- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

A.N.: Wow. Been so long since I've updated anything on here, I actually almost forgot how too! Lol. Enjoy!

Disclaimer: Only own Riley Mae/Kylie Cyrus, & story idea. Disney owns Hannah Montana, & it's characters. Taylor Swfit owns the song Come In With The Rain. Thank-you!

After having had sat on the beach for a little longer than they should’ve, having their little heart-to-heart, Jackson and Riley finally headed home. Neither were too surprised to discover their father was already home and awaiting their arrival. No sooner had they walked in the front door, than had he turned on them angrily.

 

“Just where have you two been?” Robbie demanded, eyeing them both warily. “You should’ve been home an hour ago!”

 

“It’s my fault, Dad,” Jackson piped up immediately. “I needed someone to talk to about something, so I made Riles come with me. She tried to come home earlier, but I wouldn’t let her.”

 

“Just don’t let it happen again,” Robbie ordered Jackson. “Or you just may end up grounded yourself, young man.”

 

“Yes, Sir,” Jackson replied obediently. “It won’t happen again. Promise.”

 

“As for you, young lady,” Robbie continued, turning his gaze upon Riley. “Aren’t you supposed to be grounded to your room?”

 

“Yeah….” Riley trailed off.

 

“Well, don’t you think you’d best get on up there and start that homework of yours? We’ve places to be in two hours!” Robbie stated. “Hannah Montana has appearances to make, and I’m not leaving you here alone!”

 

“No, I’ll just end up in the car alone instead,” Riley muttered as she headed for the stairs.

 

“What was that, young lady?” Robbie cast her a glare.

 

“Nothing Daddy,” Riley replied sweetly, giving him her most angelic, though fake, smile. “I’ll be upstairs in my room if you need me, Daddy.”

 

“That’s more like it,” Robbie stated, before picking up his guitar again and going over things for Hannah Montana with Miley once more.

 

Riley shook her head sadly, after casting her brother a hurt look, and hurried on upstairs to her shared room. She was fifteen, yet her father wouldn’t even leave her home alone for a few hours. What did he think she’d do? Throw a party, that contained her and Oliver alone, or what? One could only wish for that.

 

She sighed heavily, as she dropped her knapsack to the floor and fell onto her bed in a heap, after closing the bedroom door. She had thought the day would never end, and at the rate it was currently going, it never would!

“Hannah Montana wins again,” she muttered bitterly. “Meanwhile, I get to do glorious homework that is so freakin’ easy, it’s ridiculous!”

 

Riley lie there for a few minutes more, before finally getting up and deciding she’d best start on her homework, if only to keep her father out of her hair for one night at least. As she sat there trying to do her math, her eyes kept sliding over to glance at her blue acoustic guitar that sat on its stand, looking as abandoned as she currently felt. After casting it one more longing glance, she resumed finishing up her math homework. As badly as she wanted to play her guitar, she knew her father would come storming up the moment he heard it, and scream at her about it. Apparently, she wasn’t allowed to play it anymore, unless he wasn’t around to hear.

 

Soon enough, it was time to go, and Riley piled into the awaiting limo with Hannah Montana and Robbie Ray. She sat as far away from them as possible, and opened up the notebook she had brought with her. She’d made it look like she’d actually brought homework with her, though she really hadn’t. She’d finished it up an hour ago, but knew her father would never believe her, so she did her best to make it look like she was still working.

 

“Now, you make sure you’re not seen at all while in this car, do you hear me, young lady?” Robbie demanded, as he eyed his middle child, who appeared to be studying. “Because if you’re seen, everyone will think Miley was out with Hannah Montana, and that just wouldn’t go over well at all.”

 

Riley rolled her eyes behind her text book. “Should’ve made me wear a wig then, shouldn’t have you…” She muttered just under her breath.

 

“Cool it Riley Mae,” Robbie ordered briskly, as the car finally came to a stop outside a television station, where Hannah Montana was making an appearance that evening. “Now, stay low!”

