- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
What starts out an -alright day- turns into something worse.
Anna's POV

Oh my gosh, it's Saturday! I woke up and jumped out of bed. I glanced at the clock. 12:30! Oh no! I grabbed my phone to see if I had any missed calls. Sure enough, I had one from Nick. I don't have time to talk to him right now. I need to get ready! I jumped in the shower and quickly shampooed my hair and cleaned myself. I dried myself, then put on a pair of jeans and a black tank top. I blow dried my hair very quickly, rushing, as I had to be at the mall at 1:30. I was going to meet Jennifer to look for an outfit for Prom on Friday. I don't have a date, but hey, I still need to go. It'll be loads of fun. I put on a pair of black flip flops, grabbed my purse, and threw my cellphone in.

I ran downstairs, grabbed a nutrition bar for breakfast, and ran out the door. I got into my Avalon, and drove off to the mall. "Maybe I should call Nick back, it could be something important," I said to myself. Sigh. I hated having to call him. It gives me the goose bumps everytime. If only he knew how I felt..Suddenly, my phone rang. Oh gosh. I looked at the Caller ID. Yep, it's Nick. I answered, "Hello?" "Hey, I gotta question for you." Oh boy! "Okay, shoot." I said. "Do you want a free ticket to the concert tonight?" He asked. "I go to every concert, Nick." I told him. "I know, I know, but tonight is special. I'm singing I Need You Tonight to one special person in front of the whole audience. And I really want you to be there." Wow, I thought to myself. "How do you know that person is even going?" Haha, I chuckled to myself. That would be funny if she didn't show up. I started to feel a bit jealous. Now I knew he liked someone, and I would have to deal with it."Believe me, I know she's coming." "Oh, I see, well, I don't wanna miss this. Sure, I'll be there. I'm headin' to the mall now to meet Jennifer to pick out a Prom dress. I'll have to hurry, but it'll be worth it." "Yes it will.." Nick quietly said. "What?" I questioned. He sounded suspicious.."It will be worth it. We're... singin' some.... new songs." He stammered. "Uh huh, okay, I'll be there. See ya later." I said. "Bye."

He hung up. I put my phone in my pocket and parked the car in front of JC Penny's. Hm, I wonder who this "special person" is. He hasn't met anyone knew that I know of. I spotted Jennifer waving at me. I hurried over to her. I should tell her about Nick's "special someone". "Hey, um, Jenn, I need to talk to you," I said when I got over to her. "That's what I'm here for. What's wrong?" She asked. "You know the concert tonight? Well, I'm going." I said. "That's no news, Anna. You go everytime. What's the problem? You get to see Nick, normally you're excited about that." She stopped and sat down on a bench outside of JC Penny's. "Well, he found someone." "What do you mean he found someone?" She paused. "Oh, a girl?" She asked, and gave me a serious look. "Yeah, He called on the way here and told me that I need to come tonight. He wants me to hear him sing I Need You Tonight to that special somone who he says is coming to the concert." I said. "Oh...I'm really sorry, Anna. Are you still going to go?" "Heck yeah, I wanna see him!" I exclaimed. "Hey, you never know, that "special someone" could be you." "Hahaha, yeah, in my dreams. He doesn't feel that way about me, and you know that!" "I think he does, but whatever, you don't have to agree. Let's get shoppin' for Prom!" We ran off, searching for dresses for 2 hours until we each found the perfect one. Mine was light blue and medium length, halter top. Jenn says it goes well with my blonde hair and blue eyes. I took her word for it, and bought it. Jenn's dress, on the other hand, is a black V neck, really long, dress. I have to say, she is really good at picking out fancy stuff. She found hers in the first rack we looked at. Finding my dress was what took so long. I chuckled to myself. "Wow, I can't wait till Friday. It's goin' to be so much fun!" I exclaimed. "You bet it is!" She replied. I took out my watch. 6:00. The concert starts at 7. I needed to get home, change, and eat supper before the concert. I quickly turned to Jenn and immediately she looked at her watch, knowing that I would be late. "Go, Anna! You need time to get ready! You're gonna see NICK!" I hugged her and said bye, and ran out to my car. Well, I know one thing for sure. I don't need to get all dressed up. I know the "someone" isn't me, so why bother? I picked up some Chick Fil A, and headed home.

When I got home, I ran upstairs and into my closet. I threw on some nice, black slacks and white V neck shirt along with black flats. I didn't really care tonight. I mean, yeah, I was going to see Nick, but he's my best friend. I don't need to look good for him to be my friend. He's seen me at the worst, when I've been sick and in my pj's. He doesn't care. Then, my cellphone rang. Oh boy. Lemme guess. Nick. Yep. I answered, "Hello?" "Hey, meet me at the back door, so I can give you the ticket and VIP pass." "Okay, back door. Got ya." I hung up.

