- Text Size +
Allegra slept through the entire night and woke up at 10 am on Saturday. She was grateful that she had arrived on a Friday, which meant she had two days for shopping, relaxing in the sun, planning her wedding and maybe even find some time to meet up with Kenneth Crear. Not wanting to get out of bed just yet, she turned her body around so she was lying on her stomach and listened to the birds outside. It felt so good to be here, even though she had a hectic schedule to follow both on professional and privat level, she remembered she really had to call the wedding planner her soon to be mother-in-law had hired.

If it had been Allegra’s choice, she would’ve done everything by herself, but Mrs. Blackwell was a true nosey parker and she had expressed how Allegra really needed to have a wedding planner. And the wedding planner Mrs. Blackwell had picked out, was one of kind. Joan Kindle was a woman who couldn’t accept ‘no’ for an answer, even though Allegra totally disagreed with her opinion. Groaning about that unpleasant vision, she stepped out of bed and put on a robe. Grabbing her cell with her downstairs, she dialed Joan Kindle’s number and set her phone on the counter.

“Allegra Scott! It’s about time you contact me!” Joan’s high voice screamed through the phone and through Allegra’s mind.

“Hi Joan. I’m sorry. I’ve just been really busy. I just wanted to let you know I’m in LA right now.”

“In LA? No, that’s unacceptable. You should come back right away. You still have to make a decision on the flowers, the caterer, what kind of desert you want, and the table linen.”

“I’m aware of that,” Allegra said, leaning on the counter, playing absentmindely with a lock of her hair.

“But I was thinking, why don’t you e-mail me some of those great ideas you have on all of this. I really trust in your opinion since you know so much about it.”

Allegra could almost feel the woman smile with the fake compliment she had given. It wasn’t Allegra’s style to be dishonest, but with Joan Kindle she made an exception. She just wasn’t in the mood for the woman to drag on about all these unimportant things. She didn’t care at all which colours the flowers had.

“Well, I suppose I can do that. But you have to give me your word you’ll soon let me know about your decisions.”

“I will. I promise. Now, I really need to go now. I have a lot of things to do today and the sooner you can e-mail me your suggestions, the sooner I can respond on it.”

After another ten minutes of talking about complete rubbish, Allegra could finally make an end to this dreaded conversation and sighed deeply. Why on earth did I ever let Jean talk me into this? She thought to herself as she ran her hands through her hair. Sitting on one of the barchairs, doing some introspection, Allegra’s stomach begin to groan, a clear signal she needed to dress herself and go grocery shopping. Although there were always the basics of food available, she needed to get soda, water, bread, sandwich filling, pasta, some chicken, fruit and veggies... Come to think of it, she actually needed a lot, so before heading towards her bathroom, she scribbled everything she needed on a piece of paper.

Standing in her bedroom, she opened her suitcase and put everything away in her dressing. Looking outside the window one more time to see what kind of weather it was, she opted to go for a white empire dress from Ralph Lauren with matching white square-toe loafers. Whenever she could, Allegra opted to wear shoes without high heals, or even better, sandals or flip flops. Going through her purses, Allegra picked out her much adored white Spectator bag and went downstairs once again, to gather her cell, wallet, shopping list and car keys. There were several cars available and knowing she would buy a lot today, she chose the black Range Rover Sport. Allegra walked to the garage and unlocked the vehicle, stepping inside. She always loved riding around with this car, it made her feel like she was on top of the world. Starting up the engine, Allegra pressed a small button that opened the entrance gate and slowly drove off the property.

Searching through the GPS for the most nearby grocery store, she decided to go for Whole Foods Market and set course to Santa Monica Boulevard. It took Allegra almost an hour to get everything she needed, mostly because she saw so much that she liked to eat or drink. After paying, she loaded the shopping bags into the trunk of the car and after returning the shopping cart, she returned home. She was singin along with ‘Man,I Feel Like A Woman’ from Shania Twain when her cell went off.

Turning the music volume down, she answered the call.

“Hello?”

“Hi Allegra. How are you?”

“I’m good Mr Crear, thank you. And you?”

“Very good. Listen, are you busy at the moment?”

“I’m just on my way back home. I just finished grocery shopping and I have to put everything away. Why?”

“Well, we have started shooting some early bonus footage today and I was wondering if you’d like to come around and meet everyone. This way, I think, it’s easier for you when you start on Monday.”

Allegra considered him for a moment and then nodded her head. Kenneth was right, if she met everyone now, they would feel just a little bit more comfortable around her and vice versa.

“That sounds good to me Kenneth. Can you text me the address of the house within a couple of minutes? I’m almost home and when I have storaged everything, I’ll be on my way.”

“Very well. I’ll, or even better, we’ll see you soon then.”

