- Text Size +
Photobucket



A week had passed after her surgery and Rachel was sitting in the living of the Littrell's house. She was very bored and lonely. Brian had already gone back on the road. He left the day after her surgery and she was growing very bored of lying around the house. Kristin had gone grocery shopping with Jackie and Rachel was left alone with the TV. She sighed as she flipped through the channels. There was nothing on except boring movies. Rachel heard her cell phone go off and looked over at the table. It was barely within her reach, but she grabbed it before her voice mail picked up.

"Hello?" she said softly.

"Oh, sorry, did I wake you?" said Brian.

"No, I was just lounging on the couch," Rachel said as she pulled her blanket up.

"How are you feeling?"

"Really tired," Rachel said with a soft groan. "And sore."

"Yeah, you're gonna be for about three weeks. Just keep resting and eat as often as you can."

"Ugh," Rachel said in disgust. "I haven't been able to eat since the surgery. Your mom makes me eat toast, but that's about all I can handle."

"Sounds about normal. Just keep eating that until your appetite comes back. Have you tried walking around?"

"Only a little around the house. I can walk up the stairs, but I have to stop about every third step. I spend most of my time in the living room."

"Sounds like you're doing okay, though. Has mom been smothering you?" he said with a snicker.

"No, not too bad. She's been really nice. She'll help me get up when I need to and make sure I'm getting my medication on time. She's been really helpful."

"Good, I'm glad you're having an easy recovery. Listen, I gotta go. I just wanted to check on you. We'll be in Lexington in five weeks. I can't wait to see you," he said softly.

"I know, I miss you too," Rachel said with a smile. "I love you."

"I love you too, baby. I'll call you tomorrow," he said then hung up.

Rachel hung up her phone and put it back on the table. She was about to change the channel on the TV when Kristin came in with an armful of groceries.

"Hey, there!" she said cheerfully. "We're back!" she said as she walked into the kitchen.

Jackie walked in with the rest of the groceries. She smiled at Rachel. "I see you're awake from your nap," she said as she set the groceries down in the kitchen and walked into the living room. "Are you hungry?"

"No," Rachel said.

"Well, then, it's toast for you again," Jackie said with a laugh.

Kristin walked into the living room and sat down in the recliner. "How do you feel?" she asked while taking her shoes off.

"A little tired, but not too bad," Rachel said as she sat up a little bit. "I guess the boys are coming here for Thanksgiving. They have two shows here in Lexington."

"Yeah, I know. Nick called last night and told me about it," she said softly.

Rachel could sense that Kristin was growing bored of being in Lexington. As much as she didn‘t want to be alone, she wasn‘t about to let Kristin stress her out. Rachel sighed and looked over at her.

"Kris, you really don't have to stay here the full six weeks. You can go back and see Nick. I'll be fine. Jackie's here to help me."

"I just didn't want you to think I was blowing you off for Nick," Kristin said as she stretched out in the recliner.

"You wouldn't be. I mean, Nick misses you and you miss him. There's not much for you to do around here. I wouldn't be mad if you went back to him. You'll be back here in five weeks either way. Doesn't matter to me."

Kristin raised her eyebrow at Rachel. "Are you trying to get rid of me?"

Rachel looked away from Kristin and rolled her eyes. "No, I'm just saying that why stay here and be bored when you can be with Nick. It sure as hell beats sitting around here with my crippled ass," she said with a grin.

"Well, all I have to do is call him and he'll get me a flight out to where they're at. He'd already told me that."

"So, call him and get your ass on a plane," Rachel said. "I'll be fine, really."

“Okay, but only if you’re sure.”

“Yeah, I’m--”

“Oh, thank god,” Kristin said as she stood up. “I’ve gotta go call Nick,” she said as she headed upstairs.

“You’re welcome,” Rachel mumbled to herself.

Jackie came back into the living room and handed Rachel a plate with two pieces of toast. Rachel sighed and sat up straight.

“Where is she running off to?” Jackie asked as she sat at the end of the couch.

“To call Nick,” Rachel replied as she picked at her toast. “She’s going back to be with him.”

“You don’t sound too thrilled about that idea,” Jackie said while looking at her.

Rachel shrugged. “It’s where she’d rather be.”

“It’s not any of my business, but I think she should stay the full six weeks.”

Rachel shook her head. “I disagree.”

“Do you?”

“Six weeks of Kristin is a bit much,” Rachel admitted. “Trust me on this one. She’s better off being with Nick.”

“If you say so,” Jackie said as she picked up the magazines off the floor and placed them neatly on the coffee table.

“Sorry about the mess. I couldn’t reach the table,” Rachel replied softly.

“Don’t be sorry. It’s perfectly fine.”

“Are you sure?” Rachel asked in a sad tone.

She bit her lip to keep from crying. Jackie looked over at her and patted her leg.

“I think you’re a little stressed. Why don’t you take a nap?”

“Okay,” Rachel said softly.

Jackie picked up her bottle of pain reliever and handed one tablet to Rachel. “Take this and lie down,” she said as she took the plate from her.

Rachel swallowed the pill with some water and settled back under her blanket. She gripped onto the teddy bear that Brian gave her and turned on the TV. The faint sound of Kristin laughing was heard from upstairs. Rachel rolled her eyes and turned the TV up a little louder. She stared blankly at the rerun of Friends and sighed. Rachel was silently counting down the days until she’d be back on the road with Brian. The time seemed so far away and that only made her feel worse.