- Text Size +
"Nick! C'mon, the interlude's almost over!" Kevin barked as the youngest band member loitered backstage; microphone in one hand and a bottle of water in the other. I watched Kevin roll his eyes and reach over to grab the collar of Nick's vintage t-shirt, much to Nick's dismay. He was probably daydreaming about beating Brian's high score on Play Station 2. As much as you would like to think there are better things to daydream about when you're performing for thousands of fans... Nick sometimes has the attention span of a gnat and therefore thinks about video games inbetween songs.

"Kev! What the Hell?!" Nick yelped as he stumbled backward, nearly dropping the expensive microphone. His shirt was released once he followed the pace of everyone else. He huffed under his breath and I could hear his favorite curse words follow, though it went ignored. He glanced at me with a look of contempt and I shrugged my shoulders. You went by Kevin's word or face some consequences. Just like a child with his father.

"Get your head out of the clouds. It's time to go back onstage," Kevin muttered as they followed AJ, Brian and Howie. I grabbed my camera and quietly moved into the front rows, blending with the crowd quite nicely as I began snapping photos of the famous and talented quintet. Girls screamed as their heros came into view and the men merely smiled and waved. You could see they loved their job and were born to do it.

Within moments Nick had forgotten Kevin's rough handling and began singing to the fans along with his bandmates. I easily went through the crowd, taking pictures that were more than just perfect. It was like the simple motions showed how much the men cared about each other. The smiles, the elbow nudges, wrapping an arm around the shoulders and the playful pushes. It seemed to speak more than words and it was beautiful. I guess I am a little biased since I am the Backstreet Boys tour photographer and the little sister they never had, but it's how I see it. Besides, they hired me for my photographic talents and I see art in things that others can't.

I turned around and took several photos of the fans, who would randomly group together and smile. They were having the time of their lives and it was all because of five men. Five men who loved to sing for all who would listen. Some of the fans recognized me and waved. I smiled and waved back before turning my attention towards the stage. The tone had settled down a bit as a grand piano rose from below the stage. I quickly took some photos as Kevin appeared on the bench, lightly playing a tune no one could really grasp. Kevin was always tinkering with little songs on his keyboard while on the busses and random air flights. The arena grew quiet as they listened to the oldest bandmember play the delicate song.

Brian, Howie and AJ took stools and sat around the piano, merely listening and taking a few sips of water. Nick, however, apparently decided that he would rather sit next to the man who was basically the father he never had. Without thought, he plopped down onto the bench next to Kevin, causing the man to raise an eyebrow while the others chuckled. Nick shrugged his shoulders and leaned against Kevin for a moment, as if to gather strength from the rock of the group and almost a form of an apology for his sluggish attitude backstage. A chorus of admiration filtered through the crowd as Nick placed his head against Kevin's shoulder. Even the other men looked at the bonding moment and chuckled. It was the perfect moment. I wasted no time and quickly took a picture.



Kevin saw the flash and gave me a look I immediately understood.

I want a copy of that.

Smiling softly, I nod and he smiles in return as Nick continued to stay in that position for a moment before the introduction to Incomplete began to play.

It was moments like these that made me feel blessed to be working for such an amazing group.