- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Was working on this again, and figured I could post another chapter, since I'm still ahead. Enjoy!

Disclaimer: Only own Riley Mae/Kylie Kay/Carly & story idea. Disney owns everything Hannah Montana. Thank-you!

Later that night, while everyone lie asleep, one person was awake and quietly moving about the bus like an old pro. She was pretty good at stealthily moving about in the dark, as she was used to sneaking out. Only, this time she wasn’t just sneaking out and coming back later. This time, she was sneaking out and never coming back.

“I’ll miss you,” the voice whispered, as she stared at her brother tearfully. The two of them were like peas in a pod at times, especially since her twin was always so busy. She choked back her sob, grabbed up her guitar, and snuck off the bus after making sure the letter she’d left was set on the kitchen table.

“Of all nights for them to park the bus, so the driver can get some rest,” she sighed, eyeing the bus one last time, before turning and heading into the darkness – refusing to look back anymore. She was going to start a new life – a life where she wouldn’t constantly be ragged on, and told to keep it quiet. A life where she could freely express herself, and share it with the world. A life, that didn’t break her heart more than it’d already been broken.

Early the next morning, Miley awoke and headed out to the kitchen to get a drink. She got herself a glass of milk, before going and sitting at the table, not noticing the note upon it until then. She recognized her sister’s handwriting immediately, and skimmed through it briefly. Realizing just what the note was, she dropped her glass to the floor.

“JACKSON!!!!!!” Miley screamed.

Jackson came stumbling out of his bunk, his hair askew. “Miles, what is it?”

“She’s gone Jackson! She’s gone!”

“What’re you talking about? Who’s gone?”

“Riley!”

“Riles?” Jackson frowned. “Where’d she go?”

“I don’t know!” Miley cried. “She just left us a note.”

Jackson went over to his baby sister and took the note from her, reading it over for himself.

Dear Miles & Jackson,

I’m sorry it’s come to this, I really am. But I see no other way for it to be. In order for us all to be happy, I have to leave and move on. I love you guys, and I always will, but this is just something I have to do. I want to be happy, and I can’t be that, when Daddy’s there bringing me down all the time. I need to be where I can breathe, and smile, and play my guitar, without my heart being broken any more than it’s already been. I wish I could’ve brought you both with me, but I can’t ask for you to give up being Hannah, Miles. I just can’t. Not when I know just how much it means to you, and how happy it makes you. And Jackson, well, someone has to be there to keep all those creepazoids away from Miles!

And please, don’t be too mad at Daddy. I know none of us understand him anymore, or really know who he has become; but I do know that he loved Momma very much, and it’s because of him missing her, that he is this way. Least, from what I gathered last night, losing Momma has something to do with it. But, hey, what do I know? I’m not the brightest crayon in the box here – I’m the one who does as she pleases, no matter what the consequences.

And I am truly sorry I got y’all grounded, for letting me be Hannah for a night. I can never thank you both enough for that. For one night, my dreams came true. And if that is the only night I get, well, I’m glad I got to share it with you.

Again, I love you both and will miss you dearly!

Love always,Riley Mae

P.S. Tell Oliver I love him, & will call him when I get a chance!

Jackson grit his teeth together, as their father came out of the bathroom. “Why you-you-you!” He stuttered angrily. “This is all your fault!”

“What is all my fault now, son?” Robbie asked, rolling his eyes slightly.

“She left because of you!” Jackson snarled. “Because you couldn’t stand to look at her or hear her sing! Because you broke her heart, by not loving her the way a father should!”

“What in the world are you talking about, boy?” Robbie wanted to know, looking confused beyond belief.

“She’s gone!” Miley exclaimed, tears in her eyes, and her voice on the verge of cracking. “Riles is gone because of you!”

“What do you mean gone?” Robbie demanded, his eyes narrowing. “Where is she?”

“How should we know?” Jackson snapped. “All we got was a note!”

Robbie frowned, as he took the note from Jackson, ignoring Miley as she brushed past him to go cry in private. He read the note, and slammed it down on the table when he was finished. “That girl!” He growled. “She’s really outdone herself this time!”

“So this is her fault?!?” Jackson said, in disbelief. “You continually break her heart, and when she finally has had enough and leaves, you blame her for it?!?”

“If she doesn’t want to be here with us, then so be it,” Robbie stated. “Right now, Hannah has a tour to do. We’ve no time to be gallivanting around trying to find her.”

“Dagnabit, Dad!” Jackson yelled. “She is your daughter, or have you forgotten that!? You used to love her, just as much as you love Miley! What happened?”

“Your mother died, that is what happened!” Robbie exclaimed. “Your mother died, because she went to get her from an audition! Your mother took her to an audition, ran across the street to the store, and on the way back was killed by a drunk driver! That is what happened, Jackson!”

“So, you blame Riley, for something that wasn’t even her fault,” Jackson stated softly. “Dad, she was six years-old at the time! She didn’t know Mom was going to get hurt; Mom always ran errands while her or Miley were at auditions. It wasn’t anybody’s fault, except for that driver.”

“And to top it off, she didn’t even get a part in the thing she tried out for!” Robbie ranted. “I’d told them I didn’t think they ought to go to that one! I knew nothing good could come of it! But because she cried, and pulled her little pitiful whiney card, your mother went ahead and took her, and ended up dead because of it!”

“You can’t keep blaming her, Dad,” Jackson told him. “It’s just not right.”

“I can do whatever I please,” Robbie replied. “And I can blame whoever I’d like as well.”

“Whatever,” Jackson shrugged. “But I’m going to go find her and bring her back.”

No, you are not,” Robbie stated. “If she doesn’t want to be here and follow my rules, then she can stay out there and quit bringing disaster to our lives.”

“I’m going to pretend I didn’t just hear you say that,” Jackson responded. “Because I know somewhere deep down, you still love Riley and want her here. And I will look for her all that I please, because she is my sister and I love her very much.”

Robbie scowled, as he watched his oldest child turn his back on him and walk away. He was furious that his children were now all turning their backs on him, when he’d been sure to provide them with food, clothes, and a home – and for some, love.

Jackson found Miley hidden in her bunk, crying. He knew how she felt, as he wanted to cry too, but somebody had to stay strong and sane in this family – and if it had to be him, then so be it.

“Hey, don’t cry,” he said softly, sitting next to her and pulling her into a hug. “She’ll be back.”

“You don’t know that, Jackson!” Miley snapped slightly. “For all we know, she could go out and do something stupid, and all because Daddy refuses to quit blaming her for something that wasn’t her fault!”

“So, you heard everything,” Jackson sighed.

“Yeah, I did,” Miley replied. “It’s kind of hard not to, when on a tour bus.”

“I’ll find her Miles,” Jackson assured her. “Don’t you worry none, alright? You just go on being Hannah, and doing what you love. Don’t go letting all those young girls down because of this, alright? I’ll take care of it. I promise.”

“You know, Riley was right about you,” Miley managed to smile. “You are a pretty good brother when you want to be.”

Jackson gave a small laugh. “Yeah, and you can be a pretty good sister too – when you want to be, of course.”

Miley giggled softly, and gave him another hug, glad to have at least him there during their family crisis. “And you know, I just knew she liked Oliver! It’s about time she admit it!”

Jackson shook his head. “Girls,” was all he said.