- Text Size +
“You look like you got hit by a train,” I snickered, as I met Morgan on the front lawn. Neither of us was excited about our run, but we were pushing ourselves to do it anyways.

“I feel like it, too. He got me pretty good,” she sighed, stretching out her legs.

“Yeah, well, you never were the greatest fighter.”

“If it weren’t for Nick forcing me to take those self defense classes with you, I wouldn’t have done as well as I did.”

“Which still wasn’t good.”

“I know, Baylee, geesh.” She rolled her eyes, at me, dramatically. “How about you tell me how good, of a try, it was?”

“You did try…I got to give you credit for that,” I laughed as we began to jog.

“I doubt, that I will ever try again, though. I can’t fight well and, now, I feel like crap!” Her comment cracked me up as we hit our full running pace.

“I appreciate you standing up for Mason, though.”

“Well, I’m just happy that I didn’t get expelled. Mom would have killed me! Chopped off my head!”

“No. She’d do what Nick does…ground us from each other,” I chuckled. It was true. There have been many times that Nick will just get fed up and yell, ‘That’s it! You’re not allowed to see Morgan, outside of school for two weeks.’ Let me tell you, it works! Morgan and I are like…I don’t know…football and cheerleaders; you can’t have one without the other.

“O my gosh, Bay Bay!” Morgan came rushing up to me, after second hour History. I was shoving books into my locker, when she finally reached me.

“What?” I turned, from my locker, to her.

“Jenny told Leila, who told Mark, who heard it from Carrie, who…”

“Out with it, already,” I snickered, cutting her off.

“Christina said that Mrs. Perkins is giving pop quizzes in Government this afternoon! O my gosh, I am so not prepared for a pop quiz, Baylee.” Morgan was panicking…again…which she shouldn’t because she is so good…at everything…well…everything to do with schoolwork, I mean. Have I ever mentioned that she’s a brain?

“That’s it?” I raised an eyebrow, tilting my head to the side.

“That’s it?!? That’s it?!?” her eyes were bugging, as if her world were crashing down around her. “You have to help me study, in home room, this hour.”

“Whoa.” I chuckled as I slammed my locker and we began making our way to home room. “You’re the brain Morgan, and in case you forgot…I’m the dumb jock. You should be helping me study.”

“I’m serious Baylee! I can’t fail this quiz!”

“Of course not!” I rolled my eyes, again, and opened the classroom door for her. “We wouldn’t want you to loose that plus after you’re A.” Morgan looked at me funny, before taking her seat. I sighed loudly and slipped into my own seat, right next to hers. “I was kidding Morgan. You know that we always study together.”

“It’s cool, whatever,” she shrugged. I opened my mouth to continue, but was interrupted by the last bell.

“Attention! Everyone settle down!” Mr. Huffman called. I took one last glance at Morgan before returning my attention to the front, of the class. After about 15 minutes, we were turned to doing our studies.

“Come on Morgan, you know I was just giving you a hard time. I just thought it was funny how you worded it, is all.”

“Oh yeah? And, tell me, what was so funny about it? Huh?” Okay, was it just me, or did she sound really mad at me? She never gets mad at me!

“You said that I needed to help you study. I’m a jock…I can’t even help myself study!” I laughed, trying to lighten her mood. I was beginning to wonder what her issue was, today. Maybe she got into a fight with her mom? No…she was fine on our run, so that couldn’t be it.

“Yeah well…you’re the one who quizzes me…and that classifies as helping me study,” she huffed, crossing her arms. Morgan huffed…at me! ME!

“Quit being like this, Morgan,” I sighed, pulling out the flashcards she had made. “Now, what is the first amendment to the constitution?” Morgan finally came out of her mood and studied with me. Just like I figured, she aced the quiz later in the afternoon. Since government is our last class, she spent the whole day worrying about the stupid quiz!

“I am so glad that’s over!” She sighed, leaning up against the locker, next to mine.

“Yeah, now you can quit freaking over it,” I snickered, tossing my books into my backpack. I reached up and grabbed my binder, before slamming the locker shut.

“I wasn’t freaking out, Baylee. I just…you know…wanted to do well.” Slinging her own backpack over her shoulder, she lost grip of the things in her hands. Papers and books spilled over the floor, causing her to huff, out of frustration.

