- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Yes, me again. Apparently my muse for this story has returned. In two days, I've written three & a quarter chapters - Wow! Lol. Enjoy!

Disclaimer: Only own Riley Mae/Kylie Kay/Carly, & story idea. Disney owns Hannah Montana. Thank-you!

School was finally out, and summer vacation had begun! Miley and Jackson had passed all their classes, and Riley – well, she’d passed a couple, but the others weren’t as great thus making her father furious with her even more so than before. Though she protested to it, he’d hired a tutor for her for the duration of the Hannah Montana tour, seeing as she was being forced to tag along.

At the current moment, Riley was secretly watching her sister perform live, from the sidelines backstage. She knew she wasn’t supposed to be anywhere near the stage during the concerts, but she needed to be. This may be as close as she ever got to living out her dreams – despite what Jackson may’ve told her before. She knew she shouldn’t let anyone come between her and her dream – not even her father or her sister, but still. Part of her was afraid if she went out and actually did it, they’d hate her for it – especially if she ended up better liked than Hannah Montana.

“Hey, Kiddo,” Jackson smiled, as he approached her. He’d seen her sneakily head for the stage, glad for once their father hadn’t caught her in doing so. “Enjoying the show?”

“Yeah,” Riley sighed.

“But you’d enjoy it even more if you were out there with her, wouldn’t you?”

“Why ask me questions you already know the answers to, Jackson? You know I wish more than anything, that, that was me out there.”

“I know,” Jackson replied, draping an arm over her shoulders. “And one day, it will be Riles. And when it is, know that I’ll be first in line to see it.”

“Thanks,” Riley smiled, hugging her brother tight. At times, she didn’t know what she’d do without Jackson. He was her voice of reason, especially as of late.

“So how’s them classes of yours going with that tutor?”

“I aced everything she gave me, yet Daddy insists I do schoolwork all summer anyway. He says it’s to make up for my poor grades on my report card.”

Jackson chuckled as she rolled her eyes. “That’d be Dad for you. Though, if you aced everything, then shouldn’t that mean you don’t need her anymore?”

“One would think that, yeah,” Riley nodded. “But what Daddy says goes – no matter how much I hate him for it.”

“Well, at least you don’t hafta be Kylie around here,” Jackson pointed out.

No,” Riley spoke bitterly. “Now, I have to be Carly, Lola’s sister and Hannah’s other best friend. And even then, still nobody is allowed to know I exist more than necessary.”

“Now, now, don’t you go sounding so bitter,” Jackson smirked. “I think our little Hannah has a surprise in the works for you anyway, so just chill, and wait it out.”

“Why? What’s she up to now?” Riley demanded, eyeing her brother warily.

“Nothing, nothing,” Jackson winked.

“Oh, c’mon Jackson! You can’t give me the popcorn without the butter!”

“Sure I can, and I have,” Jackson laughed, as he turned to walk away once more. “And if I were you, I’d best scat before Dad comes and finds me here.”

“Yeah, yeah,” Riley waved him off. “After this song.”

“Fine, but I can only keep Dad away for so long.”

“I know, and I appreciate it,” Riley replied. “I’ll head back to the dressing room right after this song. Promise.”

“Only looking out for you, Riles.”

Jackson!” Riley hissed.

“Oh, relax. There’s nobody around right now,” Jackson stated. “Nobody can hear us over the music anyway. Now, enjoy that song and skedaddle.”

“Aye, Captain,” Riley smirked, shaking her head at him.

Jackson nodded, then headed off to distract their father a little while longer.

Later that night, the girls were both in the hotel room that they were sharing, as it’s what they were used to doing anyway.

“So, did you enjoy the show?” Miley wanted to know.

“What do you mean? I wasn’t anywhere near the stage,” Riley lied. “It isn’t allowed.”

“That isn’t what I heard,” Miley smirked. “Besides, I saw you.”

Riley gave a sheepish grin. “Okay, so I peeked for awhile,” she admitted. “But it’s kinda hard not to, when the stage is right there!”

“So, what did you think?” Miley asked again. “What set did you think was best?”

“It was great!” Riley exclaimed. “As for which set, well, I kinda like it best when you just sit there and play your guitar. I know you need to dance and interact with the fans too, but I still think the best song is one where you can just sit and strum your guitar.”

“Really?” Miley said, looking surprised. “I always thought you’d like the flashy stuff like everyone else.”

“Well, I’m not like everyone else, now am I?” Riley countered. “Nobody else can say they’re Hannah Montana’s twin sister.”

Miley laughed. “Speaking of which, did Jackson tell you I’ve an idea?”

“He said so, in a, I’m not really saying so, sort of way,” Riley replied, rolling her eyes slightly. “So, are you going to clue me in?”

“I was thinking, if you learned my dances, you and I could switch places for a night,” Miley informed her, a sly smile on her face. “I mean, you already know all the songs by heart, and we’ve already got the look taken care of easily. All you’d have to do is know where to be at and when on stage, and for one night, you could be Hannah Montana, and I could just sit back and enjoy the show from behind the scenes.”

Riley’s jaw just about hit the floor. “Really? You’d let me be Hannah for a night? And you’d put up with Daddy yelling at you all the time?”

“Sure,” Miley nodded. “I mean, I know how much you’ve wanted to get out on that stage. I know you Riles – even if you always confide in Jackson, I can sense just how much you want to be out there with me. I am your twin, after all. So, do you wanna switch places for a night?”

“Do I wanna switch? Of course I wanna switch!” Riley cried. “I’ll finally get to sing that song I wrote, that Hannah stole.”

“And I told you, I’m sorry about that, a zillion times now,” Miley sighed. “It’s not my fault Daddy found it, and decided it was to be mine.”

“I know, I know,” Riley shook her head. “But still. For one night, it’s truly mine.”

“Well, c’mon then,” Miley said, standing up. “Let’s turn some Hannah music on, and I’ll show you the moves. Some though, well, you’re just gonna hafta trust the other dancers on it. And maybe we’ll sneak you into a couple rehearsals, so you can get used to them. No one will know the difference anyway.”

“This is gonna be fu-un!” Riley squealed excitedly. “I can’t believe I’m gonna get to be Hannah Montana!”

“Which isn’t something anyone else, other than me, will ever get to say,” Miley pointed out. “So enjoy it, because this opportunity may only knock once.”

Riley laughed, hugging her twin tightly. “Have I told you how much I love you recently?”

“Recently? No,” Miley laughed as well. “But I’ll take what I can get.”