- Text Size +
Thiery couldn’t move. His entire body froze, his eyes fixed on Avatar, his mind unable to form a single thought. All he could see was Avatar, and the stake that was running through his entire body, through his heart. Over and over again did he see it run him through, and over and over again there was nothing he could do about it.

He didn’t know how long he had been staring at Avatar. It felt like hours, days, years. It was as if time stood still, and all there was was him and Avatar, and that stake. In the distance he thought he heard someone say his name. Then someone said his name again, and then again, and again, and then….he was falling.

“THIERY!” Avatar yelled, as he stepped backwards, pushing Thiery out of his way and slamming the door shut. On the other side the man with the crossbow yelled something, and another man ran towards them, sticking something in between the door and the wall, preventing it from closing.

Thiery still didn’t move, and Avatar yelled his name again. At the same time he grabbed one of the stakes that held the corpse to the door, and ripped it out. Turning he let the door open, and as the first Hunter came through, he ran it through his neck, pushing him backwards and closing the door. Ripping another stake out of the corpse, he ran it though the door and into the wall, locking the door temporarily.

Thiery looked at Avatar. He was moving quickly, quicker than he had ever seen him move before, and he had trouble keeping up with him. He got to his feet, as Avatar turned to look at him, pulling the stake out of his chest and dropping it to the ground.

“What…” Thiery started, but Avatar stopped him, giving him a quick kiss and a smile. “We need to get going. They’ll get through that door soon, and we need to be gone by then. Follow me.”

Avatar was walking through the room before Thiery could reply, so all he could do was follow. Not that he wanted to do anything else. Behind him he could hear the Hunters banging on the door, trying to open it.

Avatar moved quickly, and soon he was walking along the wall on the other side of the room, staring at it like he was looking for something. Then he stopped, right in front of a painting that had to be over a hundred years old. Looking back to make sure the Hunters hadn’t made it through the door yet, he ran his hand down the side of the painting. Then it stopped, and a smile appeared on his face as he stepped back. A few seconds later, the painting swung open, and revealed a hidden tunnel.

“How the others got out” he said, as Thiery looked at him with a raised eyebrow. “It’s been there for ages. No one knows about it but a selected few. Well, that’s how it used to be anyways. Come on.”

Just as he finished, they could hear the door breaking open at the other side of the room. “Hurry” Avatar said, and all but pushed Thiery into the tunnel. Again he pressed at the side of the picture, and it started to close.

Avatar didn’t wait for the picture to cover the tunnel completely again before he started to move, leading Thiery through the tunnel at a run. Soon the tunnel divided into two tunnels, which then became three, and then four. After a while Thiery couldn’t keep track on which way they went, and sometimes it felt like they were going in circles, and that the tunnels would never end.

Then suddenly the tunnel in front of them became a solid stone wall. A dead end. He looked at Avatar, but could not read anything on the vampires face. Nothing that could tell him if Avatar was lost or not. If they were supposed to be at a dead end, or if they had taken a wrong turn somewhere. Avatar just stood there, looking at the wall for what seemed like hours.

“Are we lost?” Thiery inquired, as he walked to stand right in front of Avatar, looking straight into the older vampires eyes. At first Avatar seemed like he was ignoring him, his eyes focused somewhere on the stone wall. Then his eyes shifted, and he looked straight into Thierys eyes and smiled.

“No, my dear Thiery. We are not lost. We’re right where we’re supposed to be.” Then he gave Thiery a quick kiss, and walked past him over to the wall. His eyes once more focused on the wall. Then, suddenly, without Avatar even touching it, a part of the wall started to move, and a small passage appeared.

“They’re in” Avatar said with a smile, and held out his hand for Thiery to take. He took it, not quite sure that Avatar was talking about. He only smiled, and let the older vampire lead him through the passage.

As soon as they passed through, he understood what Avatar had meant. On the other side they ended up in what appeared to be a hallway in a mansion. The walls were covered with wall-hangings and paintings, the floor with a thick red carpet, and it was decorated in a way that made it seem like it was taken right out of a royal palace or something.

It was not the decorations that stunned him though, but the people, the vampires. Just in the hallway he counted over ten, all staring at him and Avatar, all giving off that amazing feeling of familiarity and love. And right away he knew that he had come home, at last!

**********

She looked up from her book about Greek Mythology as he walked into the room. Cathal always wanted her undivided attention when he dropped by, though of late he had not been by as much as he used to. He was not there to see her this day though, for he walked through the room without so much as a glance at her.

She got up, and quickly decided to follow him. He was not moving fast, but he was going deeper into the mountain than she had ever been before. The hallway became darker, and for a while she walked in complete darkness. Then it opened up into a huge room, what had probably been a cave before the vampires came here.

The place was decorated like a huge dining room, with tables and chairs, couches and comfy chairs, wall-hangings and paintings. It was like a relaxation room of a sort. Cathal was in the far end, sitting in a chair with his back to her, his head buried in the book he had been carrying.

He was muttering under his breath, but she was too far away to catch anything he was saying. Moving silently through the room she came up on his right side, hidden by shadows. A couch there provided the perfect cover, and she could get close without letting him know she was there.

He was too engrossed in his book too notice her, and continued to mutter under his breath as he studied the page in front of him.

“Impossible. Just impossible. It’s not a he, but a she. We have a she. So who is he, and who shall he lead? And who is the one who will rise from the ashes? How can anyone rise from the ashes? I don’t get it. I just don’t get it…..”