- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
I'm really sorry the updates have been so spaced out. I'm about 4 months pregnant and have been SOOO sick! I'll try to get more out soon. So here is the next chapter. I'm sorry it's such a short one, but I'm hoping the content will make up for the length. *evil grin* Read, enjoy, and let me know what you think!
So the rest of the road trip went smoothly. We sang some more goofy songs, told jokes, and just messed around…it was amazing how at ease everyone was, now! Naturally, the moment we pulled into the driveway, I was practically attacked by Morgan…and Riley was instantly in AJ’s arms. The two of them were actually sitting on the steps, waiting for us…not that we were too surprised by that, either. We had gotten back pretty late, that night, so we unloaded the van and pretty much just passed out.

The next morning Mason started packing up, to move back with Kevin. I was kind of sad that he was leaving, I’d miss having him around all the time, but I was happy for him at the same time. Besides, it’s not like he was moving out of the state or anything, and he really did need to be with his dad. When I helped him carry stuff out to Kevin’s car, I gave him a half hug and told him that I’d see him at school.

Then Morgan and I raced up to my room (of course I let her win) to catch up on everything that had been going on during the week. Naturally, I let her talk about her break first, but as usual, it consisted mainly of studying. After she rambled for a while about some history paper, that I undoubtedly forgot all about, we started going over the week at the farm. Stretching out on my bed, we stared at the ceiling, as I replayed the events to her.

“So, Kevin really wasn’t a drug addict back then? And AJ blaming Kevin for getting him into drugs wasn’t even entirely accurate?” Rolling to her side, she propped up on one elbow, with the most adorable confused look on her face.

“That’s what I’m saying. Evidently, the only thing Kevin ever gave AJ, was some antidepressant pills. AJ realized how good the pills made him feel, especially being mixed with the Jack, and so he started getting into other stuff. I guess from AJ’s view, that meant Kevin was to blame.” I watched Morgan as she twisted her lip, in thought. Was she actually wearing lip gloss? Since when does Morgan…oh yeah…she’s a cheerleader now…a lot of things have changed.

“It’s pretty normal for addicts to pass the blame. AJ probably decided it was Kevin’s fault a long time ago…back in the deepest part of his addiction, or maybe when he started rehab…somewhere along the line, the excuse became the truth. You know?” Reaching up, I brushed a stray curl off her cheek, pushing it behind her ear. My eyes were locked with hers, as I thought about her theory. It was quite possible. When you tell yourself something long enough, you start to believe it. In AJ’s case, he would have had years for the half truth to become a full truth, in his mind.

“You’re probably right, Morgan. I don’t completely understand why Kevin fell into it, though.”

“Some things aren’t meant for us to understand.” Her shoulder shrugged, as my hand rested on the side of her neck. There was something in her eyes…something that I didn’t recognize, and it was actually making my heart speed up, just a little. Why? I’ve got no idea. Just lying there, with only inches between her body and mine, I kept staring into her eyes.

My mind was wondering. It was wondering in places that it really shouldn’t go. Morgan was my best friend, for pete sake! Ever since she walked into school that day, with the makeover, my mind has been wondering big time! It doesn’t make sense. She is still the same smart, pretty, funny, caring, amazing, great, honest, trustworthy, sweet…holy crap! I’m starting to sound like I have a crush on my best friend! That’s not even possible…is it?!? It sounds like some kind of cliché romance movie.

“Yeah, I guess you’re right on that point.” I just gave her a grin as I took my hand from her neck and sat up. Reaching into the small refrigerator, I pulled out a can of soda, for each of us. “Coke or Root Beer today Morgs?”

“Hmm. I think…Root Beer. Thanks, Bay.” Popping the can open, I handed it to her with a smile. There was a slight blush lingering on her cheeks, and I couldn’t figure out what had caused it, this time. Sure I make her blush a lot, but I usually knew what I did to turn her cheeks pink.

“Anything for you Morgs, you know that.” I popped my own can open, as I sat back on the bed and gave her a grin. Just for the record…that’s not a lie either…I really would do anything for my best friends…especially her! Besides, she really deserved to be treated well, and I tried to always be the best friend that I could. We sat in silence for a few minutes, just drinking our sodas.

“So the big game is next Friday.” Morgan’s voice broke the silence, and nearly made me jump. She was fiddling with the tab on her soda can, as she tilted her head. “It’s going to be a lot of fun…plus that means next week is Spirit Week.”

“Oh yeah!” A smile crept onto my lips. Spirit Week is one of high school’s highlights! “I’m going all out for it, too. Cross dress day will be priceless! Are you going to help your best friend with the makeup? I already bought a long blonde wig, to wear!” My smile grew even bigger, the more I thought about it…the whole week was going to be a ton of fun!

“Are you seriously taking it that far, Bay?” Her giggle floated into my ears, and when I looked at her, there was a smile on her lips. Admittedly, that smile is one of the prettiest things about Morgan. She has those plump lips that guys always like and when she smiles, her cheeks get these little dimples in them. “I was going to wear a pair of your baggy jeans that day. I wonder if I can do the ‘guy walk’.”

“Yeah, I’m going all out. Come on, Morgs, you know me…this is the kind of thing I have fun with. And you always borrow my clothes anyways, so have at it…it’s not like I’ll tell you ‘no’.” Rolling my eyes, I set our sodas on the bedside table, before lying back down. Morgan followed suit, laying beside me, and resting her head on my arm. “So, you’ll do my make up? I’m afraid I’ll poke my eye out with that mascara wand thing.”

“You are truly one of a kind, Littrell.” I couldn’t help but laugh when her hand playfully hit my stomach. My fingers started to twirl one of her curls, as I pulled her closer to me. “But I suppose I better help, so you don’t hurt yourself.”

“That would be nice of you.” Smiling, I turned my head to look at her, just as she looked up at me. Our noses were only an inch apart, and by now my mind was really headed to uncharted territory.

“Well…um…that’s what…best friends…are for…right?” My eyes were glued to her lips, as her tongue slipped out to moisten them. Come on Baylee…snap out of it! But they looked so soft…and with that lip gloss…NO! Bad thoughts! BAD!

“Right.” It was now my tongue’s turn to slip out and wet my own lips. My heart was now racing, and my mind was screaming at me to BACK UP! So if I know I shouldn’t do this…why were my lips inching closer to hers? As my eyes started closing, I heard my brain screaming louder, but it didn’t seem like my body was listening. Heck, I knew it wasn’t listening! Was I really going to kiss my best friend?

“B…Bay…lee…” Just a whisper, her voice struggled to be heard. Was it a protest? Was it out of confusion or shock? Was her brain yelling at her, like mine was yelling at me? And when did my fingers slip into her hair?!? I’m a goner. There’s no stopping it now! My hand was already gently pulling her face toward mine…my eyes were completely closed, now…my heart was pounding against my ribcage…butterflies were filling my stomach…then it happened. Connection. Her lips were on mine…mine on hers…I was really kissing my best friend!