we needed it."

Katie nodded, wiping the tears away, "I know."

"Good.  So no more tears over it, right?"

"Right," Katie agreed.

"Okay.  You rest then.  I'll see you tomorrow."

Katie nodded and handed the phone back to AJ.

"Everything okay now?" Kevin asked AJ.

"Yeah.  Thanks man.  I just..."

"I know.  That's what I'm here for," Kevin smiled, "We'll see you guys tomorrow."