The building was a good drive away from home, so I turned on the CD player, not remembering what CD was in there. Then, I listened very carefully. I turned the volume up. It was the Backstreet Boys, singing I Need You Tonight. Man, how I wish I was his lucky girl. I wanna tell him so badly how I feel, but I just can't. I could imagine the look on his face. It'll suddenly go blank, and then he'll walk away, and probably never speak to me again. I have had this feeling for him for years, ever since I first met him in 4th grade. I will always remember that day.

It was recess, April 7th, 1993. I had gone to the swings to, well, swing. I loved to swing. That's the time when I would look at all of the other kids and just think. I remember gazing at this one boy who I didn't know the name of at the time. He was so handsome. Now, in a 9 year old's mind, handsome is just pretty darn cute. Well, there were these group of kids who loved to pick on people. They were "The 5th Graders." Normally, they pick on the younger kids, but that day, my life would change. I was just swinging, minding my own business, staring at that boy, when suddenly this girl comes up to me and said, "Hey, get off my swing." I looked up and stared into those dark, evil eyes of hers. I didn't know what to say, let alone do, so I went back to what I was doing. "I said, GET OFF MY SWING!" She yelled. Then, suddenly, I was on the ground, and my stomach and back were hurting really bad. She had pushed me really hard in the stomach, and I had landed on my back, banging my head on the hard ground. I opened my eyes, and saw that girl picking up some sand, getting ready to throw it in my face, but then, out of nowhere, someone's hand grabbed her wrist and said,"Leave her alone!" It was a boy's voice. I looked up, and there I saw him. Him, as in, that boy I had laid my eyes on everyday for 3 years. Thankfully, the bell rang, and I struggled to get up. Then, the boy said,"Are you okay?" and reached out his hand to me. "I..I'm fine." I managed to say without looking up at him. "I'm Nick." He said. "I'm Anna, nice to meet you," I said, trying to act like a lady. Then, he asked, "Want to be my best friend?" I said, "Sure," and from then on, we spent everyday at recess together, and the 5th graders left us alone.

Now I am a senior in High School, and Nick, well, is a Backstreet Boy. I'm surprised we're still so close, with him being on tour, and having concerts, and not being home all the time; but that never stopped us from keeping close contact. Ah, finally here. I swerved around to the back of the building and parked. Looking around as I got out of my car, I spotted Nick. "Hey!" I yelled. He ran over to me. "Here are the tickets and VIP pass. I'll see you after the show." He winked at me and I smiled saying, "Good luck!" He waved goodbye, and I made my way to the long line in the front of the building. If you think him winking at me was a sign, believe me, it's not. He always does that. It's just his way of saying "Can't wait to see you later." Nothing big. I looked at my ticket. Front row seats. Wow, normally the tickets he gives me are at least 5 rows back. Not front row. Hmm. Maybe he wants me to see the girl who he's going to sing to. That loser..

I made my way to the front row, and realized that it was only Sound Check, so I wasn't late. I took my seat, and saw Brian and Aj setting up the mikes. I waved to them and gave them a thumbs up. They are really cool guys. I met them awhile back, at my 5th concert. They are so funny and charming, not the typical rock stars. Not conceited. Just, themselves. I spotted Leighanne, Brian's fiancee, and motioned her to come here. "Hey, Leighanne, do you know anything about Nick's 'special someone'?" I asked. Hopefully she would know something. "I know about the song, but not the certain someone. I wonder who it is. No one new has come into his life, right?" She asked. "Not that I know of, and he would tell me if someone did. It's not like him to keep it from me."I stated. "I see what you're saying, but who knows, maybe there's a reason why he's keepin' it from you." She gave me a wink. "Psh. You're just like my friend Jenn, she said that this morning. Nick does not feel that way about me! How many times do I have to say it? You guys are torturing me, I swear! You KNOW I like him, alot for that matter, and you still drown me into thinking that he feels the same way!" I exclaimed. "Anna, Jenn and I are just stating the facts. You guys are best friends, and no one new has come along, and he would tell you if someone did. You said yourself that it's not like him to keep anything from you, so maybe you're the one." Leighanne said. "Big whoop, I'm just here to hear the band sing, not get humiliated by Nick and/or think that I'm 'the one'." I said. Leighanne said, "Okay, think what you want, I gotta go see Brian. I'll see you after the show." "Bye." I said as she walked off towards the stairs.

