- Text Size +
 

~September 15, 2003~

Katie laid Jakob in the swing that stood next to the one Joslin was already in.  She flipped the little switch, setting the swing into motion.  Katie stood in the dining room in front of the twins, watching them for a few minutes before turning to go into the kitchen.  She could hear AJ down the short hallway, probably in the living room, talking to someone on the phone.

"Yeah it's great...she's like a completely different person...no, we still have our days...yeah, that's what the doctor said, but she talks to me about it now...I know!  They're growing so fast..."

Katie smiled to herself as she went over to the fridge.  She and AJ had finally gotten into the swing of things.  They still had their problems.  Rather, Katie still had her problems.  And tears were often shed-both from the babies and Katie-but they worked through it.

Katie reached into the fridge and pulled out the orange juice.  She'd have just enough time to have a quick lunch and shower before it was feeding time again.  She set the juice on the counter and went to the cabinet that held the glasses.  She set the glass she'd pulled out of the cabinet on the counter next to the juice and filled it.  When she turned back around, juice container in hand, to put the juice back into the fridge, she knocked the full glass over.  The glass fell to the floor, almost in slow motion.  Juice and shattered glass went flying across the floor.  The crashing sound sent the twins into hysterical tears.  Katie, completely shocked, let the juice container slip from her fingers and began to cry as well.

AJ dropped the phone, not even bothering to say anything to the person on the other line, and rushed into the kitchen/dining room, "What happened?"

"I...it slipped...juice everywhere..." Katie cried, still unsure of what happened.  She leaned against the counter and slouched down in, curling herself into a ball.

"Babe, it's okay," AJ tried to soothe her.

The noise level was a bit too high and it was throwing everyone off.  AJ reached over to help Katie up.  He wanted her out of the room, then he would go settle the babies.  He helped her step over the broken glass and sticky juice and ushered her out of the room.

"You go clean up.  Take a shower, change your clothes...whatever.  I'll take care of this."

"But the babies...and lunch..." Katie continued to cry.

"I'll take care of it.  Go," AJ insisted.

Katie sniffled back her tears and reluctantly turned to go up the stairs.  Minutes later the twins' crying stopped.  Katie, however, continued to cry.

"If I can't even pour a glass of juice..." Katie quietly berated herself, "...I'll never be a good mother."
She spent the entire time in the shower crying to herself.  The tears finally subsided as she got dressed.  By the time she got back downstairs again, everything was fine.

"All cleaned up?" AJ looked over at her from the dining room table.

He sat in the chair nearest the twins' swings, looking over some papers.

"Yeah.  Thanks for taking care of things," Katie walked over to the babies to re-adjust Joslin, then sat down next to AJ.

AJ pushed the papers aside and reached out to take hold of Katie's hands.  They sat in silence looking at each other for a few seconds before one of the babies made a sound that broke them out of their daze.  One of the babies had cooed, but neither AJ or Katie was sure which one.  It was the first time they had heard a sound outside of crying from either of the babies.

"I'm going to hate leaving them...and you," AJ sighed.

He'd been wanting to bring it up for the last week, but he wasn't sure how.  AJ was afraid of making Katie cry again.

"Oh yeah...I forgot that you guys are going on tour..." Katie sighed.

She'd been so preoccupied with working things out with the babies, and AJ, that she'd forgotten he had a job to do.

"It'll be okay though.  The girls will be here.  One of them even offered to stay here with you and the babies.  I think it was Leigh...I told her that she'd have to talk to you."

"Just when I get things worked out with you...I'm going to have to re-learn everything, by myself."

"I know babe.  I don't want to go any more than you want me to go.  I'm going to miss a lot.  I was thinking though..."

"Katie looked up at him questioningly.

"What if we set a wedding date?"

Katie's eyes lit up, "What were you thinking?"

"How does August twentieth sound?"

Katie slowly nodded, "Umm...any particular reason for that day?"

"I can't believe I remember, and you don't.  You're the girl, you're supposed to remember this shit."

"Hey, I've got a lot going on in my head.  Help me out here."

"Two years to the day we met."

Katie's eyes welled up, "Wow, I can't believe it's been that long."

"It hasn't been yet."

Katie grinned, "I never would have expected my favorite Backstreet Boy to wake me up that hot summer morning a year and a half ago."

"Yeah, and you told me to go away!" AJ laughed at the memory.

"And to think, if I wasn't best friends with Beth-"

"Who is Nick's crazy cousin," AJ interjected.

"Yes, yes, I was getting there.  If I wasn't best friends with Nick's crazy cousin...we wouldn't be sitting here right now setting a wedding date."

"And these two gorgeous babies wouldn't be here."

Katie smiled, so happy with where he life had taken her.  It wasn't all easy, but Katie liked it that way.  The little bumps made life interesting, and that much more worth living.

*****

"Katie, you look exhausted!" Beth pointed out.

