- Text Size +
05:04:00:22
05:04:00:21
05:04:00:20
05:04:00:19
05:04:00:18

Brian was huddled by the TV while I paced the room. He had got the idea that if we watched the local news, we might see someone who needed rescuing that I could go save, but all we'd found out was that I couldn't see the numbers over the people on TV's heads. Cameras evidently didn't pick them up. Now he was flipping through all the action movie channels, trying to glean ideas for where to look at least. He sighed and flicked the television off, looking up at me. "This is crazy," he said, his voice defeated. "I hate this. I can't think of anything, and I feel like such a failure. I'm trying to help my best friend live and I can't think of a single thing."

"Well, it is a bit on the unconventional side," I pointed out with a sad smile.

"Yeah," Brian shrugged, "I just... I want to help save you, buddy."

I walked to the window and looked out at the people as they walked down Astoria Boulevard, their numbers all ticking along over their heads, even though they were unaware of them. I frowned at the sea of blue, and as happy as I was for them, I was disappointed not to see more red below. "Everyone's too damn healthy," I said with a sigh, "They need to like get in trouble already or something." I wandered away from the window. "Let's go somewhere," I suggested, "See if we can't find somebody somewhere who needs rescuing.

"Okay," Brian nodded, "Let's go. I'll call Leighanne." He stood up, pulling out his cell phone and followed me out the door and down the stairs into the lobby.

I wasn't sure where we were going, only that I wanted to go somewhere dangerous. Brian scurried along beside me, like a chihuahua dog trying to keep up with a Great Dane's pace. I tried to slow my steps for him, but I couldn't help but feel rushed with my time hanging over my head. I found myself glancing at it in store windows and even in puddles in the street. Every chance I got I checked it to make sure it wasn't any lower than it should be, that my time wasn't seeping away without my knowledge.

"Is it weird?" Brian asked as he pressed the pedestrian button while we were stopped at a corner. "Knowing, I mean."

I shrugged, "It's unnerving, I guess," I answered, "I feel like I have to make every second count... and mundane things seem like a colossal waste of time. Like eating, or sleeping, or even showering."

Brian smirked, "Nick, you thought showering were a colossal waste of time before, too."

"This is true," I replied with a laugh, "But it's even worse now. I may stink at my funeral. I don't suggest smelling me."

Brian's happy smile faded and his eyes clouded over. He glanced away from me, down at his toes and in the opposite direction. He sighed, "Nick, I wish you wouldn't joke about... that."

"What?" I asked, genuinely unsure what he meant.

"Dying," he answered. Brian pursed his lips and looked up at me, his blue eyes resonating with a sad look. "I... I'd rather think that... that you aren't."

"But I am," I said, my voice thick.

Brian hesitated, and by the time he went to say whatever it was he was going to say, the little computerized bird sound was going off, indicating that we could cross the street, and instead of saying it, he stepped off the curb. I followed him, hoping he'd say it once we were walking again, but he didn't. We walked onwards in silence.

After a few blocks he stopped and looked around, "So.. what exactly are we looking for?"

"Someone with red numbers," I replied, looking around myself.

Brian nodded, "Right. I can't see the numbers, Nick."

"Oh yeah," I paused, "Umm... Well, just... look for someone who needs saving, then," I answered.

We were in Times Square. Everywhere you look in Times Square there's hub-bub and hallabaloo and craziness. MTV's windows were crowded by thirteen year olds wearing Jonas Brothers t-shirts and screaming (very reminiscent of our Millennium days, I thought absently). The Fox News ticker was scrolling about the latest goings on in the world. Bright TV screens far above the streets showed advertisements and broadway play billboards cluttered the buildings. People were everywhere, their times melding together like what I'd seen earlier that morning with AJ.

Brian nudged me. "Her.. over there."

I followed Brian's gaze and.... well, the numbers weren't red, but her hair was. I felt like someone had splashed me with cold water. Her numbers actually, although not red, were very low.. considering.

01:03:12:11
01:03:12:10
01:03:12:09
01:03:12:08

A little better than a month. The numbers must turn red under a month, or maybe under a week. I wasn't sure yet which. But man what'd that matter? This chick was a knockout. If I somehow managed to live through the next five days and I was here a month from now... I sooo tottaly wanted to save her. I cleared my throat, "Let me go..uh.. check it out," I told Brian, then motioned for him to stay as I walked away.

Brian raised his eyebrow, "Are her numbers red?"

I didn't answer, afraid Brian would point out that hitting on girls whose numbers were higher than my own was of moot point. Which it was, but hey... a guy can dream. I wandered quickly towards her. "Excuse me," I said as I got closer, "I'm on tour here, I'm not usually from the area.. could you point me in the direction of the Empire State Building?" I smiled sweetly.

She stopped, looked me over and clenched her shoulder a bit tighter around her purse. "It's on Fifth," she stated, then pointed. "Go that way."

"Thanks," I paused, and she took that as a signal to continue going on her way, but I darted in front of her again. "Could you tell me a nice place to get some dinner, also?" I asked, "If it's not too much trouble?"

She sighed and stood the way models do when they reach the end of the catwalk, eyeing me. "What kind of place?"

"I dunno," I replied, "Your favorite place."

Licking her lips she replied, "Well I like a hole in the wall pizza place down by Washington Square. The NYU kids all go there and act like losers singing lame karaoke..." she eyed me, "Being a tourist, though, you'd probably perfer something like Hard Rock Cafe. There's a waiter there that can sing the whole menu... he memorized it cover to cover, and sings it to any tune you'd like. I'd suggest asking him to do it to the tune of the Beatles' song 'Love Me Do'."

I nodded, thinking, "Well.. Say I was to go to this pizza place... Would there be good odds of meeting someone there?" I asked.

A smile spread on her face and she shook her head, "Oh God. Why do the losers always pick me?" she asked, looking up towards the sky. She sighed and pinched the top of the bridge of her nose. "Maybe," she replied, "You're kind of cute, I guess. Definitely a loser, but kind of cute."

I smiled, "Hey I'll take cute."

"It's called Romano's," she said.

"Romano's?" I imitated Robert, "Evvvvvvverybody loves Raymond."

She laughed, and looked down, a smile spreading over her face. "Yeah, like Raymond."

"Maybe I'll see you there then, on...." I said, letting my voice drop off, asking for a day.

Her eyes sparkled, "Thursday."

"Thursday," I confirmed. I winked. "And..say I were to greet you, you know, by name... What would I call you?"

She laughed, "You can call me... Mystery Lady. And what might I call you?"

I shook my head, "Nick. You can call me Nick."

Mystery Lady nodded, "Well okay then, Nick... Maybe I'll see you at Romano's... Maybe I won't." And with that, she turned and began walking away, knowing I was watching her go. I waited until she had disappeared among the crowd before running back over to where Brian was standing.

"Let me guess," he said, "You have a date."

I laughed, "Sort of." Brian rolled his eyes.

05:03:48:47
05:03:48:46
05:03:48:45
05:03:48:44