The call finished and Allegra made her way to her house. She dragged all her bags inside the litchen and put the groceries all away neatly. While she was busy doing exactly that, a message came in on her cellphone and after she had closed the fridge, she once again stepped inside her car and set the address into her GPS. Driving through the Hollywood Hills, she admired the views it gave her on the extensiveness of Los Angeles. So different than New York, but almost just as big.

It wasn’t so easy to find the residence where, according to the files, the Carter family would live. Allegra had been on the wrong track for at least three times, and began to feel a little bit desperate.

I’m a decent woman with a professional degree, why is it so hard to find my way if I even have the help of a GPS system? Allegra said to herself, driving back the direction she came from. And then she finally noticed this little street. Well, you couldn’t possible say it was a street, more an alley. Looking into the car mirror to see if there were any other vehicles approaching, she parked teh car and stepped outside. It was better if she went to see if this was the right way than driving into it and then noticing that she was wrong again. Solar Drive, she read on the streetname tag and smiled. She’d finally found it. She climbed quickly back into the jeep and turned left into the small passage, watching the road carefully. There were no houses whatsoever here and she began to wonder if Kenneth was pulling a practical joke on her. However, the minute that specific thought had crossed her mind, she saw the road go open and became aware of the villa that was standing there in all its natural grandeur.


Killing the engine, she breathed in deeply once before grabbing her purse. Closing the car with an automatic button, she walked down the stone path to what seemed to be the front door. Raising her hand towards the doorbell; the large wooden door all of the sudden flew open and Aaron Carter was standing in front of Allegra.

“What’s up honey? Didn’t thought my man Chaz would set me up on such a hot date. Man, where did ya come from?”Aaron said, looking at Allegra with pure lust in his eyes.

Allegra just stood there, stunned on how this kid spoke to her like that. Her mouth fell open and she had, maybe for the first time ever in her life, no idea what to say or how to react. Aaron, on the other hand, misread her silence and figured she was in total awe for him. Stepping outside the house, he walked with the confidence young people have towards Allegra.

“So, okay, I know you’re all into me and everything, but really, I’m just a man of flesh and blood.”

Aaron must have thought that this last part of his sentence was extremely funny because he bursted out in laughter.

Regaining her composure, Allegra cleared her throat and tossed Aaron a polite smile.

“It’s very nice to meet you at last Aaron. My name is Allegra, and the manager of your brother has asked me to help you through this television show. I’ll be your family’s psychologist during the show.”

She could tell Aaron was shocked and embarrassed on how he had approached her. Allegra figured this was already a good lesson for him to learn.

“I’m so sorry. God, I’ve been a complete idiot right?”

Allegra nodded her head. “Yes, you have. But you know what, I’ll let it off for once. Just remember you can’t expect every girl to fall in love with you.”

Aaron gave Allegra a tiny nod and then he smiled again.

“Maybe I can make it up to you just a little bit and show you around the house?”

Before Allegra could respond, she noticed Kenneth stepping outside as well behind Aaron. His eyes were twinkling and that told Allegra he had heard the first encounter between Aaron and her. She waved to him and smiled. It was a big help for her he would be here as much as he could.

“Good day there Allegra. Welcome to the ‘House Of Carters’!

He stuck out his left hand and Allegra took it. With Aaron behind them, Kenneth helped her inside the house and she followed him and Aaron towards the main room of the house, which served as the living room. Allegra couldn’t help but to be in awe for this house. Build out of stone and old wood, it gave her the instant feeling of protection, a feeling she hadn’t felt in a very long time. She admired the artwork that was hung up casually around the walls, and pondered on how every room would look like. She’d always been a huge fan of architecture and art history and in her free time, Allegra tried to read into architectural magazines and books, imprinting the variety of building styles.

Knowing she wasn’t here for the interior, she focussed her attention back onto the persons into the living room. She noticed Aaron standing next to a very tall brunette, and she assumed this was Angel. Twins had the unaware urge to stick together whenever someone unknown trespassed their territory.

“Alright you guys, can I have your attention please! As you all know by now, this television show won’t be easy to shoot and you all have a lot of issues going on. That’s why I have invited Miss Scott to be your emotional support during the show. She’s a very good, and licensed, psychologist but she’s only here if you need to talk to her.”

Kenneth paused for a minute and glanced around the room. He knew Nick and BJ were downstairs by the pool and he was grateful for that. Now Allegra had a chance to meet up with Leslie, Angel and Aaron. It would be hard for them to open up to her but he really hoped they would. It was a chance for them to find some peace within themselves and according to Jake, Allegra was the perfect person to help them.

