- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
The moment you've all been waiting for.  Enjoy!
 

~August 19, 2003~

"What's up?" AJ flipped open his phone without looking at the caller identification screen.

The Boys were in the studio, making any final adjustments that they needed to make to the album before it was released.

"Alex..." Katie said, her voice a little tense.

"Babe?" AJ perked up, focusing his attention completely on the phone call. He sat up straight in his chair, concerned by the tone of her voice, "What's wrong?"

"I think...it's time...my water...babies," Katie whimpered, trying to get through a contraction.

"What?" AJ was confused.  He didn't understand the message she was trying to get across.

Katie let out a breath, relaxing as the contraction passed, "Our babies are ready to join us."

"Oh wow," AJ exhaled, "It's time?"

The rest of the guys looked up at AJ, each wondering if they'd heard correctly.

"I need you to come home.  We need to go to the hospital," Katie insisted.

AJ nodded, a little dazed by the shock of the situation.  He didn't move, holding the phone to his ear long after Katie hung up.

"What's going on?" Howie finally asked, pulling AJ back to Earth.

"It's Katie...her water broke...the babies are coming," AJ replied, still a little spaced out.

"Well go!" Kevin pushed AJ up out of his chair, "We'll clean up here and meet you at the hospital."

*****

"Fiancé...water...contractions...twins," AJ said, out of breath from rushing into the hospital labor and delivery ward.

The nurse behind the counter laughed, watching Katie waddle in the doors far behind AJ, "First time dad?"

AJ nodded quickly, trying to catch his breath.  He was slightly agitated that she was laughing at him.

Katie finally made it to the check-in desk and the nurse turned to her, "Contractions?"

Katie nodded, "Six minutes I think.  I was three centimeters at my appointment last week.  My doctor said it could happen any time."

"Have you called your doctor to meet you here?"

Katie nodded as she was helped into a wheelchair.  Another nurse wheeled her down the hall to a private room, AJ following close behind.  She changed into her hospital gown and got into the bed.  AJ sat next to her, holding her hand as the nurse administered Katie's IV and hooked her up to fetal monitors.

An hour later, AJ and Katie were sitting alone in the hospital room, the paperwork all filled out, and their doctor was on the way.

"Babe, it's okay," Katie rubbed AJ's arm gently, "You can relax."

"I'm sorry babe.  I should be telling you to relax.  I'm just waiting for...something..."

"Like what?" Katie raised her eyebrows.

"I don't know.  I just thought it would be...more eventful."

"Oh it will be," their nurse walked in, grinning, "Sometimes early labor can be a bit boring.  Before you know it things will be happening and babies will be born.  How are you feeling Katie?"

"Oh I'm just fabulous," Katie fake smiled.

"It will all be worth it when those babies are here," the nurse assured her.

Katie nodded and watched the nurse turn to walk back out.

"Drugs!" Katie called out before the nurse was gone.  How could she forget the one thing that might make this bearable?

The nurse turned back around chuckling.

"When can I have that epidural?"

"I'll let the anesthesiologist know."

*****

"Hey hon, how are you doing?" Kristin asked as she and Leighanne walked into the hospital room.

"Oh I'm just fabulous.  I'm only huge, hot and I've been contracting for the last ten hours.  I'm just great!  How the hell do you think I'm doing?" Katie snapped.

Leighanne's eyes widened and AJ grinned.

"Better you than me," he whispered to the girls, "She's been yelling at me all night.  At least you finally got the epidural though..."

"It's your fault I'm pregnant!" Katie growled through a contraction.

"Oh no it's not.  I remember you being a very active participant in the process.  Besides, I'm not the one that didn't follow the doctor's direction and sent myself into labor," AJ argued.

"I can't help it I get bored!  I've been on that damn couch for weeks!  I was just trying to go outside!" Katie raised her voice.

Kristin and Leighanne backed out of the room slowly to let the couple argue in peace.

"I offered to help you set up somewhere else for the few hours I was gone.  You said you were fine!" AJ continued, not even realizing their company had left, "You know you're not supposed to be moving around like that!"

"Well I changed my mind, so sue me!"

"You know, we can hear you two down the hall in the waiting room?" Kevin walked into the hospital room.  The Boys had been informed that the two were arguing and Kevin, ever the responsible one, went to make them stop.

Katie jumped at the sound of Kevin's voice, slightly startled.

"Really?" She asked embarrassed.

Kevin shook his head, "No, but you are loud.  What's with the yelling?  Aren't you supposed to bring babies into a peaceful environment?"

"Alex is being a jerk."

"Yeah, it's all my fault.  It's my fault she's pregnant, and it's my fault she's in labor," AJ added sarcastically.

Kevin rolled his eyes in amusement, "You two..."

The doctor came in then, sending the three into silence, "Hello there Katie.  Just came to check in on things."

She turned to Kevin, signaling him to exit the room so Katie could be checked.

"Alex, can I speak to you in the hall?" Kevin muttered, dragging AJ out to the hall with him.

"What?" AJ growled.

"Arguing with your pregnant fiancé?  While she's in labor?  With your twins!  Are you trying to get divorced before you two are even married?"

AJ sighed, "I'm just freaking out.  I don't mean to argue with her, I just..."

"I know Aje, but you just have to chill out.  Deep breaths.  It's all going to be fine.  We'll all be here for you, you know that.  You're going to have two beautiful babies."

"Yes you are Alex," the doctor poked her head out through the hospital room door, "Katie is ready to go."

"Ready?" AJ asked.  He wasn't ready, how the hell could she be ready?

"She's ready to push."

"Congratulations man," Kevin pulled AJ into a hug, "The next time we see you, you'll be a dad!"

Kevin gave AJ a reassuring smile and turned to walk back to the waiting room with the rest of the group.

*****

Everyone stood up when they saw AJ coming down the hall.  A huge smile was plastered on his face.

"Are they here?" Kristin excitedly asked.

AJ nodded, "They're here!  They're perfect!"

Everyone took their turns to say congratulations and give AJ a hug.  Then they waited patiently for more details.

"So...how are they?" Howie finally spoke up.

"They're amazing!  The doctor said that they are perfectly healthy.  She was born at twelve twenty-five, four pounds ten ounces, eighteen inches.  He made his entrance eight minutes later.  He was five pounds even, twenty inches," AJ rattled off the stats he'd memorized before leaving to make the announcement.

"Those are some tiny sea monkeys!" Nick grinned and everyone chuckled.

"Can we have some names now?" Leighanne begged, "So Nick can stop calling them sea monkeys."

"Katie had wanted to introduce you to them, but she's so exhausted...Joslin Faith and Jakob James," AJ grinned proudly.

"Alex those are beautiful names!" Kristin exclaimed.

"Do you get to stay with them?" Brian questioned.

AJ nodded, "We asked that they not be taken to the nursery.  We wanted to keep them right there with us while we're here."

"That's awesome Alex," Nick clapped AJ on the shoulder.

"I'm sure you're exhausted," Kevin added, "You should get back to your fiancé and babies.  We'll come back tomorrow afternoon to visit if Katie is up for it?"

AJ nodded, "I think she'll like that."

Everyone exchanged excited hugs before parting ways.  AJ walked quickly back to the hospital room where his fiancé and babies were waiting.  AJ was damn proud and beyond excited to spend his first night as a dad.