I looked up at the stage. The only person up there was Nick. He glanced at me and smiled. I smiled back, giving him a thumbs up. Then, he made his way backstage. Now I would'nt see him until the show. Now, I could finally just sit down and relax, without having to pretend I'm happy. I mean, I am happy I'm here, but why would he want to humiliate me? Especially in front of everyone? Sigh. It's not like him..

The next thing I know the area is filled with screaming fans as the boys come onto the stage. I stood up, knowing that now I would have to act again. The first song they sang was Everybody. That song got me hyper. I was surrounded by screaming girls. I tried to make out what they were saying, but the music was too loud. I could tell the girl beside me was into Nick, since she had on a T shirt with his picture on it. I have that T shirt. Nick gave it to me for Christmas last year. I started to feel down again. I had no idea what would happen in the next 30 minutes..

Then I heard the beginning of the song I had listened too on the way here. It was time. Time to be humiliated..and the crowd was now quiet, so it was worse. Then, Nick started to speak. "I would like to dedicate this song to a special someone..."He paused."...Her name is Kaitlyn." The whole crowd started looking around, and then I saw her. A beautiful woman probably the same age as Nick, standing up about 10 seats down from me. My heart dropped. I stood up, and walked out to the aisle. I turned around and gave Nick a long look as the music continues playing. I knew it. Leighanne and Jenn were wrong. There WAS someone else, and he never told me. How could he do this to me? I ran out of the stadium as Nick started to sing, but then, right when I looked back for one last look at the man I loved, A.K.A my best friend, he stopped. He ran backstage.

I ran out towards my car as tears started to fall. My heart was offically broken. I wanted to go home. I ran for the car door. Suddenly, someone grabbed my wrist and turned me around. "What are you doing??" Nick yelled. "I'm leaving! I should have known! You wanted me to come here just so I could be humiliated! You don't even know!" I yelled back. I turned towards my car "Whoa, whoa, hold up. What don't I know?" I turned back towards him. "I thought it was obvious to you out of all people, my best friend. But I guess I was wrong." I said. I put my head down, getting ready to say the words that I had been wanting to say since the 4th grade. "Nick." I started to say. "What's wrong, Anna?" He took my hand. I put my head up. "I..I love you." Once again, I put my head down, dreading what I had just said. That was it. Our friendship was over. "Yes, I know, as a friend. I know you do." He said. He didn't understand. "No, you don't understand. It's..it's more than that. Much more." I looked up. He was looking to his right. "And I never wanted you to know...and now I know why.." I turned towards my car and started to open the door. He closed the door. "You know, all you had to do was tell me, Anna. I'm not mad. Yeah, I'm surprised, but not in a bad way. I have a confession to make. That Kaitlyn girl, I hired her to pretend to be the one I was singing for, because....'cause I backed down from wanting to sing it to the actual person." He said. He looked at me. "That doesn't help, Nick. Go on, go sing it to her! She'll be happy. She'll be lucky." I started to cry.

"I need you tonight, I need you right now..." He started to sing. "Nick, I said go sing it to the one you love! Not me! Stop humiliating me!" I cried even harder. I got into my car and put my head down on the steering wheel. His hand lifted my head up as he continued to sing. "I know, deep within my heart. It doesn't matter if its wrong, or if it's right." He paused as he looked into my eyes. "I really need you....tonight." I got out of the car, not believing anything. He took my hand. "Anna, I've always loved you. From the first day I laid eyes on you years ago. I knew you were the one. Honestly." He said softly. I looked up at him, not knowing what to say. "I...No. No. I don't believe this." I looked down. "Anna, it's really happening, and I am really saying. I love you." With that, he grabbed me and pulled me in close so that my head was on his chest. He loosened up, and we just stood there. My head was starting to hurt. I couldn't believe this. It was actually me. Leighanne and Jenn were right..

Suddenly, someone hit me on the head with something very hard. My eyes were closed, I didn't see or hear anyone coming. I fell to the ground. Nick's strong hold hadn't stopped me from falling. Nick suddenly got me up, yelling, "Anna! Anna!" I opened my eyes, but everything was a blur. "Nick," I said softly, "Help me. Nick."


(Nick's POV)
Who the hell was that?? I turned around, eyes dashing across the parking lot to see if I could see anyone running off, but there was no sign of anyone. I carefully picked Anna up and placed her in her car. I got my cellphone and called Brian. "Dude, come to the backstage parking lot now. Someone hit Anna in the head with something, and ran off, and now she's unconcious. Call 911!" With that, I hung up. Brian was out here 5 seconds later, on the phone with the ER people. AJ and Howie rushed outside and helped me carry Anna into the building. We laid her down on one of the dance mats. Brian ran in. "They're on their way."
Chapter End Notes:
Hope you liked it! I know it's short >.