- Text Size +
“You’re kidding, right? This is a joke?”

Nick Carter threw the file folder down with such force that its top-secret contents spilled across the meticulously clean desktop. If you looked closely enough, you would have seen the muscles under Agent K’s jaw clench ever so slightly. Otherwise, he remained completely calm during the interruption.

Kevin’s eyes fell to the clutter, and then up to the office door, where a nervous secretary was now leaning against the frame to catch his breath. “I’m sorry, Sir. I know you said no interruptions, but as much as I would love being on the receiving end of some manly brute force, Agent Carter scares me when he’s really angry.”

Agent Littrell of the CIA eyed the man curiously and was about to say something when Agent Jay subtly shook his head, suggesting it wasn’t worth the effort. Brian looked curiously at his cousin and was amazed to see the corners of his mouth twitching as if he were trying not to break out into a smile. “It’s alright, Mr. Lancybassy. I somewhat expected him. Just try and keep everyone else out.”

“Okie-dokie, boss, cross my heart!”

Lancy smiled and winked Brian’s direction as he practically skipped out of the room. Once the door was securely shut behind him, Kevin calmly scooped up the loose papers and placed them neatly back in the folder. “I never joke about work, 008.”

AJ and Brian looked at each other and giggled, thinking that Kevin had no idea just how true that statement was, until Kevin met them with a glare that sent chills up their spines. Nick followed his boss’s gaze and met Brian with a look of pure hatred. “Boss, you can’t trust the US government.”

Brian looked into Nick’s icy blue eyes, and the fire on his short fuse was now officially lit. “Excuse me?”

“I don’t think I need to repeat myself, but just in case your hearing is as good as your judgment, I said the US fucking government are a bunch of selfish, lying bastards, and I wouldn’t trust you with that weapon any more than I trust a terrorist ring. Hell, I’m not sure there’s much of a difference between the two.”

Brian’s knuckles went white as he clenched his fists tight enough to turn coal into diamonds. “This is the kind of person you’re trusting the fate of the world with? Kev, I respect the hell out of you, man, but there’s a reason you and I are not on the same team.”

“Damn right, there’s a reason! Lucky for us, the gene pool is pretty broad in your family.”

“Nick!” Kevin hissed. “You will get control of yourself right now, or you will find yourself without a job.”

Nick literally forced his teeth sharply into his tongue to keep it from running away from him, but he was still so angry that he jumped when AJ placed a supportive hand on his shoulder. Kevin also placed a hand on his cousin’s shoulder. “Different styles, but one purpose. That puts us on the same team. You are both exceptional agents, and I expect you to set aside your personal issues and find that missing weapon.”

Nick and Brian continued to stare one another down, and Kevin was quickly reaching his boiling point. “Now,” he grumbled, “would be nice.”

AJ forced a smile to the man he only trusted because K trusted him. “Why don’t you head down to the lab; we’ve already got someone working on it. With any luck, she’s cracked the system already.”

Brian headed for the door, making no mature effort to miss Nick as he passed. Nick felt the force of The Rok smash into his shoulder, and he quickly whirled around to confront the smaller man, but AJ wisely stepped in his way and grabbed hold of his punching arm. “Let’s go for a walk, kid,” he said, practically dragging Nick out of Kevin’s office.

AJ strolled lightheartedly down the hallway, but never loosened his grip on Nick’s arm. They were just about to find sanctuary in AJ’s office when they ran into Shazam. He smirked when he saw that Nick was agitated and ignored the warning look AJ gave him. “So, 008, I heard your first mission back went so well that they’re letting the CIA baby-sit you. They can’t even spare Diamond this time around; that’s too bad, man. Better luck next time.”

AJ felt Nick’s arm harden in his hand, and he could have held him back, but he’d never really cared much for JC’s sparkling personality, and he figured better him now than Brian later, so he let go. The moment Nick was free, his fist connected with JC’s face, sending him flying back against the wall. Nick didn’t stop to admire the damage he’d done to the pretty face, and he barely herd the muffled, “What the fuck, Carter!” as he stormed into AJ’s office and plopped into the chair behind the desk.

