- Text Size +

November 25th, 1970

“I now pronounce you Mr. and Mrs. William Redford. You may now kiss the bride.”

Debra smiled as her husband, Dr. William Redford, turned to stare back at her. Hesitantly, he lifted up her embroidered veil and placed it on top of her head. Taking one last glance at his now gorgeous wife, he leaned in and gave her the most sensualist kiss, which seemed to never end. As they continued to kiss, the crowd began to clap and cheer for the two newlyweds.

“I love you so much.” Debra whispered against his lips.

William smiled, “Not as much as I love you.” he said before he captured her lips in yet another kiss.

~*~*~*~

“Keep your eyes closed now honey.” William said with a big smile as he lead his wife up a small set of stairs.

“I am.” Debra replied back, laughing. “You better a keep an eye on my dress now and make sure it’s not getting dirty.”

“Don’t worry baby, I’ll take care of that real soon.” He said as he turned back to a panel that had a keypad and a scan screen on it.

He pressed a series of numbers and had placed his hand on the scan screen, allowing the machine to scan and read his handprint. The door soon retracted, and he turned back to his wife, who was standing there with her eyes still closed. He went behind her and had scooped her up in his arms, carrying her into the room.

“Will!” she exclaimed as she felt herself being lifted up off the ground and carried into wherever they were going.

“I’ve got you baby, just keep your eyes closed.” he walked further into the room and had placed her down in the center of it. “Okay, now open your eyes.”

Smiling all the while, Debra finally fluttered her eyes open, letting her eyes adjust and realize where they were. “We’re spending our honeymoon… in your laboratory?”

“You don’t like it?” He asked with a fake pout.

She could only laugh as she slowly sauntered up to him, “Of course I don’t like it…” she took a long pause to watch the hurt cross his features, which only made her laugh. “I love it. I love being anywhere, as long as I’m with my husband.” she ended with a kiss.

“Then you’ll definitely love what I got to show you. Come with me.” he said as he led her by the hand.

“Is this another one of your inventions?” she laughed as she followed her husband through the laboratory.

He didn’t respond to her. He only brought her over to what looked to be a bed from a hospital, which had a medical tray situated next to it. On the tray were different colored vials and a single syringe.

“What is this?” she asked as she let her fingers touch the tray.

“This…” he said as he grabbed the syringe, “is the answer to all our problems.”

“We just got married and we already have problems that I don’t know about?” she asked with a small laugh.

“Baby,” he said in all seriousness, placing the syringe back down on the tray. “Remember when we first met, I was nothing but geeky science major and you were this beautiful, hot psychologist major?” When she nodded, he continued. “Well, remember when I shared with you my dream… of being able to concoct a chemical that would generate super humans to help end all wars and finally bring this world at peace? Well, I finally found the answer.”

Debra stared at her husband, remembering how everyone thought he was crazy for even having that idea in his head. Everyone knew it was impossible, but she never said anything because she didn’t want to hurt his feelings. “Baby, how do you know that is the answer?”

“I know it because I tried it and it actually works!”

“You’ve tried it huh? May I ask what you’ve tried it on?”

“An animal.”

“Of course… animal trials. But you do know that humans and animals are two completely different species right?”

“Not just any animal Debra… the animal us scientists believe humans derived from.”

“A monkey?”

“A chimpanzee to be exact. I gave the chimp a dose of this chemical and it adapted to it rather quickly. The progress and results were amazing. Would you like to see it?”

Deep inside Debra knew that this couldn’t be true, this was all impossible, but she wanted to see if her husband had really done it. “Okay.”

He brought her over to this cage that was encased by Plexiglas. As she got a closer inspection, she noticed that she saw nothing but green shrubs and banana peels. “Baby, I don’t see anything.”

“You gotta look harder. It’s using it’s power right now.”

