- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Figured I could update, since this story is nominated in the Felix Awards - Yay! Enjoy!

Disclaimer: Only own Riley Mae/Kylie Kay/Carly/Trixie Dixon & story idea. Disney owns everything Hannah Montana. The song <i>Just A Girl</i> belongs to Miley Cyrus/Hannah Montana. Thank-you!

The next day, Trixie Dixon was preparing to go on Oprah’s show for the very first time. At the moment, she was reminding herself to breathe, as she was getting a bit more than a tad nervous.  

“Relax girl,” she muttered to herself. “You’ve gone out as Hannah, so why is this any different?” 

She shook herself off, as an inner voice spoke. Because this time it’s your stuff that’s going to be heard – not Hannah’s! 

She groaned, as she went over to her guitar and began to tune it out of habit. “I’m never going to get through this,” she fretted. “God, how am I to sing for the world, when I can’t even perform on the Oprah Winfrey show? Yeesh! Get a grip!” 

“Two minutes!” A voice called out, signaling her that it was time to move closer to the stage. 

“Up next is an up and coming star, Trixie Dixon!” Oprah informed the audience. 

Trixie gulped, as she made her way out onto the stage with her trusty blue guitar, she hugged Oprah, then waved to the crowd before taking a seat – failing to notice a certain someone amongst the crowd. 

“It’s nice to see you again, Trixie,” Oprah smiled.  

“It’s nice to see you again too,” Trixie grinned in return. She wore a pair of faded old blue jeans, and an old school Backstreet Boys baby doll tee.  

“A Backstreet Boys fan, I see,” Oprah acknowledged. 

Trixie laughed softly. “Yeah, I’m a huge fan. I’m all for Nick Carter.” 

The audience laughed some, though some of them had no idea just as to who Nick Carter was. 

“So, how long have you been performing?” Oprah wanted to know, changing the subject. 

“Since as far back as I can remember,” Trixie told her. “I swear all my memories have to do with music and acting in at least some small way.” 

“So music is very significant in your life?” Oprah asked.  

“Very much so,” Trixie nodded. “My whole family can sing – well, except my brother. It seems the musical gene skipped him, and graced my sister and me instead.” 

Oprah gave a small laugh. “So who taught you to play?” 

“My Daddy,” Trixie replied, after a moment’s pause. “My Mom helped me with my singing though. She was great at being super supportive. I think she may’ve even been my number one fan.” 

“You say may’ve been, did something happen to her?” Oprah interrogated, watching Trixie closely. 

“Um…she died when I was six,” Trixie admitted softly. “She’d gone to run an errand while I was at an audition, and was hit by a drunk driver on her way back.” 

The audience could be heard gasping them, at the thought of such a tragedy happening. 

“I’m sorry to hear that,” Oprah said, blinking back the tears in her own eyes. “You don’t blame yourself, do you?” 

“No,” Trixie spoke quietly. “Though, I’m slowly starting to think some might. But thanks to my brother, I know it wasn’t my fault. There was nothing I could’ve done, and it was just a bad twist of fate.” 

“It seems you and your brother, are very close,” Oprah observed. “Is he younger or older than you?” 

“Older,” Trixie smiled. “And we are very close. I tell him everything. He might as well be my walking, talking diary.” 

“Well, that’s wonderful,” Oprah commented. “It’s not often you hear a girl say she tells her brother everything.” 

Trixie laughed. “Yeah, well, sometimes I tell him too much, and he gets all grossed out by it. But, he’s still a great listener when I need him to be.” 

“Are you close to your sister? You did say you had one, right?” 

“Yeah, her and I are close,” Trixie nodded. “We’re closer than one might think.” 

“I think it’s great that you’re so close to your siblings. Is she younger or older?” 

“Younger,” Trixie answered. “But sometimes, if I didn’t know any better, I’d say she was the older one. She sure likes to act like it.” 

Everyone laughed, as they cut to a commercial break. Upon returning, Oprah continued her questioning. 