“Angel, Leslie and Aaron, I really hope you’ll give Miss Scott a chance here. Leslie, sweetie, I’m gonna find your Nick and BJ. Will you give Miss Scott something to drink?”
Leslie nodded her head and after Kenneth had given Allegra an encouring nod, he walked away to find the other two siblings.

“The kitchen is right here, so if you’d like to follow me…” Leslie said and Allegra smiled to her. It wasn’t so hard to see how fragile she was and she moved along behind Leslie. Through the corner of her eyes, she noticed that both Angel and Aaron stepped into the kitchen as well.

“Are you really a psychologist?” Angel asked, staring at her perfectly manicured fingernails.

Allegra, taking the glass of water from Leslie, nodded her head.

“Yes I am. Does that give you an odd feeling?”

Angel threw her a look and then shrugged her shoulders.
“I don’t know, I mean, we already have done the whole shrink thing and it didn’t work out that good.”

“I understand. But I’m not a shrink, I’m a psychologist. I’m not here to analyze everything all of you say or do. I’m only here of you ever need to talk to someone.”

“I have 2 sisters and 2 brother I can talk to. I don’t think we need a person we don’t know nothing about tell everything about us.”

So she’s not too thrilled about me being here. Mmm; nevertheless, I have to show her she can trust me.

“Fair enough. I’d do the same thing if I was in your shoes right now. So go ahead, ask me anything. I promise to answer every question.”

The kids seemed to be considering Allegra’s words for a moment and then Leslie spoke up.

“Where you’re from? You don’t have a Californian accent.”

“True. I’m from New York and I live and work there. Kenneth happens to be close friends with my boss and that’s how I got here.”

“Where are you staying?” Angel asked, intrigued now by the fact Allegra flew across the country for them.

“Let’s just say I have access to a house here. I’ll be staying there during the time you need me.”

“Well, you were driving one hell of a car. I take it you’re rich.” Aaron casually said and tossed Allegra another smile.

Before she could answer his question, Kenneth returned.

“I spoke to Nick for a moment, and if it is okay with you, he’d like to talk to you in private for a moment. BJ actually isn’t feeling too well and we thought it would be best if you two met another day.”

Allegra nodded her head and said goodbye to Aaron, Leslie and Angel before she followed Kenneth outside.

“Nick is waiting downstairs for you by the pool. I’ll give you guys a moment to meet and discuss some things. If there’s anything, just call and I’ll be right over.”

Allegra nodded her head and then walked down the stone staircase that led to the pool area. She recognized Nick the minute she saw him and Allegra felt weird for a moment, standing in front of an A list celebrity. Most of her friends were celebrities just like Nick, and she was used to their way of living and their extraordinary demandings, but felt, well, shy. She assumed he was just like them. Spoiled, off track and broken inside.

“Hello Allegra, I’m Nick. It’s so nice to meet you!” Nick said, walking over to Allegra, shaking her hand. He had a calm, soothing voice, and he seemed to be relaxed. More relaxed than his siblings anyway.

“Hello Nick. It’s good to meet you too.”

Nick offered her a wooden chair with creamy beige cushions and after they both had taken their seats Allegra spoke out first.

“So, I guess you want to discuss some things with me about this show and perhaps your family too?”
Nick nodded his head and licked his lips, a gesture Allegra had read about.

“Yep, that’s true. I just wanted to say first how glad I am that you were willing to work with us. I should warn you though, my brother and sisters can be a huge pain in the ass.”

Allegra laughed softly and nodded her head as well.
“You agree with me?”

“Well, let’s just say my introduction with them was kind of harsh.”

Nick’s eyes grew a little bit darker and concern filled his facial expression.

“Have they bothered you already?”

“No no, it’s just that I could sense a lot of hostility in Angel. She’s clearly not used to talk to a woman who’s not impressed by her. Leslie’s just shy at the moment, but I’ve read her file and I’d expected her to act this way.”

“You do seem to read them well. Angel indeed has her flaws such as being demanding and always wanting to be in the centre of attention. Her and Aaron are actually alike. Speaking of him, what are your thoughts on him?”

“Well, you can obviously tell he’s quite shattered by the divorce you all went through. He acts like a macho, thinking every girl will throw herself at his feet.”

“He thought about you that way didn’t he?”

Allegra was surprised by Nick’s comment and only nodded her head. In reaction to this, Nick shook his head and went through his hair with his hands.

“I’m so sorry about that. Erm, Aaron tries to look a lot like me. That’s why he’s acting the way he’s doing right now.”

“And why does he want to look like you? Don’t get me wrong here Nick, but I think he’s capable enough of setting down his own personality.”

“I’ve been into some, erm, intense relationships in the past and you know, he’s eight years younger than me, he’s living a life kids dream of and he wants to date a beautiful woman too, doing stupid stuff like I used to do.”