As she looked closer, she realized that the monkey, the chimpanzee, was actually camouflaging itself within the trees. She finally saw it move and it had jumped down from the tree, becoming a normal, visible chimp again. She watched in fascination as the chimp made it’s way to a banana that was on the ground. Debra found herself slowly walking up to the cage, placing her hand on the Plexiglas. The chimp immediately looked up at Debra and suddenly disappeared.

She gasped, “Whe… where did he go?”

“It’s all apart of his disappearing act. He’s still there, right in front of you, he just made himself invisible. When I injected this monkey with the chemical, I noticed that he adapted an elemental power as well as a mental power.”

“Ho… how did you manage to do that?” Debra asked as she still stared at the cage, wondering what the chimp was doing now.

“I was able to extract atoms from the different elements and was able to create a chemical where the powers of each element could be transferred into a human and controlled by that human. This chimpanzee has the elemental power of earth.”

“What do you mean this chimpanzee… you have more?”

“Five to be exact… five chimps took on the five different elemental powers; earth, wind, water, fire and metal.”

“So… what about the mental powers?”

“I’m really not sure where it all came from, but I’m convinced that it’s a power that the mind developed due to the human’s adaptation to this chemical. Upon receiving the chemical within your body, the mind has to learn how to be able to control the power it receives. The mental power must’ve developed sometime during that process.”

“And they all have different mental powers… as well?”

“Yup… this first chimpanzee, he has the power to disappear. I discovered though, as the chimp grows, so does it’s powers and abilities. Not only is this chimp able to just disappear, but it’s able to blend in with it’s surroundings as well, but I’m not to sure if it includes shape shifting.”

“Shape shifting?” Debra asked in shock. “Is that even possible? You’re talking about total reconstruction of a figure into something else.”

“I don’t know if it’s possible, it looks likely though.”

“I can’t believe this.” She said in a whisper as she continued to stare at the cage. “What are the other mental powers?”

“As far as I discovered, there’s telekinesis, telepathy, teleportation and the ability to walk through anything and everything. These are just the basics though, I believe that in time, these powers should grow and adapt new things.”

“I can’t believe you did it baby.” Debra said in awe, still having a hard time believing what her husband had done.

“Now all I have to do is present my studies, findings and results to the government, but I need a human subject.”

“Well, where are you gonna find a willing human subject?” Debra asked, not taking her eyes off the chimpanzee, who was now blending back in with it’s surroundings. When she didn’t hear a reply, she turned to find her husband staring straight at her.

“Me?” she asked in shock. “Oh no baby, you can’t possibly think that… you want to have me… are you serious?”

“Baby, I worked day and night trying to find a solution to the world’s problem, finding a way to prove all those who doubted me wrong. This is it. I’ve always tested it on chimpanzees, which happen to be the closest things to humans. The progress and results were positive, everything turning out fine, nothing abnormal about it.”

“But honey, you’ve never tested it on a an actual human being, and you want me, your wife, to be your first test subject?”

“Baby, I swear to you, on my life, that this is completely safe and effective. I would never create something that I knew would jeopardize humans in anyway, nor would I offer it to you first and foremost if I didn’t know what the outcome would be and if I didn’t trust myself a hundred percent, but I do. I’ve researched and know enough about what I’ve done, and I would never ever do anything to put your life at stake.” he said as he caressed her cheek. “Baby, we’re talking about speeding up, starting a new evolution in humans. We’re gonna go down in history and will be forever known and praised for this. You’ve said that you’ve always wanted to help people, make the world a better place, this is the answer to all of that.”

Debra stood there, staring at her husband, not believing the fact that he was trying to convince her to let him inject her with the chemical he created. “Do you love me baby?” she finally asked after a long moment of silence.

“More than life itself.”

Sighing heavily, she slightly nodded her head. “Okay… I’ll do it.” she said in barely a whisper.

William felt like jumping for joy, but he simply grabbed his wife, lifted her into the air and spun her around. “I promise baby, I’ll never let anything bad happen to you.”