“So do you write your own music?” 

“Yes, I do,” Trixie rejoined. “I’ve written quite a few over the years, and have been dying to be able to play them for the world.” 

“Well, now is your chance,” Oprah said. “Which song are you going to sing for us today?” 

“Um… It’s one I just recently wrote, called Just A Girl,” Trixie responded. “It might not be perfect, but at the moment, it’s the one I truly want to sing.” 

Oprah nodded, and backed off stage as Trixie took a seat on the stool that’d been placed onstage for her – all the other furniture now gone. 

Trixie got settled, then began to strum her guitar a bit, before letting her voice ring out. 

“Finally, I've been waitin' for this moment, for you to see, the real me,” she began.  “It's been an illusion, I never meant to fool you; I got caught up in a fantasy…” 

She glanced out at the crowd, as she continued on. 

“I’m just a girl, with a dream that got the best of me. In a world, that believes fame is everything. Got outta touch, with the ones who gave me my wings to fly, to fly,” she sang, emotion ringing true in her voice. “People say, that the world is like a stage. They’re so confused, the rules I play. I been away from home for so long; that I, I almost forgot where I belong. Ye-eah…” 

She kept singing, unaware that one person in particular was listening very carefully to the words she sang, from his seat in the crowd. 

“I’m just a girl, with a dream that got the best of me. In a world that believes fame is everything. Got outta touch, with the ones who gave me my wings to fly, to fly.” She closed her eyes, trying to hide the tears that were now threatening to fall.  “It’s so easy to forget what really matters in this life. It’s so hard to live with regrets but a promise I will try, to be a better me from now on. I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to do you wrong…” 

She opened her eyes once more, as she finished up her song. 

“I’m just a girl, with a dream that got the best of me. In a world that believes fame is everything. Got outta touch, with the ones who gave me my wings to fly, to fly; to fly, to fly.” She wiped away the few tears that had managed to fall, then continued playing her guitar. You gave me my wings so I can fly, I can fly. Yeah, Yeah… I’m just a girl…”   

The audience gave her a standing ovation, as Oprah handed her a Kleenex.  

Trixie wiped her eyes, before giving a slight bow. “Thank-you,” she told them.  

“That was beautiful,” Oprah complimented. “Does it hold any true meaning to you?” 

“It might,” Trixie answered casually.  

“Well, that was our show folks!” Oprah announced a moment later. “I’d like to thank our guests today, Will Smith and Trixie Dixon!” 

Trixie gave everyone an awkward little wave, still not quite believing she’d just performed on the Oprah Winfrey show – or that she’d met Will Smith earlier on that day.  

Once the taping of the show was over, and it was just the live audience viewing, Oprah turned to Trixie. 

“I’ve a little surprise for you, before you disappear on me again,” Oprah told her. “It seems someone you hold near and dear is here today – only he asked to not be shown on national television. He said he’d prefer to keep a low profile.” 

“Someone’s here for me?” Trixie repeated in disbelief. “But no one knows I’m…” 

“I know,” a voice spoke then, causing Trixie to whirl about in surprise. 

Jackson?!?!” Trixie exclaimed, her eyes wide in surprise. 

“Surprise,” Jackson grinned. “I told you I’d be the first in line.” 

“Oh my God!” Trixie squealed, tackling him in a hug. “It’s really you!” 

“Well, of course it’s really me,” Jackson laughed, hugging her back. “Who else would catch a flight out here so quick?” 

“So, I’m guessing this is the brother you spoke of?” Oprah queried curiously. 

“The one and only!” Trixie grinned excitedly. “Oh my God! I can’t believe you’re actually here!” 

“Yeah, well, if I hadn’t caught the end of the show while channel surfing yesterday, I wouldn’t have been,” Jackson admitted. “You’re just lucky I happened to take note of something blue.” 

Trixie looked a little sheepish then. “Well, I didn’t want to risk anyone else coming…” 

“I don’t know if I quite believe that excuse, but it’ll do,” Jackson replied, hugging her close once more. “Now, what do you say we get on out of here and get some lunch?” 

