- Text Size +
 

~July 31, 2003~

"Shoes, where are your shoes," AJ mumbled to himself as he rushed around the house.

"My flip-flops, babe, my feet won't fit in anything else," Katie called from the couch.  She'd already attempted getting up to get her shoes, but she'd been immediately scolded.

"Ha!  Found them!" AJ cried and rushed back into the living room.  He slipped the sandals onto her feet and helped her stand.

The couple was preparing for what was probably their final ultrasound.  The doctor would check to make sure that everything was still looking well, that the babies still looked okay, and that, most importantly, they were in the correct positions for birth.

AJ helped Katie maneuver through the house and out to the garage.  Once she was safely in the passenger seat, he went around and got in the driver's seat.

*****

"Katherine Sullivan?" the nurse called out her name.

AJ helped Katie stand up from the uncomfortable waiting room chair and followed her through the door to an examination room.  The nurse weighed Katie and took a few measurements, scribbling them all onto the chart.

"The doctor will be in shortly," she smiled and left the room.

Katie lay back on the examination table, AJ holding her hand.  She thought back to the day they found out it was twins.  That ultrasound seemed so long ago.  They were almost to the finish line and Katie couldn't help but be a little sad.

"Babe, why the tears?" AJ looked at her concerned.

"You were holding my hand like this at our first ultrasound," Katie sighed.

"Wow, that seems like forever ago," AJ thought for a few minutes.  They'd thought the doctor was joking, and now here they were, weeks away from the birth of their twins.

"Knock, knock," the doctor walked in the room, "Almost there Katie.  Are we ready?"

Katie tried to force a smile, "Ready as we'll ever be."

"Let's see here...thirty-three weeks.  Still a bit early, so we're going to keep you on bed rest a bit longer.  No need risking anything."

Katie nodded and the doctor began the examination.

"You are dilated, but no contractions, right?"

Katie shook her head, "Nothing really.  Periodic ones here and there."

"Good, good.  Dilation is normal, nothing to be worried about at this point.  We're going to check their positions to see what we can expect with delivery.  We're looking for two vertex babies, but one breech and one vertex will be okay as well..."

"Umm, English please?" AJ stopped the doctor.

"Didn't you read the pregnancy book?" Katie scolded him.
"I read it, doesn't mean it made sense.  I suppose you know what doc is talking about then?"

Katie blushed.

"See?  So what's this vertex and breech business?"

The doctor smiled, "Vertex is when the baby is head down.  That's what we want.  Breech is when the baby is feet down, and it's not as safe or comfortable delivering a breech baby."

"Okay, so we want two head down babies?" AJ tried to clarify.

The doctor nodded, "That's would be ideal, though if Baby A were head down, and Baby B were feet down, we could work with that as well.  Baby B can be turned if he is breech after Baby A is born."

"So what happens if they are both breech?" AJ asked, slightly concerned.

"I have to have a cesarean," Katie groaned.

"Well let's just see what those babies are doing in there before we get upset over anything," the doctor said.

Katie lifted her shirt and prepared for the cold goop.  The doctor flipped the ultrasound machine on and began running the probe over her belly.

"Baby A...she has strong heartbeat, looks good.  She appears to be in the vertex position."

Katie let out a breath she hadn't realized she'd been holding.  This was definitely good news.  It didn't much matter what their son was doing because their daughter was cooperating.

"Baby B...his heartbeat is strong as well.  He looks very good.  He, however, looks like he's in the breech position."

"But that will be okay, right?"

The doctor nodded, "We can turn him around after Baby A is born and it shouldn't be a problem."

*****

"So the seamonkeys are ready to come out?" Nick asked.

Katie shook her head and took a bite of her sandwich.  Everyone was sitting around the living room having a peaceful lunch.

"Sort of.  They're in good positions, but it's still a little early.  The doctor said we want to make it at least another few weeks," Katie clarified.

"Oh, so I still have to wait to see my seamonkeys?"

"First of all, they are my seamonkeys," AJ glared at Nick.

"That's what you think," Nick wiggled his eyebrows at Katie and she burst into hysterical laughter.

"I'm sorry Nick, but that was just too funny!" Katie said when she'd calmed down enough to speak.

Nick pouted, "Fine, your seamonkeys."

"Would you stop calling them seamonkeys?" Katie begged.

"If we had names to call them it would help," Leighanne added.

"Nice try.  You will find out when they are born," Katie insisted.

The group sat silently for a few minutes, everyone concentrating on their food.

"I give the seamonkeys three weeks before they're here," Nick announced.

"So we're betting on when I give birth now?"

"Why not?" Nick asked, "Who else cares to wager a guess?"

"Wager a guess?  Have you been reading the dictionary Nick?" AJ laughed.

Nick threw a French fry at him and everyone laughed.

"I say she'll make it all the way...seven weeks," Howie announced.

"Yeah, not on this planet.  I'm not doing a whole seven more weeks of bed rest.  These babies are coming out the second the doctor says they can."

"I give it four weeks," Kevin chimed in, and Brian agreed.

"The second the doctor says it's okay..." Katie reiterated.