- Text Size +
Tancred doesn't know what is waiting for him on the other side of Cathal's door. It's only been two nights since the prisoners escaped, and the ashes of the one they called Phoenix had mysteriously disappeared from the balcony.

He had returned less than an hour ago, and had come straight to this room, but on the way he had heard enough to be wary. Cathal had not been pleased when he had found out that the prisoners were gone, and had even raised his voice to Kimoni and Sahirah. Those two had left only hours before he came, Sahirah to go back to whatever it was she was doing in Asia, and Kimoni with the Three, to hunt down the prisoners.

Cathal was the only one who remained, and there was not a single vampire who wanted to be anywhere near him right now. No one except him, but that was only because he had no other choice.

He takes a deep and unneeded breath, and knocks on the door. He is met with silence, before the door in front of him opens quickly, and Cathal stands there, staring him down.

"Tancred" he acknowledges, and walks back allowing him to enter the room. "Tell me you have news" he says, and looks pleased when Tancred nods.

"I've found two more fragments that seem to be connected to the One. One of which that might be more important than anything else we've found. The other, well, that one is more cryptic than anything else we've found."

He produces his notebook from his pockets, and opens it to the right page, handing it to Cathal. "That is the cryptic one, and perhaps goes together with the other one I had, the one about remembering." Cathal takes the notebook, and his eyes scan the page, reading the few lines written on it out loud.


In the time of remembrance
The seeker shall find
The long lost memory
Come home at last
Why do we fight?
Child of Avalon


Cathal finishes reading, and looks up from the book at Tancred. "Who is the Child of Avalon?" Tancred shrugs, shaking his head. "I don't know" he says.

Taking the book from Cathal he flips through the pages, finding the right one and passing the book back to Cathal. "This is the one I am most concerned about. The whole passage it belongs to seems to be about the One, and these lines in particular seems to be about someone else connected to her. Someone male, who is as far as I can tell the greatest threat to her destiny."

***************

Archangel puts down his pen, and looks at the page in front of him. Over the past century he has uncovered many pieces of the Lost Prophecies, and has deciphered most of them. For the most part they talk about events that have already passed, but there are some, a select few, that talk about the coming war and the one who is to become their Champion.

He has gathered many pieces, but one in particular seemed more important than the others. It had been the one he had shared with Aiden, the new Head of his line. Gautier's death had been a hard blow to take, but he had buried himself in his mission, refusing to let his feelings stop him from doing the last thing Gautier had asked him to do.

To uncover the secrets of the future, written so long ago. To prepare for the war that they all knew was coming, and to do his best to make sure that they would come out of it victorious.

It had taken him several decades, but eventually he had found a clue as to who their Champion was, a clue he had shared with Aiden. And Aiden had seemed shocked to read it, as if he knew who it would be the second he had read those lines.


There is but one who separate her from greatness
He of impure blood, who is destined to rule


And there, in his notebook, staring him in the eyes, were a different part of the prophecy, found so far away from the last, but clearly speaking of the same person.

Whoever this person was, these lines would tell him apart from the others. These lines marked him for what he was as clearly as anything could.

These lines were the key he had been looking for all these years.

***************

With miles separating them, two vampires from different lines and with different goals, stood in silence as their eyes scanned the lines written down in two different notebooks.

Everything about these vampires were different, except for the lines they read out loud, word for word exactly the same as it flowed from their mouths.


And thus shall you know him
His name will mark him
And change run in his veins