- Text Size +
“MORGAN!” I picked her up and swung her around in circles.

“Okay, Bay, you can put me down now!” she giggled. It didn’t take much, once she put me on the phone with her mom, to get permission for Morgan to spend the day with me.

“I’m so happy you came! Come on, let’s go out back to the pool. Nick and AJ are fighting over who gets to man the grill,” I laughed as I pulled her by the hand. We rounded the side of the house and joined Howie, AJ, Nick, and Riley in the back yard.

“They always fight over who mans the grill. AJ usually wins,” she smiled. “Hi, guys.”

“Heya, Morgan!” AJ grinned widely. “Glad you could make it. You know we love to have ya.” He pulled her into a friendly hug, before returning to his battle, with Nick, over grilling rights. “It’s my grill!”

“Let’s go get ready so we can get into the pool,” I suggested, rolling my eyes at the two men fighting.

“Sounds like a good plan, Baylee,” she grinned and followed me into the house. She immediately headed to the downstairs bathroom as I headed up to the second floor. After only a minute or two, I was changed and standing by the sliding glass door. Morgan came out a moment later.

“Nice suit,” I grinned, “is it new?”

“Yeah,” she blushed deeply. She always did, when I complimented her, even if it was the smallest one. I guess, she doesn’t get many.

“It’s cute. I like the flowers. Hey let’s run and jump,” I smirked. We did just that, too. Both of us ran toward the pool with our curls bouncing. My hair is kind of a mini fro. I like it cut to, about, the middle of my ears…you know, so it’s a little long…and it gets frizzy sometimes. Her curls are a lot longer than mine. I don’t know how she can stand it! They land in the middle of her back and when they are wet, it reaches her butt! No wonder she can’t keep them under control! Anyways, we jumped in the air, tucking our legs under us.

“CANNON BAAAAAALL!” she screamed just before we landed in the middle of the pool. Once we surfaced, I saw Howie standing, a few feet from the edge, soaked!

“You two are gonna get it, you know that right?” he cocked an eyebrow as a smirk slowly crept onto his lips.

“You would have to catch us, first!” I laughed as Morgan and I climbed out on the other side of the pool. We glanced at Howie and made a run for the house.

“Don’t drip water on my new carpet!” Nick shouted as Morgan and I raced through the French doors. We scampered around the corner and into a linen closet. It was a bit of a tight fit, but we huddled, waiting for Howie. Sure enough, we didn’t have to wait long.

“Alright, kiddies, where aaaaare youuuu?” Howie yelled as we heard his footsteps nearing.

“RIGHT HERE!” I screamed as Morgan and I flew out of the closet and tumbled over Howie. He hit the floor with a thud and with us on top of him. We quickly climbed off of him and ran back out to the pool. Morgan giggled wildly as we headed to jump into the water.

“Will they ever learn?” AJ shook his head, from his position behind the grill. Riley had joined the party and was standing behind him with her arms around his waist. They looked really good together. I smiled as I thought about how happy my dad would be, to see AJ like this.

“Oooo! I looove this song! Turn it up, Nick?” Morgan looked up to Nick, who stood close to the stereo. “Oh yeah!” She laughed as he cranked the volume and we started dancing around the pool.

“YOU! Shook me aaaaall niiiiiight looooong!” I sang as we flung our arms in the air and shook our butts. “Baby…YOU! Shook me aaaaaall niiiiight looooong!” The guys were laughing at us as we danced and pretended to sing in microphones. It’s times like these that make me so happy to have a friend like Morgan! We constantly provided the adults with quality entertainment.

“Isn’t that a bit old school for you guys?” Howie raised an eyebrow at us as the song ended and we sat back down.

“Good taste only knows good music, not the time in which it was made,” Morgan replied, trying to sound like she was full of wisdom.

“Yeah,” I nodded, pointing my thumb at her, “what she said.” We both laughed and jumped back into the pool. Ah, I love our barbeques!

“Food’s ready, guys,” AJ announced, holding his spatula in the air. Nick and Howie walked over to help with the food as Morgan and I went in the house. Walking into the kitchen, she started to grab condiments from the refrigerator as I got the paper plates. After all these years, AJ still prefers paper over doing dishes!

“Hey, Morgs…grab the chips?”

“All on it, Bay.”

“Cool, I got the buns, plates, silverware, and potato salad. Are we missing anything?”

“Uuuum…the dip?”

“Already out there.”

“Then, I think we are set.” We loaded our arms and headed back outside. Setting everything on the table, we each grabbed a plate. AJ hooked us each up with a burger and we fixed the rest of our plate, before heading to sit beside the pool.

“So, about Jason. You know that you’re too good for him, right?”

“Uh, do we have to talk about this?” She looked at me through the corner of her eye as she played with a chip.

“Come on, Morgan. There has to be someone else that you like. Someone more…or rather, LESS sleazy. Why do you even like him?”

“As a matter of fact, there is another guy that I like,” she scrunched her nose with a sarcastic laugh. “I like Jason because…well…he’s cute.” She shrugged her shoulder and popped the chip, that she had been playing with, in her mouth.

“Aaaah, the foundation of all good relationships…cuteness levels. I wonder how AJ manages, then?”

“AJ’s not ugly,” she responded, jabbing her elbow into my ribs. I shook my head and threw a chip at her.

“So, is this other guy any better than Jason? Really, I don’t like you being around him…he’s a sleaze. I have no choice to be around him because we’re both on the football team, but you…you can spare yourself.”

“Yes, the other guy is better than Jason…WAY better. Just one thing though,” she lifted an eyebrow as she took a swig of her soda.

“Oh? What’s that?”

“Completely unattainable.”

“Whatever, just consult me first, from now on, if you decide to start dating one of the guys in our school. You know, I know who’s descent and who’s not.”

“You’re not my older brother Baylee.”

“But, I am the closest you’ve got,” I pointed out and she just threw her last chip at me. I set my plate beside me, then grabbed hers and set it with mine. I smirked as I tackled her into the pool.

“BAYLEE,” she couched as we resurfaced. “Don’t you know that you can’t swim for an hour after eating?”

“Hog wash. The water is only up to our chest,” I rolled my eyes at her. “Besides, that wasn’t swimming, it was more of a tackle.”

“Whatever, Baylee.”

“Hey guys, we’re gonna go watch pro wrestling. You two in?” Nick shouted out the French doors.

“As long as I can test the moves on Baylee, I’m in!”

“Oh you know I’ll get the three count before you,” I laughed as we raced into the house. Morgan and I dried off and she pulled on a t-shirt, over her suit, before we sprawled out on the floor. Morgan used my arm as a pillow and soon most of us were passed out. Ah yes, we play, we swim, we harass each other, we eat, then we pass out in front of the TV…typical barbeque! This all happens by 3 in the afternoon and we snooze until 5 or 6 then do it all over again. Except, sometimes, we’ll go pass out in our beds, the second time, instead of in front of the TV. We’re an odd bunch, but I am so excited that we are all a happy odd bunch again.

Nick told me that after the barbeque was over and we took Morgan home, he wanted to sit and talk with me. I figured that he must have read more of dad’s journal. I was hoping that he felt better about himself and the situation. Now there was only one major obstacle to overcome…a big, tall, dark haired, cranky, mean obstacle that we call Kevin. I sure hope God is on our side because we’re going to need Him!