Allegra felt this was a tender spot for Nick to talk about and decided wisely to change on another, more safe, subject.

“I understand. Now, how do you see me working with all of you? Should I only come around on specific dates or do you want to meet somewhere else than this house?”

Nick considered her words for a moment, trying to find the best solution for everyone.

“I don’t want to be nosey or anything like that, but where do you stay here? I mean, it wouldn’t be fair for you if you live like an hour away or something. Even though gasoline is still cheap, I wouldn’t want you to be stuck in traffic every time you come to us.”

Nick’s obvious care for her wellbeing touched Allegra and she smiled.

“Actually, my dad owns a house here in LA, not that far from here. So I don’t suppose I’ll be stuck in traffic a lot, it’s also located here in the hills.”

Nick seemed surprised by that and she was grateful Kenneth hadn’t mentioned who she really was. She knew that, if she wanted the Carter kids to trust her completely, she’d to open up too, she just wasn’t sure yet on how she should do that.

“Good. Okay, then I suggest you come and see this week how everything goes. I think it’s good that you meet the crew and that you can see us in action.

“That sounds perfect to me.”

Allegra and Nick smiled at each other and she looked around.

“I must say though, this house is amazing. I don’t know how you found this, but it’s absolutely breathtaking.”

“You think? Yeah, it’s good for all of us to live in a real house again and it’s big enough for the five of us. I think it’s important we all can have our own private spot.”

A loud scream above somewhere above them interrupted Nick and Allegra’s conversation and Nick stood up.

“I guess I can better go up and see what’s going on.”

“Of course. I’m gonna try to find Kenneth and then I’ll leave you, I think that’s for the best.”

Nick seemed to hesitate to say something but then nodded his head and let her go first on their way up. Arriving back into the living room, they both saw immediately what was going on: Angel was running after Leslie with a large knife in her right had, screaming she’d kill her. Allegra was stunned on how Angel acted and knew this girl needed a firm hand and some real discipline. It was unbelievable how childish she was.

“Okay! Can somebody please tell me what the fuck is going on?” Nick raised his voice and yelled so loud everyone calmed down within seconds.

“Angel Charisma Carter! Put that knife down and apologise to Leslie, now!”

Angel pouted her lips and Allegra feared for a moment that Nick would give in. But she soon found out he made sure they would listen to him. Angel did indeed let the knife down on a sidetable and she, although it was not more than a whisper, apologised to her sister.

“Now, dare I ask why you’re acting so stupid?”

“Nick, she was eating up my lasagne, the one I had bought yesterday!” Angel sort of whined.

“So? Is that a valid reason that you run after your sister with a knife?”

Angel, now very quiet, shook her head and looked down to the floor.

“I’m gonna let Allegra out of the house. Please try to be civil to each other in the meantime.”

Allegra followed Nick until they were outside the front door.

“Are you okay?” She immediately asked. She sympathized with him. She had no brothers or sisters herself, and Allegra could only imagine what was running through his mind right now.

“Yeah. Don’t worry about it. It was just frightening to see that evil look in her eyes.”

“Listen, why don’t I talk to all of them individually, starting from tomorrow? I just need your help to figure out how and where I should talk to them.”

Nick tossed her a smile and nodded his head.

“Let me give you my cellphone number, okay? If you think you found a perfect spot for me to talk to them, just let me know.”

Allegra pulled a pen out of her purse and scribbled down her number onto the back of her shopping list.

“Thanks. For everything. I’m so glad there’s someone here who can give them professional advice.”

Allegra now returned the smile. “It’s nothing, really. I better go so you can go back inside.”

Nick nodded his head and after they said goodbye, Allegra walked back to he car. She watched Nick go back inside the house and sighed. She had wanted to tell him he could call her day or night. It wasn’t something she used to say to someone she hardly knew, but after seeing how dysfunctional his family really was, she felt almost obligated to let him know he could always talk to her. If she was in his shoes, she would be happy if someone was that concerned about her.

Putting the car in gear, she drove off to her house, a safe spot without any lunatic running around, with the Carter kids on her mind. She was determined to show them the right directions in life and was willing to do anything for it. This was what she lived for, helping people in any way she possibly could. She had forgotten to say goodbye to Kenneth, but figured that was the last thing on her mind right now. Feeling incredibly tired, she stripped off her clothes and pulled on a short and a tank top, grabbing a bottle of wine with her and went upstairs to her desk, starting to write out a detailed plan for every Carter kids individually. She worked without a break until 11 pm when a new message on her cell pulled her out of her books and her laptop.

Reading it, she smiled.

“Just wanted to say thank you again for your help and I hope you have a wonderful night. Nick.”