AJ shut the door behind him and the moment it was secure, he burst into laughter. “Dude, if anyone asks, I tried my best to hold you back.”

Nick sat for a moment, wanting to brood in peace, but watching his so-called “boss” crack up over the interoffice violence forced an unwanted smirk to appear on his face. AJ smiled when he saw it and took on a more serious attitude. “Got it out of your system now, man? Because you’re already on thin ice, and shit like that is not the best way to prove that you’re ready to be back.”

Nick let go a long sigh of frustration. “You know I can handle it. This ain’t about that.”

“I know you can. I am the one that assigned you this case.”

“Then why the CIA?”

“Hell, I don’t know. Personally, the guy creeps me out with all the smiling and the ‘pleases’ and ‘thank-you’s.’ And that damn accent! I had to listen to Emerald blab on for an hour about ‘that hot CIA guy’s sexy voice.’ You think I liked that shit?”

Nick smirked at the thought of someone as obnoxious as Emerald crushing on such a straight-laced fuddy-duddy. “But I know Kevin, man,” AJ continued, “and if he wants him to go, then like it or not, you’re stuck with him.”

“Have you read the file? Do you really want America to get their hands on something like that? I thought HimTak was supposed to stay neutral.”

“Part of the glory of being the boss is that I get to read all the files, even yours. I know all about your sister.”

Nick flinched in surprise at AJ’s confession, and his eyes glossed over with the tiniest hint of moisture. AJ squatted down to eye level with Nick and dropped a hand firmly on his shoulder. “If Kevin says we can trust him, then we can trust him. But more than that, I need you to stay focused on this mission. We have reason to believe that whoever stole that weapon is the same organization that was behind the World Idol scandal.”

Flashes of his previous mission whizzed through Nick’s mind, and AJ now had his full attention. “You let Brian worry about that weapon. If we’re dealing with the same people, then there’s a chance that we might be dealing with-

“Drums.”

“You gotta find him, man. He’s our responsibility.”

Nick nodded his head with new determination. He was responsible for that monster; he was. Not AJ, not Himitsu Takana, but he, Nick Carter. And he was going to be the one to stop him.


± ± ±


Footsteps resounded through the metal laboratory as Brian made his way down. It seemed larger and surprisingly more advanced than the many he knew of at the CIA. Kevin had told him to go here for more information on the Russian weapon taken for their next mission, while Nick had been pulled aside by one of the other agents.

Nick, heh. The guy had no self-control and was a poor excuse for any type of agent, and he knew the government never would let someone like him become an agent for the CIA. He was amazed Kevin had let him in. Now his cousin thought it was a good idea to pair them together? Was this some unfair joke?

Brian's sky-colored eyes glanced around for the scientist he was supposed to meet. The "best in the business," as Kevin said, for technology and the ability to get the information they needed.

Sitting at the main table, surrounded by a complicated-looking computer system with many video screens – many displaying what he assumed to be other agents on missions – sat a young woman, younger than him, with loose, curly, blonde hair and bright, blue eyes. Hearing him, she turned with a small smile.

"You must be CIA boy." She smirked. "I could hear you and Blondie fighting all the way down here."

"Blondie?"

"Nick. Jay told me about the new mission, and so I'm trying to hack into the Russian government system." She patted the chair beside her. "Take a seat; shouldn't take too long. The Russian system is easier to hack into than the US one, which, so you know, is shockingly simple."

Was everyone at Himitsu Takana annoying? Or just the ones he was forced to interact with? "Wait a minute-"

"Chill. Call me Pearl, by the way. I was telling you how easy it is so you'd tell them. Besides, HimTak isn't out to attack America; we're out to protect people on a global scale. We're above the petty issues countries have with each other; we just want to keep the peace."