“Yeah and you always do.” I glanced up at her, as I helped to gather her scattered items. She has a tendency to be a bit of a klutz. She doesn’t mean to be and she gets quite agitated with herself over it, but it’s like she can’t help it, or something.

“Hey now, you do well, too. You almost got all A’s on your last report card.” We stood up and I handed her back the things that I had picked up. She smiled warmly as we made our way down the hall and exited the school’s front doors.

“Compared to someone else I know, who cried half the night because one of her A’s didn’t have a plus after it?”

“Yeah well, I have extra time to study. You don’t because of your extracurricular…”

“Hey guys!” Sean interrupted her, as he came running up behind us. Sean only shared a few classes with me and Morgan, and he was always late getting out, because his last class was band. He takes that tuba, of his, pretty seriously!

“How’s that tuba?” I asked, nodding my head to large case that he was carrying.

“Dude, Miss Laura is making us play some dumb old song for our next concert. It’s like from a stupid old movie called Star Wars or something, like that. Tsh, she is so lame, sometimes!”

“Lame?!?” Morgan piped back up, “Star Wars isn’t lame! It’s like…classic!” She looked at Sean as if he had lost his mind and held her hands up, in front of her, dramatically.

“GEEK!” Sean and I shouted, before bursting into laughter.

“That’s not nice! You guys are supposed to be my friends!”

“We are,” Sean slung his arm over her shoulder, hugging her to him.

“Yeah, Morgs…you’re our geek!” I smiled, nudging her with my elbow. We called her ‘our geek’ sometimes, just to play around with her…

“Tsh…JOCKS.” …and that would be her usual response.

“Yeah,” I grinned, “but we’re your jocks!”

“Wooo! Lucky me!” she rolled her eyes, like usual, a smile creeping up on her lips. She shoved Sean’s shoulder and then brought her foot up behind, to kick my butt.

“Oh yeah, we’re like that cool old movie, She’s All That,” Sean nodded, causing Morgan to stop, in her tracks, trying to control her laughter. Alright…this wasn’t part of the usual conversation and I wasn’t, entirely, sure where he was going with it.

“You are not serious! You’re calling me a geek because I like the classic Star Wars but yet, you’re calling She’s All That cool?!? Why do I even associate myself with you?” She shook her head and walked up, ahead of us.

“That movie was lame, dude,” I snickered.

“But think about it…the jocks transform the geek into a total hottie! We could so do that with Morgan!”

“You think?” I lifted an eyebrow at Sean; the man might just have a good point. Morgan stopped and whipped around to face us.

“NO! No no no no no…you are not…NO! Are you crazy mad?!? Have you lost your puny little dumb jock minds?!?” her eyes widened as she continued to protest the idea.

“Well?” Sean shrugged.

“It could work…release your inner hottie, Morgan,” I gave her a lopsided grin. Her jaw dropped. She turned back and started walking.

“Why do I even bother with those two? Are they insane?” She shook her head, talking to herself and walking ahead of us. “This is absurd! Why, even the thought! My inner hottie?!? What is that anyways?”

“Don’t fight it Morgy baby!” Sean called, jogging up to her side. “We could do the makeover in time for the next dance! Then all the guys would like…stop…and stare! You could be the next prom queeeeeeeen!”

“Sean, we’re freshman we don’t even go to prom!”

“We could take you to get your hair dooooooone…” I wiggled my eyebrows, as the three of us, headed into my house.

“I’m ignoring yooooooooou!” she huffed, plopping onto the couch.

“Hey kiddies!” AJ smiled, coming in, from the back yard.

“Hey, AJ. Don’t you think Morgan has an inner hottie, just waiting to be released?” Sean questioned, slouching beside Morgan, on the couch. She let out a dramatic sigh, as Sean slung his arm around her.

“All women have an inner hottie,” AJ smirked, “even if they don’t want to admit it or let anyone see it…all women have an inner hottie!” He smiled and headed, past us, towards the kitchen.

“Can we just study?” Morgan pulled out a book, from her bag.

“Yeah,” I nodded, sitting by her other side. “We’ve harassed you enough. You know we love ya though!”

“Unfortunately, for me, I love you dumb boneheaded jocks, too,” she sighed and gave us each a peck on the cheek. Yep, we are definitely an odd bunch! Like pickles on your peanut butter and jelly…everyone says ‘eeew’, but in reality, they fit together perfectly!