- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Wow this is the quickest update i've had in a looong time! Hope you enjoy!

“I am going to kill that kid.”

 

“Kevin calm down…”

 

“No Brian I am not going to calm down, he is driving me freaking bananas and we just got here.”

 

“You need to chill out cousin, he’s just a kid. That’s what kids do.”

 

“Look at him Brian, he’s bouncing up and down…he’s been literally doing that for the last five minutes. He’s like some freaky human pogo stick or something.”

 

I laughed at my cousin’s description of our youngest band member, he did have a point. Nick was jumping up and down for no good reason at all.  

 

We were invited to the Carter’s house for a BBQ on one of our very rare days off. Kevin didn’t want to go and I understand why. He’s 21 years old, he has nothing in common with any of the Carters and I’m sure that the last thing he wanted to do on his day off was entertain Nick, who admittedly, drove him crazy.

 

I love being around Nick though, I’m not sure why. I mean he’s barely 13 years old. There’s just something about him that I’m intrigued by I guess.

 

“Kevin! Watch this!!!” I smiled as Nick continued to jump, trying desperately to get my cousin’s attention.

 

Kevin rolled his eyes before turning Nick’s way, “Yeah…nice one.” He then turned to me and whispered, “Can we go?”

 

“Oh stop being an old fogie and just try to have some fun, would ya?”

 

“Kevin!!”

 

My cousin ignored Nick’s screaming, “I don’t call this fun.”

 

“Then how come you came?”

 

“Because I felt obliged to.”

 

“AJ and Howie didn’t feel any obligation.”

 

“Kevin!!! Brian!!!” I glanced over at my little buddy and waved as he finally stopped his bouncing and came running over to us.

 

“Didn’t you hear me calling you Kevin?” He placed his hands over his eyes to block the sun and looked up at my cousin.

 

“Yeah I heard you. You shouldn’t scream so much, it’s not good for your voice.”

 

“I don’t care. It’s like a snow day today!!!! Minus the snow!!! YAY!!!”

 

Have I mentioned how much I love this kid? He’s seriously my long lost brother. He has to be. “Yeah…whoopee!” Kevin answered by twirling his finger in the air.

 

Nick’s happy expression went south real fast, “I thought you’d be happy we have the day off.”

 

Kevin let out a sigh and smiled his most sarcastic of smiles. Luckily for Nick, only I knew it wasn’t a genuine one. “I am happy. Happy as a clam in fact.”

 

“You don’t seem very happy.”

 

“I am.” He answered, clearly lying through his teeth. Did he think Nick was that stupid? It kind of angered me.

 

“I thought maybe it would be fun if we played basketball or something.” Nick said throwing the ball over to my cousin as if I wasn’t even there.

 

Kevin answered by immediately throwing the ball at me, “I’m sure Brian would love to play.”

 

The look of disappointment on Nick’s face was more than apparent. “I know he’ll play with me, but I was hoping you would too.” He said as he bowed his head towards the ground.

 

Poor Nick, ever since we really started to gel as a group, he has wanted to win Kevin over. I’m sure to him, nothing is cooler than to be in a group with a 21 year old. Even though he gives my cousin a hard time, I could tell that he also looks up to him. He wants to be Kevin. I even caught him trying on one of Kevin’s shirts once. It was hanging off of him so badly he looked like the melting Wicked Witch. Nick was so embarrassed when I caught him he insisted he thought it was his shirt and then made some kind of offhanded comment about how Kevin’s armpits smell like shit, before tearing the shirt off of him and throwing it in a corner.

 

“Kevin will play, it’s not like he has anything better to do, right Kev?” I said tossing the ball right back to him.

 

He gave me a look of death, but I didn’t care. He was being an ass and if that meant reporting back to my aunt Ann about it, I would. Yes, I was a snitch, but I wouldn’t have to be if he wasn’t such a jerk sometimes.

 

“I guess.” He answered as unenthusiastically as possible.

 

“Great!” Nick said, ignoring Kevin’s unwillingness. “Me and Kevin against you!”

 

“Why don’t you team up with Brian and I’ll take you both on.” Kevin suggested.

 

“No offense Kevin, but if Brian and I teamed up, you wouldn’t stand a chance. This way it’s a little more fairer.”