"Gee thanks Beth.  I'm sure you'd look like this, too, if you were taking care of two newborns while trying to clean a house for company," Katie growled.

"Where's that fiance of yours?" Beth questioned, picking up dirty bottles and pacifiers.

"He's with the guys.  Their rehearsals stepped up because they are leaving in like a week.  I'm trying to get used to this being on my own thing.  I need to figure out if I can do it or if I need help."

"Well you've got help for today.  I called in the reinforcements," Beth grinned, "Why exactly are you having a dinner party over here tonight?"

"I can't tell you that."

"Because you don't know, or because you have a surprise for everyone?"

"I plead the fifth," Katie called over her shoulder from the laundry room.

Katie emerged a few minutes later with a pile of clean laundry.  She dropped it onto the couch and began folding.

"You're not pregnant again are you?"

The doorbell rang before Katie could respond.  Beth squinted at Katie, but went to answer the door.

"Ahh, reinforcements," Beth led Leighanne and Kristin into the living room.

"Well hello there.  You look a little like our friend Katie, only her hair is typically brushed...and she doesn't look nearly as tired as you," Kristin joked.

"Don't go there," Beth warned, "Our Katie look alike was just about to tell me whether or not she was pregnant again."

Kristin and Leighanne's jaws both dropped.

"I'm not!" Katie yelled, startling the babies, "Now see what you've done?"

Leighanne went over to help Katie calm the babies while Kristin took over the laundry folding.

"If you're not pregnant again, why on earth are you having everyone over for dinner?" Beth asked again.

"I already told you, I'm not telling."

"Fine," Beth pouted, "Here's the deal.  You're going to go lay down for a while.  Then you can take a shower, brush your hair, put on some clean clothes...you get the idea?"

Katie made a face at Beth, "I have to clean up at least a little."

"That's what we're here for," Leighanne stated.

"Fine.  Still isn't happening.  I have two little humans to take care of," Katie pointed out the twins.

"Give me Joslin.  You have breastmilk in the fridge, don't you?" Beth took the infant from Katie's arms.

Katie nodded, knowing that she was out of luck on her protesting.  She could use a nap.  And her hair hadn't been brushed in...she couldn't remember how long it was now.  What day was it?

"Fine.  But if things get out of hand you wake me up."

Katie reluctantly went up the stairs and to her room.  She fell asleep almost before her head hit the pillow.  And when she'd emerged two hours later, she was rested up, clean, and presentable.

The twins were sleeping in their infant seats off to the side.  The table was set and Katie could smell dinner.  The laundry had all been folded and put away and any dishes or bottles had been put in the dishwasher.  The girls were all cleaned up and ready to go.  All the house was missing was the guys.

"Wow you guys!  This place looks amazing!  Are you sure we're still at my house?"

Everyone laughed.

"I don't know how you do that by yourself," Leighanne gestured towards the sleeping babies.

"I don't always.  Alex is right there when he's home.  It's totally going to suck when the guys leave."

Kristin nodded.

"Did he say anything to you about my offer?" Leighanne looked up at her.

Katie nodded, "Yeah.  I was trying to figure out if I could do it on my own.  I don't want to put you out though.  You don't have anything to do?"

Leighanne shook her head, "Brian's going, too.  I'll be all alone.  It would be fun to help you out here."

"You still think so after one afternoon?"

Leighanne paused for a moment, "Yeah.  It'll be good practice."

The girls settled their plans then.  Shortly after that the guys filed into the house.

"Hey babe!  Sorry we're late," AJ walked up to Katie and wrapped his arms around her, "Is this the right house?"

The girls all laughed again.

"They did everything.  They made me go lay down."

"Good.  I was afraid you'd be working yourself too hard.  Dinner smells great!"

"That's all them, too."

Everyone said their hello's and were immediately ushered into the dining room.  Dinner was wonderful, with nosound from the babies until people were finishing up.

"That never happens," AJ laughed, "No sooner than we sit down, one of them is crying."

"Can I hold one of them?" Nick asked.

AJ and Katie nodded and Nick stood up to retrieve Joslin.  Kevin followed close behind to collect Jakob.  Everyone sat comfortably around the table, happily in conversation.

AJ finally called for everyone's attention, "I'm sure everyone is wondering why we've had you all over here?"

Everyone nodded, and Beth chimed in, "I've been trying to find that out all afternoon!"

"Your wait is over, we've got an announcement!" AJ exclaimed.

"You're pregnant again?" Nick laughed.

"No!" Katie growled, "I'm not flippin' pregnant!  Just listen!"

Nick raised his eyebrows, a little surprised at her reaction, but quietly waited.

"We've decided on a wedding date," Katie finally said.

"August twentieth.  Two years to the day we met," AJ added.

Hoots and hollers, though soft ones so as not to startle the twins, filled the room.  Katie was going to have some wedding planning to do.  At least it would keep her mind off of AJ's temporary absence.