 

Riley sighed in annoyance, as she expertly dropped to the floor, so she was lying on it, and not visible from the outside. “Happy, Daddy?” She asked with a tight smile.

 

“As a clam,” Robbie remarked, as him and Hannah climbed on out, smiles upon their faces.

 

Riley shook her head, as the car door slammed shut and the limo drove off, with her still inside of it. This was routine now for her. Lie on the floor and get a free ride, while making sure to stay hidden from the rest of the world. Though, this was one of the rare times where she actually got to be herself – Riley Mae.

 

“One of these days, the world is going to know me,” Riley declared softly. “And they won’t give a rat’s behind about Hannah Montana!”

 

She closed her eyes, willing back her tears. “What is wrong with me? I love Miles, and I’m happy for her. And I’m Hannah’s biggest fan, yet I can’t show it. Why do I have to be such a jealous freak? Why?”

 

She lie her head down upon her arms, which were crossed over in front of her. She stayed like that for a few minutes, humming softly to herself, before picking her head back up, grabbing a pen, and beginning to write in her notebook.

 

I could go back to every laugh
But I don't want to go there anymore

And I know all the steps up to your door

But I don't want to go there anymore

Talk to the wind, talk to the sky

Talk to the man with the reasons why

And let me know what you find

I'll leave my window open
Cause I'm too tired tonight

To call your name

Just know I'm right here hoping

You'll come in with the rain

 

Riley paused long enough to stare up at the ceiling and think briefly, as she chewed on her pen cap. She hadn’t written anything in a long while, for fear of it being found, and Hannah Montana stealing her work and getting credit for it. As it was, that’d already happened once, despite her angry protests.

 

I could stand up and sing you a song
But I don't want to have to go that far and I

I've got you down, I know you by heart

And you don't even know where I start

Talk to yourself, talk to the tears

Talk to the man who put you here

Don't wait for the sky to clear

I'll leave my window open
Cause I'm too tired tonight

To call your name

Just know I'm right here hoping

You'll come in with the rain

She sang the words softly, as she wrote them down. She wanted it to sound good and not cheesy or something horrible like that.

 

I've watched you so long
Screamed your name

I don't know what else

I can say

But I'll leave my window open
Cause I'm too tired tonight

For all these games

Just know I'm right here hoping

You'll come in with the rain

I could go back to every laugh
But I don't want to go there

Anymore...

“Because it’s much too painful,” she muttered to herself, capping her pen once she’d written the last word to her latest piece of work. “Good times are supposed to remain good times. All our good times do, is make me cry and miss what once was – and will never be again.”

She closed her eyes, forcing her unwanted tears back, silently cursing herself for being so weak. Why, oh, why did she have to be the overly sensitive one? Why? She swallowed the lump that was now in her throat, before stuffing her notebook inside of her text book and shoving it underneath her for protection. The last thing she needed was for her father to find the song she’d just written.

An hour later, Hannah and Robbie climbed back into the limo, only to find Riley sound asleep on its floor, snoring softly.

“That girl,” Robbie began, shaking his head. “She’s never going to get through school if this is how she studies.”

“Daddy, just let her be,” Hannah stated. “She’s had a long day, and she’d a rough night.”

“Rough night,” Robbie scoffed. “I bet the girl was sneaking around with some boy.”

“Daddy!” Hannah exclaimed softly. “She was not sneaking around with some boy!”

“And just how do you know this?” Robbie demanded.

“Because she was in bed with me,” Hannah stated matter-of-factly, as she lovingly dropped the blanket she always brought with her, over her sister.

“You girls are getting just a little too old for that,” Robbie commented.

Hannah rolled her eyes, as she leaned back in her seat again. “Daddy, we’re girls. It’s what girls do.”

“Well, Hannah better watch her eye rolling,” Robbie told her. “Otherwise, the world is going to find out that Hannah Montana gets grounded too.”

Hannah rolled her eyes once more, as she turned away from her father to look out the window at all the street lights and such. Some days, her father grated on her nerves, and others he was the greatest person in the world. Right now, he was grating ever so slightly.