"I want to keep the world safe too, ya know. America has the resources to do that, and-"

Her slender fingers flew across the keyboard as her gaze skipped between the main computer screen and Brian. This woman, this person who was so young (in this business), was the scientist? He wasn’t sure whether to be surprised or impressed. Yet she did annoy him a bit, much like his new partner. “I hear you do things differently at the CIA than their other agents-”

“Whatever is right and gets the job done.”

"So we get each other. ‘Cause it’s really just different ideas, same goal. Can’t say I’m a fan of government-related agents myself, but you seem okay. You're K's cousin, so I know you wouldn't be here unless he trusted you." Her lips curved into a grin as Nick began to make his way into her sanctuary of technology, weapons, and metal. "I like that southern accent of yours, by the way."

"Pearl..." Nick started as he stepped beside Brian, still fuming. Agent Jay had calmed him down a lot. He had a way of doing that, always able to relate to him. Still, the idea of working with this government pawn irritated him to no end. "How's the hack job?"

"Allll-most done. By the way, Blondie, I loved that ‘Mambo No. 5’ performance. I saved that cute little moment on video."

“You can’t…that’s just wrong!”

“What can I say? A performance like that is pure gold.”

The government agent raised a brow. "Maybe instead of trying to play wannabe-hero, Carter, you can sing and leave the world saving to the real agents."

Two pairs of blues met angrily. If looks could kill, both men would have been frozen to death by now from the cold, harsh stares alone. "Not even five minutes, and I am already sick of your ass, Littrell! You couldn't handle this mission on your own. All the government pawns do is fuck things up anyway. I'm on this to save your ass and keep it out of trouble." To Nick, nothing he said was false. The man angered him beyond measure; all that Brian represented was, in his mind, worthless, for more reasons than one.

"You want to try saying that again?" Brian demanded as he stood toe to toe with the taller man with the thicker frame. Still, his eyes never lost that determined look. There were several reasons why he was known by many as The Rok, and this was one of them. This poor excuse of an agent didn’t scare him in the slightest.

"Hey! Agents acting like teenagers drugged up on hormones, I just got into the system!" Pearl's voice called out, interrupting them both before they could go any further.

The two leaned over to take a look, putting the squabble on hold for the moment. Brows furrowed at the site before them. Nick shifted his eyes over to his friend. "I can't read any of it."

"You and me both, buddy. This baby must be big; it's encoded. And I’m almost positive it's in Russian, to boot. A language I only know the basics of. Perfect. I'm okay with codes, but this isn't my area at all, and I'd muck it up. Ugh, we're gonna have to dig up the cryptographer, unless CIA boy knows how to decode this."

"We have a cryptographer?"

"Yeah we do; we just don't need him that often. Okay, where is my communi-com that links me to the specialized areas...?"

The southern man shook his head as he brushed himself free of invisible lint idly. "Forget it. I know a person. She's the best."

"Great, more government people."

"Ya need to shut it right now."

"Why? I'm only speaking the truth. It's like how the US government thinks it can bomb its way to peace. The people don't want it, and yet they fucking do it. Perfect example. And ya know, bombing for peace is like fucking for virginity, and yet the US government is THAT damn stupid-"

Pearl stepped between them yet again before it got ugly, pushing them apart. "Okay don't make me put you two in corners. You're on the mission together. Deal. Brian, where is this cryptographer you mentioned? She really that good?"

A grin slowly made its way across the CIA agent's face, his dimples popping up amidst his defined cheekbones and lighting up his face. Just the thought of his girl made such a difference and easily helped soothe the frustrations he‘d been dealing with. Ashavari… he couldn‘t wait to see her again. "She's the best, and she's in LA."

Pearl beamed at them as she patted the two of them on the back. “Good, you two go, and promise not to kill each other. I will see it, you know. And I’ll find a way to stop it; just ask Nick,” she informed them with a silent chuckle as she thought of the underwear incident from the last mission.