“Thank-you so much, Oprah!” Trixie said, as she grabbed up her guitar. “I really appreciated this. You’ve no idea.” 

“I’m sure I do,” Oprah nodded. “Go on and have fun. And be sure to come on back, you hear?” 

“Oh, we will! Trust me!” Trixie nodded. “Soon as I cut my first single, we’ll be here faster than you can say Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious!” 

Oprah laughed. “See you then Trixie.” 

Trixie waved as her and Jackson headed on out of the building. Once outside, they disappeared into someplace private, where Trixie could remove her wig and stash it in her guitar case. 

“Imagine my surprise when I saw your face on television yesterday,” Jackson commented, once she was herself again. “Though, like I said, if it weren’t for your guitar, I probably wouldn’t have even recognized you.” 

“Well, that’s a good thing, isn’t it?” Riley asked. “I mean, if I were easily recognizable, we’d run into some problems then, wouldn’t we?” 

“Yeah, we would,” Jackson agreed. “But still.” 

“I’m sorry I never called you,” Riley apologized. “I was just – I don’t know. I was scared you’d talk me into coming back before I was ready.” 

“And are you ready now?” Jackson wanted to know. 

“Did you hear the lyrics of my song?” Riley countered.  

“So, is that a yes then?” 

“Sort of,” Riley sighed. “I mean, I’m ready, but then I’m not, you know?” 

“Still some soul searching to do?” 

“Yeah,” Riley nodded. “I finally realized just why Daddy hates me so much. Least, I think I finally thought of the right reason.” 

“Well, it’s a wrong reason, no matter how right you may be,” Jackson replied curtly. “I made sure to give him an earful too. And if Miles has her way, she’ll be giving him an earful about it as well.” 

“How is Miles?” 

“Miserable without you there by her side,” Jackson answered. “She misses you, Riles. At least call her sometime, so she doesn’t feel totally unloved here, alright?” 

“I wanted to call her, but was scared Daddy’d pick up her phone,” Riley admitted. “If he did, I’d prolly have gone into panic mode or something then.” 

“Well, no worries sis,” Jackson smiled. “I’m sure Miles is gonna keep her phone at close range from now on – prolly even when she’s performing as Hannah as well.” 

Riley smirked. “Daddy’s gonna love that.” 

“Well, it’s his own fault for pushing you away,” Jackson replied. “If he hadn’t pushed you away and caused you to run, then Hannah wouldn’t need her cell phone on her during a show, in hopes of hearing from you.” 

“You make a valid point,” Riley agreed. “How is Hannah doing?” 

“Hannah’s a great actress when she wants to be,” Jackson sighed. “This is sort of a good thing, as the world doesn’t have a clue about how upset she is right now. She seems to have mastered the ‘fake a smile and go on with life’ look.”  

“You’re making me feel bad,” Riley frowned. “I didn’t want to upset her, but I had to get away for awhile, Jackson. If I’d stayed any longer, I would’ve done things I’d regret.” 

“I know that, and she knows that too, Riles,” Jackson assured her. “But it still doesn’t make it hurt any less.” 

Riley sighed heavily, resting her head upon her brother’s shoulder as they walked along the streets of Chicago. “I’m sorry.” 

“Hey, enough of that right now,” Jackson told her. “You and I are going to go have some lunch, then find something fun to do in this here city. We might as well make the best of it, right?” 

“You get the best of both worlds,” Riley sang jokingly. “Chill it out, take it slow, then you rock out the show.” 

Jackson rolled his eyes. “Some days, I don’t know about you. I swear you had to have been born funny.” 

“Some days, I could say the same about you,” Riley laughed, lifting her head off his shoulder and grabbing his hand instead. 

Jackson said nothing, allowing it for once. There would be no harm in letting her hold his hand, in a city where no one even knew either of them existed. So long as she was happy right then, then he was more than willing to make the brotherly sacrifice.