 

“Just fairer”

 

“Yeah, that’s what I said. I little more fairer.”

 

“No, just fairer.”

 

“Yeah, a little more…”

 

“Never mind Nick.” Kevin shook his head and tossed the ball back at me.

 

Nick looked confused and shrugged his shoulders as if to say ‘your cousin is a weirdo.’ Don’t I know it?

 

“So, are we playing or what?” He asked looking over at Kevin with pleading eyes.

 

“Yeah, I guess so…but no cheating!”

 

“I do not cheat!”

 

“Nick, you cheat all the time!”

 

“Not playing basketball. I’m good at basketball!” Actually he was pretty bad at basketball but I am teaching him the basics so he’s getting better.

 

“You aren’t good at playing basketball.” Uh oh…

 

Nick, who had been a jumping, smiling fool only minutes earlier was now angry and pouting, leaving me to try to undo the damage Kevin had caused with that last statement. Aunt Ann is definitely getting a call from me tonight!

 

Nick placed his hands across his chest and literally stomped on the ground as if he were three. “You know what? Screw this! I’m not playing!” He yelled as if boycotting our game was going to make Kevin cry. That child has a lot to learn but thank goodness I am here to teach him.

 

“Nick, come back. He didn’t mean that.” I said looking back at Kevin who I have to say, did look like he felt a tad guilty.

 

Nick walked out of his backyard and across the street to a lamppost and just started kicking at it. “Son of a bitch!” He screamed as he continued to kick with all his might.

 

“Hey! Watch the language. Your mom is in earshot of you!” I warned him as I approached. I heard Kevin’s slow strut following close behind. Maybe he’d impress me by being understanding and gentle for a change.

 

“I don’t care if she fucking hears me!” He kicked at the post once more. I was half expecting him to fall over in pain. I’m sure it would make an entertaining story to tell Howie and AJ about how we had to rush Nick to the hospital for breaking his foot. Lou would not be amused however.

 

“Nick, what’s the deal?” Kevin asked from behind me. He sounded annoyed, so much for understanding and gentle.

 

“Nothing, just go the hell away. I know you don’t want to be anywhere near me anyway.”

 

“Stop acting like a baby. Maybe if you didn’t act like that I would want to be near you.” 

 

I took a few steps back, not wanting to be in anyone’s punching range. “You hate me.” Nick whispered looking down at the ground while kicking at the grass. Good, at least grass is softer than metal.

 

“I do not hate you. Just because I told you, you aren’t good at something doesn’t mean I hate you so, stop being ridiculous. You stink at basketball Nick, but you’re learning. Soon, you won’t stink at it. Learn how to take criticism!”

 

“All I do is take people’s fucking criticism!”

 

“Watch the language. You aren’t allowed to say Fuck until you know what it means.”

 

Nick actually giggled despite his anger. “Shut up, I know what it means.”

 

“I’m just saying…” This time it was Kevin who smiled and laughed. “So, are you done being a little brat now? Can we play some basketball?” Kevin reached out his hand and tousled Nick’s hair. Right there I understood why Nick looked up to my cousin. I also understood why I did too.

 

“I guess so…” Nick said seemingly distracted by something. He walked past Kevin and grabbed a small ladder that was lying beside the lamppost he had taken his frustrations out on.

 

“Hey Brian, look at this!” He said as he opened the ladder and moved up a couple of the rungs, carefully measuring the top of Kevin’s head as he did so. “I’m as tall as your cousin now!”

 

Kevin just shook his head as he leaned against the post. “Now that would make a cute picture, stay like that boys!” Mrs. Carter said as she ran across the street with a camera in her hands. “Would you like to get into the picture Brian?” She asked me. I thought about it for a second and then shook my head.

 

“No thanks.” I said, looking at Kevin and Nick posing for the picture.

 

I knew that the two of them would have a very special relationship as the years went on. Maybe one day they’d look at this picture as a reminder of how things were back when we first started. “One day I’m going to be taller than you Kevin!” I heard my best friend say just as Jane clicked the camera.

 

“Yeah, in your dreams pip squeak!” Came the quick reply.

 

We never did play basketball.