Knowing what she meant, Nick smirked. Ignoring it, he started towards the garage, the door connecting it to the laboratory opening as he did. He paused and turned his head back towards Brian. "Let’s go. Oh, and we're taking MY car."


± ± ±


Once at the car, even Brian was impressed by the sleek appeal the vehicle had. He smirked as Nick used the remote to open the doors. "I'm driving."

"Look, you can't drive."

"Of course I can drive; it's just a car."

Nick rolled his eyes. Stubborn. Typical government, ignoring the people, right? Fine, let him try, but he'd still show him. They both got into the car, Nick discreetly pushing the remote to open the door so Brian could get in thinking all was normal. "No, I mean you cannot drive, you American Idiot." To add on to the insult, he then started singing the Green Day song that inspired said comment. Turning the IPod on, he played the song, letting his own voice blend in.

Don't want to be an American idiot.
Don't want a nation under the new media
And can you hear the sound of hysteria?
The subliminal mind fuck America.


Head banging soon accompanied the singing of the Himitsu Takana agent, as his unwilling partner attempted to ignore him, turning the key in the engine yet again.

Welcome to a new kind of tension.
All across the alien nation.
Where everything isn't meant to be okay.
Television dreams of tomorrow.
We're not the ones who're meant to follow.
For that's enough to argue.

Well maybe I'm the faggot America.
I'm not a part of a redneck agenda.


Seeing the other agent’s face fuming, Nick skimmed back to the last line again, singing it even louder as Brian began to attempt starting up the car. “I’m NOT part of a REDNECK agenda…!”

Snickers were hard to keep in as Brian’s eyes exploded with rage as he kept trying to start the car.

“Your singing is worse than a bunch of starving donkeys wailing for some hay. And your car is a lemon.”

“Heh, told you that you can’t drive it.” Then, just amused by watching, Nick continued singing, his arms waving around for this line like a mocking dance. “Now everybody do the propaganda... And sing along to the age of paranoia...”

Brian smirked back then, agitated and already wishing the mission was over and done with. His accent came through as a result of his inner rage. “Told ya you’d be better off leaving the world-saving to the real men and go off to sing pretty ‘ole songs.”

“Shut up.”

“Stop singing.”

“Hell no. Heh, I don’t care what K says; we can’t trust you, and I wish this mission is done.”

“Well, buddy, that feelin’s mutual. Now why can’t I get this car to start?”

With a roll of his eyes, Nick climbed out of the car. One way or another, they had to save the world. And so they would. He just didn’t have to like it. “Get out.”

“Why?”

“I’m serious, aight? Get out.”

“Fine.”

Nick motioned for him to get in the passenger seat as he took his own seat at the steering wheel. He let a grin escape as the car recognized his fingerprints and suddenly sprang to life. With just a hint of a smile forming, the younger blond agent sped out of the garage.

The car raced down the highway, nothing but desert all around them. Green Day‘s song “Wake Me Up When September Ends” was now on the IPod and made its way through the speakers. Nick took a sideways glance at Brian, whom he knew was wondering why the car wouldn‘t start for him.

Maybe Nick could try the calmer, more mature approach.

“See, Pearl modified the car, and it only lets me or her drive. Heh.”

Brian glanced the car over, took in the add-ons and new technology a classic car like this wouldn’t have. The CIA didn’t give out such neat toys. “It’s alright.” He smirked calmly. “I guess a below-average agent would need aid of extra equipment.” The smirk grew mockingly at Nick.

Or maybe the mature way was stupid.

“Or…” He shrugged, very simply, looking not even bothered by the verbal jab directed at him. “You just wish you had one…” His hand came off of the steering wheel and was soon pointing at Brian. “But you don’t…” The hand went back to the wheel so he could drive, as a set of chuckles escaped. His voice rose in false excitement. “Sucks for you!”

Both men set their jaws, determined not to kill the other, no matter how tempting. One thing was painfully obvious to both. It was going to be a long mission.


± ± ±